Do tickets in VA transfer to MD?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Do tickets in VA transfer to MD? within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; I got a ticket for 74 mph in a 55 on 495 in VA.... I live in MD witha MD ...

Do tickets in VA transfer to MD?

I got a ticket for 74 mph in a 55 on 495 in VA.... I live in MD witha MD drivers.... do the points transfer to MD? he said its a 4point ticket and in MD there is no way thats a 4pointer.....

-shahul
    2003 Rally Red Evolution VIII

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yes it will, but it'll be scored by the MD point scale. VA is different (higher) than maryland. I believe MD has 2, 3 and 4 point tickets. VA has 3, 4 and 6 (or 3, 5 and 6) point tickets.

However the limit for points in MD is something like 10 before you go on probation and 12 before you get it suspended. In VA it's something like 18 before you go on probation and 24 before it is suspended. Or something like that.

But it definitely will transfer.
    -Jim

'02 Platinum Silver WRX sedan w/roof rack...bone stock. Ok, now that's a lie.

GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!!

is there a way to do something to get away with no points?

-shahul

will insurance companies see every ticket from everywhere?

-shahul

Exclamation

Insurance companies see everything on your driver's license record in your state. Depending on the state that you get a ticket in, most likely it will appear on your record thanks to the Driver's License Compact. If you got this ticket in Michigan or Wisconsin, your current jurisdiction would NOT have seen the ticket on your record.
    "People who believe they are acting with the mandate of God, who see others who don't share their beliefs as inferior in the eyes of God, make dangerous leaders. Just ask Osama Bin Laden." - Ron Reagan Jr.

You will have to go to court in that state and fight it, try to get it reduced. The only way it won't carry points is if they rule it as a ticket that doesn't have any point value in MD.

Yes, insurance will see anything that shows on your record. Good thing is they only check every 3 years (or so)...its too difficult to check all the time and too expensive. So if you signed up in 2000 for insurance, they checked again in 2003, they won't check again until 2006. So you may not see increased rates for a while.

However, in MD you are required to show proof of insurance when you go to court, which tips off your insurance company to check your record when they get a request for proof. You're in luck though since it is in VA, they won't ask for proof and you'll only have an insurance hike if they check your record soon, and if they deem it 'bad' enough to raise your rates.

I had a ticket (two actually... but about 8 years apart) and it didn't increase my rates at all. State Farm loves me I guess!

Good luck with the ticket.
    -Jim

'02 Platinum Silver WRX sedan w/roof rack...bone stock. Ok, now that's a lie.

GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!!

shahul

what's up mang?
    You finally got a ticket huh?
    Sorry to hear that. How's coffee shop thing going? And wedding plan? Um...I can't reach you on your phone...so .. anyways... If you get 8 points within 2 years, then you'll get your license suspended in MD. Trust me...u know how many tickets I got.
    I just came back from Driver's Improvment class few weeks ago. On VA points transfering to your insurance company thing. I think it may depend on your insurance company. When I went with Geico...they saw both VA/MD points I stacked up. However, my Farmer's Insurance.., only saw MD points that I collected. So... you might want to do some search on that.

Hit me up dude.

-soul

A few years ago I got a ticket on the Dulles toll road doing 90 trying to get someone to the airport and since my speed was "excessive" they also hit me with reckless driving. I live in MD as well and was extremely worried about these tickets showing up on my record in MD. So I went to Fairfax County court and they hit me with every fine they could but they did not say how many points it would be. Anyway I never got hit by my insurance company (Erie) and I just switched insurance this week and my record came back clean. By the way when I switched from Erie to eSurance (www.esurance.com) my WRX insurance went from $1,100 a year to $700 a year.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.