Cleveland Westside: Installing up/dn Saturday - Beer!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Cleveland Westside: Installing up/dn Saturday - Beer! within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; and Pizza! I'm going to go ahead and give it a go with the up/down pipe install. Saturday, April 16 ...

I Support ClubWRX

Cleveland Westside: Installing up/dn Saturday - Beer!

and Pizza!

I'm going to go ahead and give it a go with the up/down pipe install.

Saturday, April 16 mid-morning, in Avon (and probably comtinuing on Sunday...)

I'm going to go get my e-check at 8:00 (as suggested by a guy at work) and then get started. I've got to take off a few minutes at 10:30 and 11:15, but someone will be here all day.

Anybody that is interested can come and help, watch, hang out, or whatever. There's a TV, stereo, and Pachinco game in the garage, and I just got two cases of beer to tide me over (Corona and Killians.) If anyone comes, I'll order some pizza, too. We've got a few lawn chairs, too.

Google my phone number for a map and address: (4XX) 934-1093 (Those in the area know the area code )

Steve (wrxspins4), this might be a good time to swap those intake hoses.

I'd sure appreciate any help or company!
    Thanks,
    Steve

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA - Moderator - Fun Drives and North Central States
    The Morris Garage
    2008 Outback 2.5XT Ltd __2002 WRX Wagon __ 1958 MGA Roadster __ 2008 smart Cabrio __ and a few scooters...
    Bugeye Mafia #338

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i'll be there in spirit, i'm in St. Louis until sunday.
    good luck and use plenty of liquid wrench.

and if for some reason that you need an OBD-II scanner, i have one of those too.

I Support ClubWRX
    We'll see how it goes. I may still be working on it until you get back!

Posted here and LERSOC, with no response... It was sorta short notice, but I posted that I was thinking about it on LERSOC the other day. Guess it'll just be me and 48 beers

And autocross is Sunday, so no one will be available then.

The Morris Garage
    2008 Outback 2.5XT Ltd __2002 WRX Wagon __ 1958 MGA Roadster __ 2008 smart Cabrio __ and a few scooters...
    Bugeye Mafia #338

I Support ClubWRX
    Early morning bump.

Going to go get my e-check. Then I'll be right back.
    Stop by for a cold one, or just for company.

Steve

The Morris Garage
    Bugeye Mafia #338

PIZZA!!!

How did it go, Steve?
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

I Support ClubWRX
    Well, almost done...

Got my e-check, and came home, moved the two roadsters out of the garage, and put the WRX up on ramps and jack-stands, and took off the front right wheel. Sprayed the nuts with PB Blaster, and went in and had breakfast. Then took the midget to ballet. Came back and started taking things off the top of the engine. Stuff came off pretty easily, and I didn't run into any problems. Then time to pick up the midget. (Beautiful day here for a ride in the MGA, BTW.)

Came back, and got going in earnest. A friend of mine and his buddy (Don and Mike) from work came over, and then Mike (BigMike25rs.) Continued to remove parts, and BS. Then Bob (AhClem) and Steve (wrxspins4) got there just in time for the pizza to arrive! Don and mike left somewhere in there.

After pizza, Steve swapped out the intake hose we traded in the fall, while Bob and I tore into the exhaust, with Mike supervising. Man, I can't believe how rusty those exhaust bolts and nuts got in only 15,000 miles! After many attempts (with time in between to let more PB Blaster do its thing) we finally took the joint apart at the spring joint after the midpipe, and set it aside.

Mike and Steve left, and Bob and I kept at it all afternoon/evening. We busted a deep wall 14mm socket on one of the turbo-to-uppipe nuts, and took off in the MGA for a replacement from Craftsman. Also ended up getting a 1/2 drive impact socket so we wouldn't bust another. Wouldn't you know it, but when we got back, the nut was loose...

The Crucial Racing System uppipe went in perfect, with no problems lining anything up, and included gaskets are really nice pieces. Russ even includes a turbo-to-downpipe gasket, so that saved me $15.

Bob and I undid the motor mounts on both sides and jacked the motor up a couple inches. We didn't have to take the manifold off at all, something I was dreading.

Put on the Oakos Automotive downpipe, and torqued things down, and then Bob called it a day. It was about 9:00 PM by then.

Chris (Cap'n Frame) stooped by sometime after 9:00 with his STi with 3" Buscher full exhaust on it. That's the first STi I've seen on the road. Very nice!

I finished putting the rest of the parts back on top, but still had the downpipe/midpipe joint We couldn't get apart. Tried PB Blaster, heat, pipe wrench (nut rounded over by now) and Craftsman's damaged thread remover (another tool I picked up today.) I finally got it apart about 11:00 this evening, after getting everything else installed and cleaned up. I hammered the thread remover tool onto the nut, and then continued to hammer on it while pulling on the wrench. It finally broke loose. That gasket is in poor shape, but I'll put it in tomorrow until I can get a new one. I'll also need a couple nuts, and probably replace the spring bolt/nut from the back of the mid-pipe. That one was in pretty poor shape too. We kept thinking it was twisting off.

So, tomorrow I'll put the mid-pipe in, wire up the O2 and CEL thingies, and take it for a spin.

And, you know I just had to start it up after I got things together tonight. This is with no cats, and dumping right at the end of the dhort downpipe. It is just a little loud!

Thanks Mike, Steve, Chris, and especially Bob for stopping by for moral support, and in Bob's case doing almost as much of the work as I did! And thanks to TubbyTreats for an excellent set of illustrated instructions. I also used the Perrin instructions, and the ones Russ sent with the uppipe, but Tubby's were very complete and most helpful!

And the weirdest part? I still have all my beer! So if anyone wants to stop by anytime, you are more than welcome. As I've told the guys at work, anytime the garage is open, the drinking light is on!

Thanks again, guys. I couldn't have done it without you!

(BTW, Hey Bob. Did you see the old uppipe-to-manifold gasket? I didn't find it anywhere. I hope we didn't double gasket! It doesn't look like it, so it must have got tossed before you came.)

Driveway full of toys

Mike

Bob and Steve

Last edited by smorris; 04-17-2004 at 10:03 PM.

The Morris Garage
    Bugeye Mafia #338

Ahh the locals!

Steve, my bolts were rusted after 2000 miles when I put on my DP!

I'm sorry I couldn't have made it, I was occupied all day. I've done so many DP/Uppipe installs I feel like I could have sped up the process. Next time, next time!

Can't wait for the big summer meet (that we need to start organizing)
    -Ryan |Dub-Yuh Our Ex Ess Tee Eye| My Car

Originally posted by RLsChMiDt

Can't wait for the big summer meet (that we need to start organizing)
    Count me and Timdog in.
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

I Support ClubWRX
    ...continued.

Sunday

Got up late. Lazied around, and finally got started in the garage about 11:00. Decided to do the electrical parts first, before lunch. Easy as pie. Just pulled the plug for the EGT sensor, cut it off, and crimped on the resistor. Heat shrinked and taped it off, and plugged it back in. The O2 sensor was just about as easy, since I had the 3rd cat (mid-pipe) on the bench anyway. Just twice as many connections. I really sealed this one up, since it is under the car. I placed it as close to the plug as I could so as to be out of the weather.

Had lunch, and the rest of the family took off for other places. Ever notice how much the phone rings when you are on your back under the car?

(Side note: ATT Wireless called to try to sell me their phone service. I told them I already had two ATT Wireless accounts, and to not bother me, especially on Sunday. She said "Go to Hell!" and hung up! 8O I was so pissed off that I called ATT Wireless custumer service to complain and told them I'd continue to write complaining about it on my bill. Not that I expect it to do any good...)

Anyway, I crawl back under the car, and soon hear a crash! The basketball net blew over and is laying across the hood of Deb's Audi A6! I get out to look, and the rim is setting on the driveway, with the top of the backboard 1/4" from the grill. The grill has a couple skuff marks on it, but no damage. I can't imagine how bad it would have looked with the rim coming down in the middle of that aluminum hood!

Back under the car: As noted on Saturday, the downpipe-to-midpipe gasket is shot, but I'll use it anyway until I get another. It is easy to get to, and I used plenty of anti-sieze. After trying to use the ruined nut, and with no spares left over, I decide to go to Home Depot for a couple metric nuts. I know they are cheap ones, but I'll just use them until I get new (along with the gasket.) Long line at HD for just two $.32 nuts. But it was another good excuse to drive the MGA.

Get home and open the garage back up, and mount the mid-pipe. No problems, but the spring clamp at the donut gasket is in pretty poor condition. I'll replace those, too.

Start the car up, and sure enough, there's exhaust and condensation coming out the bad gasket. Doesn't feel like any other leaks, though. I'll clean up, and take it for a spin.

Walk around the back of the car, and wonder why the tailgate (it is a wagon) is part way up??? Uh, oh. Bad feeling! Remember when I took that joyride to Home Depot a while ago to get the nuts. Guess who forgot to put the tailgate down before closing the garage door. Big skuff marks where the garage door drug down where it used to say S U B A R U. I can polish some of it out, but not all. Arrrggghhhh!

Finally, (and the point y'all wondered whether I'd EVER get to...) I took it for a test drive. The term "bad a$$" was used recently to describe CJ's Buscher up/dn installation, and I have to concur! What a wonderful growl it has. Almost, but not quite, too loud for a family car. The wagon makes it a little louder than I expect it would be on a sedan, but it sure sounds great!

Open the throttle: Bah! Where'd the power go?!?!?! It's stumbling and running like crap! Let off the throttle and all is fine. Boost goes to 5-7, and things start to run horrible. Back home to contemplate taking things apart again looking for leaks.

Don, (from work from Saturday morning) stops by again, and I start to retorque the nuts I can get to. Five of the six on the down pipe (that can't make a difference. That's after everything is already done...) Then three of the five on the top of the turbo/uppipe connection. Nope, they're fine. Now I gotta take off the downpipe???

Then Don reaches in and wiggles around the intercooler to intake hose clamp. Oops. Forgot something. Oops, also forgot the clamp on the cool outlet side of the turbo. I had built myself a homemade low pressure BOV!

Two minutes later, and time for another test run. That's more like it! Lots more torque, and freer spooling than I expected. I drive around like a grandpa, sppeding up, then slowing down, just so I can speed up again. I'm a happy camper. Where's the nearest Honduh?

Then I go home, wash up, and celebrate with three of those beers I bought for y'all.

Would I do it all over? Yea. It was time consuming, but not really anything hard (other than getting the exhaust apart, which wouldn't be necessary for anyone who gets a downpipe that doesn't keep the 3rd cat. I was sure sore Sunday morning, but I learned a lot about the innards of my car. I'd never seen a turbo before. I thought it would be bigger!

I don't know. Bob: Are we gonna do this again? This time on a red wagon? I think we know how, now.

Thanks again for everyone's help, encouragement, and suggestions. I'd probably not have tackled this without the support.

And thanks, Russ and Dave, for making great parts that do what they are advertised to do. Dave's downpipe fit perfectly, sealed great (at least on the end with the good gasket) and is well made. It has the bracket that connects to the transmission, which I think is missing on others. Crucial Racing's uppipe is a work of art! Perfect welds, surface ground mounting faces, new studs and full gasket set included, heat treated, bead blasted, high temp coated inside and out. It is a masterpiece. Great job, Russ! Maybe late to the game, but definitely with a quality part!

Thanks all,
    Steve

(Sheesh, it's another epic! Does anyone actually read all the crap I write? )
    Last edited by smorris; 04-19-2004 at 06:32 PM.

The Morris Garage
    Bugeye Mafia #338

ah....... guess its a little too late now. i just read this. haha. i would of liked to stop by and hang out, and learn some things (just got my rex last week). but maybe sometime in the future...

Nice little story to read there. Wish I could come over and have a beer with ya, but thats about 2000 miles away.
    2009 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L Belize Blue Pearl

2000 Yamaha R6
    10.123 At 131.9mph (Dyno Drags)
    111.1hp@wheel

2002 Aspen White 5MT WRX - Sold

I Support ClubWRX
    Adam: Hey, I drove all the way to Hickory last year. You can come up here!

(Went to Duke, NC State, and UNC to tour the campuses, and then went over to...um....that big house everyone goes to west of you. I'm drawing a blank... )

theGame: Stop by anytime. Fair warning. The old fart title is apt. When Mike got out of his car Saturday morning, and I went out to meet him, he had this "Dude, where's your kid" look on his face. I was kidding him about it later. I *am* a kid. Just in a 50 year old wrapper.

The Morris Garage
    Bugeye Mafia #338

i'll be in the area, cna i stop by if you still have any beer?

I Support ClubWRX
    You betcha! Google the number in the first post for directions. I get home a little after 5:00

(Didn't I just reply to you about this? )

The Morris Garage
    Bugeye Mafia #338

Steve,
    You should write Tutorials for things like this. You..by far...write the most comprehensive posts I've read.

big

That's awesome, I'm glad to see you've tinkered with your car a little bit, and I bet you are definitly content with the power....(for now)

Keep us posted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast