In Iraq now! But selling my A4 and looking for a WRX...please help.

This is a discussion on In Iraq now! But selling my A4 and looking for a WRX...please help. within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Well, I've always liked WRX's and now that I've been deployed and am in Iraq (Baghdad, yay), I'm selling my ...

In Iraq now! But selling my A4 and looking for a WRX...please help.

Well, I've always liked WRX's and now that I've been deployed and am in Iraq (Baghdad, yay), I'm selling my A4. I wanted the versatility of AWD but with more fun factor than the audi. Now, I'm not into street racing or any of that stuff, I got that out of my system a while back, but I do want a car that's fun performance wise. It seems from everything I've read that she'll do just fine. Some questions....

How is it as a daily driver???? Supportive seats are great for aggressive driving but how are they for normal, long drives?

Are the trannys quick to go bad or is that just a rumor?

Also, is the paint really quick to scratch/chip?

I'm going to be purchasing one shortly after I get home (next march sometime, hopefully) and if there's anything to watch out for specifically, please let me know. Internet access is limited here so any info you guys could give would be great. Thanks a lot....
    Matt, camp slayer, baghdad
    "If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've had my '04 for exactly 7 months as of today. I love the car. It is fun to drive, seats the bolster you during turns, gets decent gas mileage for a sporty car, and feels like it was put together well. I cannot complain at all. My only problem, I barely drive the car. It has only 3800 miles on it, in 7 months. That's isn't a lot. I'll be lucky if I hit 6,000 miles on it by its one year anniversary (9/11) in my possession.
    "People who believe they are acting with the mandate of God, who see others who don't share their beliefs as inferior in the eyes of God, make dangerous leaders. Just ask Osama Bin Laden." - Ron Reagan Jr.

We are fanatical about this car. It's got tons of character, and a lot of the owners do to. Fast, comfortable, and a great platform from which to start modding. AWD rules, and there is now an abundunce of great after market parts available. Welcome to our world and make damn sure y'all get home safe to enjoy owning one of these beasts!

p.s. Why don't you post here periodically to let us know how you're keeping? God speed
    A lot of power is good, more is better, and too much is perfect. I mean, if less is more, think how much more more is...

Just to get some rumors out of the way.

Paint - Yes the paint is fairly thin, but all cars chip, the WRX just chips a little bit faster. A good thing to get would be the clear shield stuff. I put some of that on my hood, cant really tell its there unless you are 3 feet away, and it should protect the car for years.

Tranny - This all depends on how you drive and how many mods you get. If you keep it stock and can drive a manual decent and don't launch the car hard all the time it will last as long as the car. If you drop the clutch, or slip it at 6000 rpm it won't last that long, but what oem tranny would. Most people would agree the stock tranny is good for up to 300 hp.

Overall I think you would be pretty happy with the car, its not as luxurious as a A4, but its a lot more fun. The 04 seats aren't as good as the 02/03 ones, but still good. The interior quality is not great, but its not bad either, better then a $25k GM/Ford/Chrysler, but less then a $25k Acura. Also to note, the car is easy to work on, you can change the oil without lifting the car, just his weekend I changed my coolant and rear diff fluid without lifting the car as well.

A good simple first mod/mods would be a Cobb AccessPort, and a Downpipe, then uppipe, then catback. That will get you some good reliable hp (~290), for under 2000 bucks. Also if you like suspension and handling, look into getting some takeoff STI struts and springs, they can be had for around 600-700 dollars and help with handling a lot. As for brakes, a good start would be Pads/Stainless steel lines/Fluid, a good pad that lots of people like are carbotech bobcats, for ss lines look at stoptech or goodridge, and for fluid I like ATE Super Blue.

Well that pretty much sums up a lot of things people ask about, usually when people ask all this stuff we would say search first, but since your over in Iraq and I am here in the USA, I figure I would do what I can for you. good luck over there.

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

i would like to toss in my 2 cents.....

first, i would like to say thank you for going over there and taking care of business. I hope all goes well for you, and you return safely.

I love my car. i have an 02 and i am so happy with it. The paint is fairly weak, but if you take care of it properly you will be amazed at how good it holds up. My tranny is just as good as the day as when i bought it, as well as my clutch. The dealer said they have never seen a wrx with 35k_+ on it with such a good clutch, driven by someone younger...23.

Audi is too much $ for what you get. go subaru!
    "The only real sports are bull fighting, mountain climbing, and auto racing; all the others are just games"-E. Hemmingway

Politics aside, we support you guys/gals in Iraq. Keep your head down and come home safe so you can enjoy the WRX.
    04 STI
    FPGreen