friendly emmisions in NY?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on friendly emmisions in NY? within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Anyone have trouble passing NY emissions with the downpipe cat removed? I still have the 3rd cat in, and the ...

friendly emmisions in NY?

Anyone have trouble passing NY emissions with the downpipe cat removed? I still have the 3rd cat in, and the uppipe cat (which will be removed shortly). Also, does anyone know of a "friendly place" to get tested? Thanks
    catless Cobb stage 2

"That's only a v-4! My v-6 will beat you anyday" - dumbass

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I passed emissions 50% under all legal limits on carbon and CO fully catless scoobysport turboback in NY. I went to exxon and the guys were shocked when they saw the readout on my data sheet for my emissions. I would highly recommend you drive your car for like 25-30 minutes, then it should be fine (warmer cats = more efficient). Having a top notch dyno tune really helps, but not really necessary.

Good luck,

~Tim

wow. where did you do the emission at? Gas station or DMV?
    How do they do the inspection at gas station? Do they actually do the "sniff"? I am planing on go catless soon and was wondering how to get the car inspected when the time comes.

I was hoping go to a dmv aproved gas station and pay the fee and get the sticker lol.

Most gas stations with garages are able to do it. I went to a local Exxon after 30 minutes of hard driving and they did a safety inspection of my vehicle for 25 minutes, checking brake pads, lights, tires, etc. Then, since it's an AWD car, they let it idle as they put a probe at the end of the tailpipe. The readings then determine if I passed.

End of story.

I have to add a disclaimer though. I attribute my low emissions to my dyno tune, which is SPOT ON, nearly perfect, and with my Prodrive ECU, it runs great. If you're catless and untuned, you may have problems running rich, which will cause you to have much higher emissions readings. All in all though, I'd say that warm catless car should pass NY inspection. If not, throw on the stock DP and try again

~Tim

thanx! I didn't know the gas staion actually test the exhaust readings. Oh well I guess my best bet is to swich the dp back when it comes to the inspection time. I don't have to do it for another 3 years anyways. Im in NJ btw so I figured the standard shouldn't be that far apart from NYC.

Btw how's the prodrive ECU? Plug n play on 02 WRX? What improvements does it have and how much is it?

thanx again

I can't tell you how much or anything like that, since i bought the car modded from a friend of mine. What I can tell you is that the car puts down nearly 300 whp with a vf23, almost unheard of for that turbo. The ability for the prodrive ecu to manage timing and boost properly sets it apart from other engine management. It is fairly pricey though, so buyer beware.

~Tim

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.