82 in a 55 in MARYLAND, need advice....:(

This is a discussion on 82 in a 55 in MARYLAND, need advice....:( within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; so i was on my way home from Ocean City, MD and im going with the flow of traffic. I ...

82 in a 55 in MARYLAND, need advice....:(

so i was on my way home from Ocean City, MD and im going with the flow of traffic. I was in the right lane, and a ford van right to the left of me. we were both speeding not sure at what mph but it was over 70 mph. Then i see a state trooper driving on the other side of the highway, of coarse he looks right at me and starts slowing down to turn around. He was using a radar gun that was mounted on the rear driverside window. so he pulls me over. and says im doing 82 in a 55. I asked him how he figured that out and he said i got you on moving radar. Now if i heard correctly isnt moving radar very in-accurate. In the sense that if his speed changes that the speed shown on the radar will change. Beside that the van next to me was going just as fast as i was. yet i was pulled over. i was also in the right lane.

The cop then said that i can either plead not guilty in court or send a letter requesting leanancy from the judge. I already have i think 2 or 4 points. I was thinking about talking to a lawyer to see what he/she would suggest, but i dont have that kinda money right now being in college. If anyone has any info on what i should do. please lemme know. Thanks everyone

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

wow you actualy got pulled over in MD?

Radar's come a long way since it was first introduced. I'm sure whatever he was aiming at was moving about 82MPH. Whether it was you or not is a different story.

My advice - slow down.
    Chris
    1999 Impreza RS - 12.096 @ 114.63
    2002 WRX - 12.602 @ 111.08
    1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 11 second scrap pile - SOLD

nice avatar swirvin

Thank Doc, i had a really nice one, but was too close for comfort so i had to tone it down a notch
    i guess u could say i enjoy pushing things to the limit. Neway, could use some suggestions. thanks

Originally posted by MrDoctor
    wow you actualy got pulled over in MD?
    Hmm, its been my experience that MD cops are the meanest SOBs ever...especially with the younger set of drivers.

If it were me, i would pay the fine because i just hate standing in front of the judge and telling he/she what happened. If you don't mind standing in front of the judge, i'd say to plead not guilty and tell them there is absolutely no way he clocked you doing 82mph, tell them the van in the lane next to you was passing you at a much higher speed than you were traveling at. This is just my suggestion. Good luck.

steve
    2002 SRP WRX Sold .......i need another wrx
    13.3 @99mph with a mbc

03 Honda Element
    1992 Civic hb W/B20 SOLD

Good luck. I was caught going 82 in a 55... I paid.
    ^..^

Beware of people who dislike cats. -Irish Proverb

1. Ask when the radar was last calibrated.
    2. Ask for the print out showing your speed.
    3. Ask when the trooper was trained on the radar gun and do they have to receive periodic training.

These items are to raise doubt in what the trooper cited you for. Hopefully you get a judge who is sypathetic.
    04 STI
    FPGreen

tan
    Originally posted by 04blkWRX
    Hmm, its been my experience that MD cops are the meanest SOBs ever...especially with the younger set of drivers.
    My only 2 speeding tickets were in MD. One on the Beltway, the other...Rte 50 on the way to Easton (I think in Queen Anne Co)...both 70 in a 55 zone

My best advice....ask the judge for leniency.

If you fight and end up losing....it's at least 4 points on the license, probably wreckless driving....so things aren't looking good. Hella high insurance rates also.