Gas + Exhaust Fumes= Headache

This is a discussion on Gas + Exhaust Fumes= Headache within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Got a question for those of you in the cold states: The interior of my car has been filling up ...

Question Gas + Exhaust Fumes= Headache

Got a question for those of you in the cold states:

The interior of my car has been filling up with a smell that smells like a mixture of exhaust and gas fumes. It's really bad and is giving me a headache. I also noticed that after driving home from work at lunch and parking it in my garage the smell filled the garage. It just started happening and I was wondering if any of you had any ideas or if it has happened to you too?
    2002 Silver WRX Wagon
    UTEC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Probably because it is a running vehicle, which produces exhaust fumes, is in your garage, which is an enclosed place. Just be careful, cause that carbon monoxide can be a prob if you inhale a lil too much.
    --Chris
    2011 DGM WRX hatch - Kartboy SS

04 WRX wagon - 304whp Mods - SOLD
    LISC #3
    www.longislandsubaruclub.com

If it is really cold where you are the gas smell may be a fuel leak. THe early 02 WRX's have a TSB that covers some hose changes. I would do a search to see if that's your problem.
    Life is just one unifinishable project

found my answer

Subaru has a TSB out about exactly what I was smelling. I guess when the temp drops low something happens with the hoses connecting to the fuel line. The hose must be replaced along with the fuel pipe assembly. I guess its a problem on early 2002 model WRXs. If anyone else has a similar problem the TSB is #09-36-03. Or you can search NASIOC, thats where I found the answer.

Contacted my dealership and they are going to fix it next week!
    2002 Silver WRX Wagon
    UTEC

Thanks Mandra, I guess we posted at the same time.
    2002 Silver WRX Wagon
    UTEC

I must be immune. Or I hope I am. I got mine in May of '01 (Early MY02), and it gets a little chilly in these parts.

If any such leak happens, I'm assuming they won't balk at a TSB just because I have exhaust mods.

Thursday Night
    Mostly clear. Lows 10 below to 15 below.
    02 WRX Sedan, Silver ("Bugeye")
    TXS Up-pipe, Turbo-back w/cat, Cobb AccessECU Stage 2.
    97 Legacy Outback, White
    Stock. Very stock.

If some of you haven't passed the magic mile count on your car (36K miles), it will be fixed for free. I don't think TSBs are fixed for free after the warranty expires. TSBs are not recalls. Recalls are issued for safety reasons. Thankfully, my car has not been subjected to a TSB or recall... yet.
    "People who believe they are acting with the mandate of God, who see others who don't share their beliefs as inferior in the eyes of God, make dangerous leaders. Just ask Osama Bin Laden." - Ron Reagan Jr.

Originally posted by vtjim
    I must be immune. Or I hope I am. I got mine in May of '01 (Early MY02), and it gets a little chilly in these parts.
    So I'm driving home from work today, and it's zero degrees out.

I'm driving somewhat spiritedly, as the cold air does nice things for boost.

I nearly got home when... I smelled gas! Definitely from my car. I backed into the garage and the garage smelled like gas, too. The smell went away after a short time though.

I guess I'm not immune. I suppose conditions were right this time.

Next question: How hard is this to take care of? Is it just a quick fix for the dealer, or do I have to leave the car?

From what I know if the dealer has the part they can fix the problem in a couple of hours.

I'll post what happens on Wednesday when I take it in.
    2002 Silver WRX Wagon
    UTEC