Emission Inspection Issue in VA
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Emission Inspection Issue in VA within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Hi I have a 03 wrx and I just put cat less down pipe and uppipe.. the problem is that ...

Emission Inspection Issue in VA

Hi I have a 03 wrx and I just put cat less down pipe and uppipe..
    the problem is that I live in VA and I need to get emission inspection next year..

I really don't wanna go through that hard labor to put the uppipe and downpipe again. Is there anyway I can pass emission? or is there a place that let you go easily?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

VA should give you the first 3 years w/o emissions, but that aside, you will have to put at least one cat back in the system to pass a sniffer test. As far as the visual inspection, that depends on the inspector. He probably won't see the up-pipe, so your clear there, but the dp will be a dead give away especially if you don't have a cat somewhere.

Understand that you are "technically" illegal once you take a cat off the car, however that doesn't mean you wan't pass emissions.

In VA with an AWD car most places can only do a sniffer test any way so you are fairly safe.

I'm in a similar boat, I have only one cat (in the mid-pipe) and mine will be up next year. I'm more worried about the visual than the actual emissions.

tan
    move to a part of virginia that does not require the sniffer test. If you're in Northern Virginia...

Prince William county (except for Manassas and Manasssas Park)
    Loudon County (except I think Leesburg)....

hehe, Tan, only if it were that easy to move around. And in VA its every 2 years for emissions, mine is coming up in May. But really, to re-install a downpipe takes what, an hour, maybe 1.5 hours. I run catless right now. I will just bolt in the stock dp and midpipe when the time comes and then put my catless pieces in after the inspection, half a day wasted, but I like driving catless. I mean really you should only have to do emissions inspections after 5 years, if someone really wants to run catless they will. They need only worry about the old cars on the road that have burned up their cats long ago.

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

tan
    I think that's one of the points of emissions testing...to see if someone tampered with the emissions controls system, such as the cat.

tan
    Luckily for me...it's just a quick visual, not a full blown sniffer like the Pittsburgh and Philadelphia areas

your lazy

Don't be so gosh darn lazy. It's easy to put that stuff back on.
    www.ray.wroten.com/interest.htm

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.