Should a VR6 beat me?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Should a VR6 beat me? within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; This frigin' Volkswagen GTI VR6 hung with me and started to pull away when we launched from a light. Although ...

Should a VR6 beat me?

This frigin' Volkswagen GTI VR6 hung with me and started to pull away when we launched from a light. Although performance wise I am virtually stock, I couldn't believe my eyes at first. It was at the next light ,though, I talked the guy and he was spraying a 75 shot of NOS. We ran about a quarter mile of straight away with no interference and his front door never passed the front bumper of my rex. Pretty impressed of the rex after finding out the full deal on the VR6 but still looked disgraceful to anybody watching (which people were, I don't really care though, let um' hate) Just thought I would share that, don't let this happen to you!
    Last edited by 04silver bullet; 08-24-2003 at 09:07 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hell no. Stock GTI won't touch a WRX stock.
    Never stop learning.

yeah id also say a stock vr6 wouldnt take a stock wrx. more then likly he had mods that he didnt mention.
    If they dont sell it, BUILD IT.

Originally posted by ej20gc8
    yeah id also say a stock vr6 wouldnt take a stock wrx. more then likly he had mods that he didnt mention.
    that or you can't drive
    -Ryan |Dub-Yuh Our Ex Ess Tee Eye| My Car

Obviously, if he never pulled more than a door panel ahead and is running a fogger system w/ a 75 shot nozzle on a 200hp V6, I didn't lose because I'm not a good driver. Just saying, looks can be decieving and it scared the hell out of me at first. I thought I just dropped $27,000 on a sports car that can get it a$$ handed to it buy a Volkswagen. I have been in love with the Imprezas for many years now and I found myself almost second guessing my choice to buy one when this all went down. I'm over it now though
    Last edited by 04silver bullet; 09-02-2003 at 01:25 PM.

The VR6 is an AWESOME engine. They can handle SO much power it is crazy. In stock form they are not enough to hang with a WRX, but once they get turbocharged look out!!! The EIP GTI is running very low 10's and I think has seen 9's. Granted, that thing is so modified it is ridiculous, but a well tuned turbocharged VR6 is a serious beast.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

Originally posted by 04silver bullet
    ...I thought I just dropped $27,000 on a sports car...
    $27,000? did you buy every option that subaru offered for the car?
    s e t h
    "If you're going to live on the cutting edge, you'd better be prepared to bleed a little."
    Stink-Eye Mob #73, Hawkeye Alliance #667

Every WRX I look at was factory loaded on the lot, they all had every option available. Even the 03's were loaded, some with aftermarket parts on them such as clear reflectors and taillights. There are only three Subaru Dealers in my entire state and they really didn't have much selection, but one had exactly what I was looking for. I intially wanted a MY02 or 03 but couldn't find a reasonable one that hasn't had it a$$ kicked by some idiot already. Plus all of the 03 were going for a measly $500 less than the MY04, I mean were talking $500 difference between the old hotness (still love em' though) and the new hotness. I really couldn't shop around too much cause my truck was getting ready to bite the dust and I couldn't be without a vehicle. $27,000 really is about average for a brand new Rex round these parts still to this day. Mine was straight off of the truck the night before I bought it and other than the person who drove it of the truck, I was the first and only person who drove my car. It still was wrapped in shrink wrap w/ the foam blocks when I found it. She was a virgin
    Last edited by 04silver bullet; 09-02-2003 at 08:32 PM.

A stock VR6 24 will quite easily keep pace with a stock WRX from a roll...and on motorways forget it, it'll pull away...it's got alot more balls on top than it's given credit.

VW's in general have miserable launching abilities...even when compared to other FWD cars...but their midrange and top ends more than make up for the rest of the car...if you challenge a VR6, make sure you don't do it from a roll and make sure it's below 60...

Mengineer, sounds like you or a close friend own one. Thank you for telling it like it is. I love my VR and that is exactly what I love and hate about it. Fast on the highway and sucks from a dig.

Everyone is like a friggin' 1.8 fan boy, so in order to get a run from a decent car I have to come in here and regulate the ish talk.

BTW, no disrespect from me. I love the WRX. Just tryin to tell it like it is so i can get a run with something quick
    I sell wheels and other accesories. Tell me what you need.

Sleepers are cool. Hell I just got walked on top end by a 96-97 STOCK looking accord on the highway. I was wondering why the sound of DOHC VTEC was humming right next to me... h22 swap. Then we stopped at the tolls, i let him launch, then I proceeded to easily take him. What a stock wrx lacks in the top end, it surely makes up for in the launch.

The WRX sucks at the topend esp. when stock! There is too much restiction in the exhaust system to let the car flow freely. After 100mph the turbo loses it's efficientcy due to the cats and baby piping. I'd beware of any FWD racing from a roll since they don't have the drag of the AWD system.

-alex
    ps I got the same treatment when I ran a GTI 1.8 turbo, those things are freeway monsters.

I had a 2000 VR6 Jetta, w/ major mods done to it (engine, ECU, exhaust, brakes and suspention). No way It could hang w/ my WRX though. Get a uppipe it will help with top end. An ECU flash will help too. Damn NOS!!!

I just bought a STi!!!

Love it!!!

Get a uppipe it will help with top end.
    How? It will allow your turbo to spool faster but then the exhaust gasses will backed up by the two cats in the downpipe and the restrictive midpipe and rear section. Your WRX will still have trouble breathing properly esp. in the high end department.

An ECU flash will help too.
    By changing the stock fuel maps on a stock turbo without any other modifications, how are you going to gain topend power. The torque and peak HP might change but in the low and midrange area at most.

Please correct me cuz I WANT TO BE WRONG, but I'm sure that if one is to get top-end power, you have to make your exhaust system flow more freely.

-alex

Originally posted by 04EJ20
    I had a 2000 VR6 Jetta, w/ major mods done to it (engine, ECU, exhaust, brakes and suspention).
    I hate to break the news, but a chip and exhaust are not major mods. Matter of fact, I would go so far as to say that since a chip really does little more than add a little fuel here and there and advance timing it really isn't even much of a mod.

I'd put a stock 24 valve against a stock WRX. The only reason the stock WRX has such good 1/4 times is the launch. You trap at or lower than what a stock 12 valve does. I'm not gonna mess with a REX at a light, but on the highway, with not too many mods I ain't skeerd.
    I sell wheels and other accesories. Tell me what you need.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.