September 13-14 - Thruport R5 Road Rallye starting in Richmond, VA

This is a discussion on September 13-14 - Thruport R5 Road Rallye starting in Richmond, VA within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; The URL: Thruport R5 Website The Playing Field: 500 Miles The Playing Piece: Your Vehicle The Price: 5 ! ! ...

Exclamation Thruport R5 Royal Red Rex Road Rallye Invite!

The URL: Thruport R5 Website
    The Playing Field: 500 Miles
    The Playing Piece: Your Vehicle
    The Price: $145 ! ! !(Price includes hotel and afterparty for driver & navigator)

Crossroad Auto & Race Enthusiasts is proud to be the Official Sponsor of the R5 Road Rallye. The R5 will be a 500 Mile time-speed-distance rallye. Speeding is not required because it does not get you any closer to the "target time" established in advance by the Routemeister by pre-running the course in a variety of cars and conditions. The organizers strongly discourage speeding or other infractions (just like in the Gumball) but nobody can stop you (other than police.)

For example, if there are 10 miles of twisty roads marked for 45mph in front of you, and the rally instruction says "You have 22 minutes and 30 seconds to get to the next check point 10.0 miles ahead" you can either obey the speed limit and still get there in plenty of time, or haul ass in the twisties and get to the checkpoint way early... it's up to each team, but speeding does not give any better chance of winning and a fast car does NOT necessarily mean a better chance to win the R5.

As for navigator duties, here's all you need:

1) accurate speedometer & odometer
    2) clipboard
    3) pen or pencil
    4) calculator
    5) stopwatch
    6) good eyesight

The math is easy if you understand the concepts (60mph = 88 feet per second or 1/4 of a mile in 15 seconds, etc.) A lot of the route will be easy ("go 4.5 miles at the speed limit and turn west onto a 4-lane road") while some of it could be more challenging ("go 23760 feet in 360 seconds and turn west after the bent telephone pole"). Go to the site and check out some of the cars/bikes already registered!

REGISTER NOW! SLOTS ARE FILLING UP VERY FAST NOW!

Or call 804-931-2096 for more details
    Co-Founder of Crossroad Auto & Race Enthusiasts
    " Where Domestics & Imports
    Meet"

& proud member of ClubWRX.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

WOW! This looks like lots of fun. If someone wants to co-drive with me, I'd probably be up for it. My suspension would be finished and I'd have a nice fresh set of tires as well. Tarmac rallies rock, even if you aren't going all out.

chris
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

Question

May I request a sticky for this event? I will notify the Mod as soon as it fills up to unsticky and close it up...

Originally posted by S1L1C0N
    May I request a sticky for this event? I will notify the Mod as soon as it fills up to unsticky and close it up...
    You got it. Let me know when the event is full.
    -Jim

'02 Platinum Silver WRX sedan w/roof rack...bone stock. Ok, now that's a lie.

GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by fengshui
    WOW! This looks like lots of fun. If someone wants to co-drive with me, I'd probably be up for it. My suspension would be finished and I'd have a nice fresh set of tires as well. Tarmac rallies rock, even if you aren't going all out.

chris
    I'll navigate for you, Chris. It'll be nice to try a rally from the other seat for a change.

-Jim

Chris has wussed out. If anyone needs an experienced navigator for this rally, I am available. I have an awesome rally clipboard too.

-Jim

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX
    I have an awesome rally clipboard too.

-Jim
    I have seen this first hand! Where did you get that software? I need to show it to my boss. He'd be all over that!
    Chris
    1999 Impreza RS - 12.096 @ 114.63
    2002 WRX - 12.602 @ 111.08
    1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 11 second scrap pile - SOLD

Originally posted by IMPREZvWRX
    I have seen this first hand! Where did you get that software? I need to show it to my boss. He'd be all over that!
    I was refering to my average speed calculating rally clipboard, but since you brought it up:
    The best mapping software money can buy.

-Jim

I'll be attending the Subaru Shootout.

-Jim

Not too much interest here. Oh well...thread unstuck.
    Matt
    WRX-less, now RSX-y!!!

thanks Bask, yea we had 2 WRX's representing tho, what an AMAZING event, one WRX got pulled over i believe up in skyline... If you doubted this event, wait until I post up the photos and you hear some of the after-hype. All slots were filled and needless to say, it was unforgettable...
    Co-Founder of Crossroad Auto & Race Enthusiasts
    " Where Domestics & Imports
    Meet"

& proud member of ClubWRX.com

Actually there were 5 WRXs. I finished ahead of the other 4 and 13th overall - what a blast!