WARNING: Stay away from Stohlman service dept
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WARNING: Stay away from Stohlman service dept within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; I took my car in for a oil leak and cold clutch judder two days ago and was told it ...

WARNING: Stay away from Stohlman service dept

I took my car in for a oil leak and cold clutch judder two days ago and was told it would be taken care of under warranty. BTW my clutch problem has been there since about 6K miles(no mods at the time) they just fianlly found a fix for it(ie. sevice bullitin 3-51-02). I got a call today letting me know that because of modifications the warranty would be void and the probelms would not be covered. This was from a buddy of mine who works there no less the service writer hasn't even called me yet.

My modifications at the time are uppipe, downpipe, scoobysport muffler, and a set of intercooler hoses, the rest are pretty much for looks(ie, springs, wheels and leather). If this isn't someone trying to make money I don't know what is. The mechanics don't make as much money if they do work under warranty as they would if they didn't cover it. SOA doesn't overpay like the consumer does.

So basically what it comes down to is they will do anything they can to get out of doing work under warranty. What exactly does an exhaust have to do with cold clutch shudder and an oil leak, maybe someone here can clarify for me.

I seem to remember the rs' having problems with oil leaks caused by a bad cam seal at about the same mileage as mine too. Anyway I just wanted to warn anyone before they thought of taking their car there. I guess I'm gonna have to find a new dealership for service next time.
    Thanks for letting me vent-James

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well I have a update since I just spoke to the Mechanic who was woking on it. It seems like SOA is the Pain in the A$$ here. they aren't fixing the clutch because it wouldn't shudder for them, figures. It does it every morning to me. I'm not really sure where the blame lies but I may have jumped the gun a bit. I guess it would help if the service advisor had called me with some info instead of letting me find out the round about way. I'll keep everyone posted on what happens.-James

What's cold clutch judder?
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

I hope you're kidding Here's a little info on it here, TSB for Clutch Shudder if you look around a bit you'll notice it's a pretty big problem with alot of Imprezas including the Gcs(98-01)

I am taking my car their today (monday) to get my clutch replaced for the clutch sudder problem. I didn't have any problems getting it in there. Just walked in, said I had the clutch shudder problem. The service manager went out got my vin, came back and said ok we will fix it next monday. Their was a subaru rep their too, I told him I was getting the clutch sudder fixed, and he said they are very aware of the problem and working to fix it. I guess this is as close to a recal as we will get. I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Just wondering what mods do you have on your car that they said they would void it?

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

I have no idea what the problem was, the service manager said it would be no problem that everything would be taken care of under warranty(sound familiar). That was when I dropped it off so i'm sure he saw the car and heard the exhaust when the porter took it around back. BTW I think you have about all the same mods as me except I have a DP and Uppipe the rest is pretty much the same(different brands). I think the guy from SOA looked at it and said I had too many mods(WTF?) at least that's what I hear through the grapevine. Maybe you'll get lucky and the A-hole from SOA won't be there the day yours is in and you will get it fixed no problem. Good Luck Let us know how it goes.
    Last edited by jjunior887; 04-07-2003 at 12:49 PM.

Well I dropped it off today, but they didn't have a flywheel in stock so I won't get my car back till tomorrow. Oh well not a big deal. I'll just beat on this brand new cavalier, it actually surprised me with its power. Anyways, I didn't see a subaru rep there today so hopefully I am good. And with just a uppipe and downpipe they should still have fixed yours, subaru is starting to suck. I did hear of someone getting denied getting the tranny fixed because they broke some teath on their gears, but they had atleast an uppipe and downpipe and probably some other stuff. I can see how they wouldn't fix the gears but the clutch is a common problem that should be fixed regardless.

My Mods

I got it back this morning, it was finished last night. So I guess it took a bit longer then I would have liked, 3 days. They had to wait on a flywheel, but I think they should have ordered that ahead of time. Anyways the new clutch is great, and they installed my STI tranny mount as well, so it feels even better. I wish they had time to install my engine mounts but its no big deal. I can shift into first about 5-7 mph faster then I used to so its a big improvement. I have to give the techs their credit they do a great job.

My Mods

I assume you got it fixed under warranty? If so, awesome. Good to hear that they aren't scamming everyone out there. I'm still waiting a few thousand miles (more like 10k or so) before I try to get it fixed. I figure I might as well wait it out as long as I can to prolong the time I get to keep the second clutch.

Did it cost you anything? $100 or something, or did they fix it absolutely free?
    -Jim

'02 Platinum Silver WRX sedan w/roof rack...bone stock. Ok, now that's a lie.

GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!!

Everything was done under warranty, didn't have to pay a penny. I thought about waiting as well, since it was summer time and I thought I wouldn't have the clutch shudder much anymore. but I still had it, and I it started making some really bad squeaking/scratching noises when letting out the clutch, I could hold it half way out and keep the horible sound for a couple seconds. I figured might as well get it done now since I haven't started my new job yet.

My Mods

That's understandable. Mine isn't that bad (except on wet/rainy days) so I'll hold off as long as I can.

The only thing I'm wondering is if my extended warranty will cover it later in life if it turns out to shudder again after I get a new one and it passes 36k miles. Hopefully it will.

Glad to hear you're happy with your replacement though.

Now if they'd only address the window squeak problem.
    -Jim

'02 Platinum Silver WRX sedan w/roof rack...bone stock. Ok, now that's a lie.

GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!!

Haha, the windows squeak. I don't think there is any fix for that. After my accident it went away but its recently come back. Its like the car wants to have that squeak and their is no way of getting rid of it forever.

My Mods

Re: WARNING: Stay away from Stohlman service dept

Originally posted by jjunior887
    I seem to remember the rs' having problems with oil leaks caused by a bad cam seal at about the same mileage as mine too.
    I have the cam seal leak right now, it will be fixed under warranty.

Bad dealers suck, if you are still having trouble go to a different one.

Seriously if they are *****ing about your aftermarket mods causing the leak and shudder......talk to SEMA....

Unless the actually aftermarket part is causing the failure or problem they have to fix it no questions asked...especially since theres a Service Bulletin out for it to have it fixed.

check out sema.org. they are usually pretty good about this stuff..

Kevin
    2003 Subaru WRX- Midnight Black Pearl
    2007 Subaru Legacy Limited- Brilliant Silver Metallic

So wait, are you now saying that you're OK with Stohlman? That's where I bought my rex and where I plan on getting most of the service.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.