Moving to Norfolk/VA Beach Area, some quick questions

This is a discussion on Moving to Norfolk/VA Beach Area, some quick questions within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Well I think I am going to move to this area, kinda on a whim... I am 21 and I ...

Moving to Norfolk/VA Beach Area, some quick questions

Well I think I am going to move to this area, kinda on a whim... I am 21 and I am just saying "ah what the hell" and want some adventure... Hows this area for night life and fun factor? Also am I going to have a prob finding a decet place to live for less than 500 a month(just for 1 person)? I have been looking and it seems like I should be able too. Mainly I am worried about the way of life and how much fun I can have. Hopefully it wont be too hard to find some new friends! Well any opinions/facts about the area would be cool thanks.

PS. Going to be coming in Mid-March and just for backround info I am from the Daytona Beach area so I am used to the beach area life. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I know a few people that lived down there (P-town area) in the VA Beach area. They loved it, and the cost of living last time I checked was about 40% less than living in the DC area which I would imagine is comperable to Rochester...maybe a little cheaper?

So I don't think (if you have roommates) that $500 for rent would be tough to find. Personally I pay <$600 with utilities where I live just outside of the DC/MD line.

Good luck, if you need more info (if you don't find much else from other people) I can try to contact one of my friends from that area and find out some info for you.
    -Jim

'02 Platinum Silver WRX sedan w/roof rack...bone stock. Ok, now that's a lie.

GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!!

hey i lived in that area for 6 yrs. ill try and give pros and cons
    pros:
    -va bch is one of the safest cities in the country for its size
    -moderately priced
    -big military town
    -seasonal weather
    -lots of tourist during the summer
    -lots cool bars/clubs/restaurants
    -7-11 on every corner
    -lots of hot chics

cons:
    -big military town
    -yearly inspection
    -lots of taxes (personal, property)
    -traffic
    -very humid summer
    -not mod friendly when it comes to cars (strict car inspections)
    -can be expensive
    -not a great job market unless u can work for the gov't

if u have any more questions, dont hestitate to ask.
    sometimes i wish i was back there just for the cool bars and great seafood.
    2002 WRX silver
    -281HP/258TQ @ 16 psi

Thanks for the info guys!! Thats is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I wont be changing my residency to VA so I wont have to worry about the inspections and the humid summer thing I can handle since I am from Florida. But I was mainly looking for a fun town that I could be 21 in(goodbars, hot chicks) . I will be alone for a few months while my friends finish up school so hopefully it wont be too alone . I dont think the military town will bother me, I am an USAF cadet so hopefully the Navy area wont kill me too much. But thanks for the info, anyone else keep it coming if ya got anything. Thanks.

well since ur keeping ur NY plates, u wont have to worry about the taxes or inspections then.
    Va bch is totally different and has a diff mindset than daytona bch tho.
    u cant drive on the beach in va bch and its one strip with hotels on one side and the bars/restaurants on the other. its not very long and its packed bumper to bumper. cops are out in full force on bikes and horses. there is a cruising law and parking sucks and expensive. if u can find a place to rent near the ocean front that would be ur best bet. traffic sucks on the w/e's and during the week in the summer time.
    2002 WRX silver
    -281HP/258TQ @ 16 psi

Quote Originally Posted by stickman View Post
    hey i lived in that area for 6 yrs. ill try and give pros and cons
    pros:
    -va bch is one of the safest cities in the country for its size
    -moderately priced
    -big military town
    -seasonal weather
    -lots of tourist during the summer
    -lots cool bars/clubs/restaurants
    -7-11 on every corner
    -lots of hot chics

cons:
    -big military town
    -yearly inspection
    -lots of taxes (personal, property)
    -traffic
    -very humid summer
    -not mod friendly when it comes to cars (strict car inspections)
    -can be expensive
    -not a great job market unless u can work for the gov't

if u have any more questions, dont hestitate to ask.
    sometimes i wish i was back there just for the cool bars and great seafood.
    correction, lots of decent chicks... lol

Seeing as how I came from Jax to VA against my will. (Sailor)I have to say stay in FL. DB is too small you need to move to Jax that or Tampa I heard is awesome. The cost of living is high up here and there really isn't alot of bars and resraunts. Also Va beach you have to wear a shirt when you get on the boardwalk and you can't cuss in public it's against the law. PETA and the 700 club are based out of VA Beach that kills alot of the night life. (the 700 club does that not Peta unless your idea of a good night is Animal abuse.) I would recommend going else where. The cops are completely oppisite from DB cops where you can slide on stuff there. Here it is no joke. Plus, Interstates max out at 55 MPH around here which coming from the 70 MPH will make you feel like your crawling.
    If your looking to party why not just shoot over to Orlando or Jax Beach plenty of night life in bith cities?