Good Subaru Mechanics in DC, MD, VA area?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Good Subaru Mechanics in DC, MD, VA area? within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Can anyone recommend a good Subaru mechanic in the DC, MD, VA area? I need someone that can look at ...

Good Subaru Mechanics in DC, MD, VA area?

Can anyone recommend a good Subaru mechanic in the DC, MD, VA area? I need someone that can look at a used WRX that I'm considering buying.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I know someone who works for Subaru (he's a subaru certified tech). I just can't remember what dealership he works for, its up in MD (Germantown I want to say). I'll get back to you about it.
    -Jim

'02 Platinum Silver WRX sedan w/roof rack...bone stock. Ok, now that's a lie.

GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!!

Ok, here's the info. Jake works for Jake Fitzgerald Subaru Lake Forest. It's off of 355 and Montgomery Village Ave. in Gaithersburg.

He's also a really nice guy. I'm sure he'll be able to help you out.
    -Jim

GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. FYI, I tried negotiating the price of the used WRX wagon down from $20K to about $17,500 but the dealer wouldn't go for it. I may wait til the 04s come out.

How many miles were on it...any mods? $20k seems a bit steep unless it has something like 5k miles on it and fully loaded.

EDIT: Take a look at this: Edmunds used car estimate

Or try www.kbb.com and enter the info (like options and mileage) to see what they think is a 'fair' amount. Looks like kbb says it should sell for higher than edmunds, so maybe a fair middle ground between the two is what is realistic?
    Last edited by beastcivic; 01-24-2003 at 07:59 AM.
    -Jim

GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!!

The WRX wagon has only about 6,000 miles on it and as far as I can tell the only options or mods are a titanium shift knob, splash guards, 6-CD changer, and the boost gauge on the steering column. It's a blue 5 speed manual. I know its still got alot of its original 3 yr/36K mile warranty on it but I'd rather not deal with a car that's been driven aggressively, even just for 6K miles. Any opinion?

I thought the WRX couldn't fit splash guards (at least not the Subaru ones) because it had bulging side skirts? Maybe the wagon can?

And the 6-disk changer is stock. So it has a $150 shift knob and a $200 boost gauge and maybe $80 splash guards? Well... like I noticed on www.kbb.com, they're rather high. They seem to think my car is still worth over $22k yet I only paid $23,800 for it and it has 17k miles on it. I think Edmunds is more fair. They think my car is only worth just under $19k which makes more sense to me. I wouldn't give up on them. Keep hounding them, they may come down in price. It's only $2,500 on a used car, they may get desperate.

Even Edmunds (with the low mileage) on the wagon you're looking at, says it's worth just over $18k. Yet Kbb is on crack, they think that car's worth $23k (that's what it was worth with 0 miles on it off the dealer lot!!! )
    -Jim

GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!!

Just spoke to Jake and he said he's available next weekend to help me check out the WRX. But, when I asked about doing a compression test he said it would be really hard to do on the WRX and would be expensive. It seems like too much risk and hassle to buy a used WRX, even one with just 6K miles.

Yep, in order to pull the plugs you have to remove a couple things from the engine bay (washer fluid reservoir for one) in order to do a compression test. I doubt it would have a noticable amount of abuse (at least by compression testing) in only 6k miles. And it's a wagon... so it wouldn't have been bought buy a 'punk kid' most likely. Do they have the service records on it (the oil changes, etc?) But if you can't get it at the price you want anyway there's no point in paying to have it checked out. Or hassle them about how you're concerned about abuse and have them run the compression test for you at their cost. Maybe that'll work?
    -Jim

GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.