n00b question

This is a discussion on n00b question within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Ok, so I may look like an ass asking this... So if we ever meet up you can totally make ...

n00b question

Ok, so I may look like an ass asking this... So if we ever meet up you can totally make fun of me...

Anyway, I'm having real difficulties in 'getting it right' when shifting from 1st to 2nd... I've been driving stick for 15-yrs and never encountered a gearing system quite like this...

Seems as though 1st jumps in RPM so fast, that you have to quickly shift to 2nd... I'm just not hitting it right.

Any suggestions?

*ducks behind desk*

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    Get some full synthetic tranny fluid. I run a mixture of three diferent kinds known as Uncle Scotties tranny fluid. There is much suport behind the use of this fluid as it greatly improves sincroid interaction. Search for some of that stuff. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533787 This link is the holly bible for everything impreza and at some point links to what I am speeking of.

Just curious what rpm's do you usually shift at?

Quote Originally Posted by Not-EWRX View Post
    Get some full synthetic tranny fluid. I run a mixture of three diferent kinds known as Uncle Scotties tranny fluid. There is much suport behind the use of this fluid as it greatly improves sincroid interaction. Search for some of that stuff. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533787 This link is the holly bible for everything impreza and at some point links to what I am speeking of.

Wow... Overload of info... Good stuff, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BigB007 View Post
    Just curious what rpm's do you usually shift at?
    For 'normal' driving... I usually like to shift around 3k... 1st gear, however, is a bit more... just because it seems so.. uh... short?

Quote Originally Posted by search66 View Post
    Ok, so I may look like an ass asking this... So if we ever meet up you can totally make fun of me...

Anyway, I'm having real difficulties in 'getting it right' when shifting from 1st to 2nd... I've been driving stick for 15-yrs and never encountered a gearing system quite like this...

Seems as though 1st jumps in RPM so fast, that you have to quickly shift to 2nd... I'm just not hitting it right.

Any suggestions?

*ducks behind desk*
    mine is like that too.. it's not you.. its just the way the gears are

Yeah first gear does go quickly. Wait till you do AP if you haven't already, it'll be much smoother and quicker!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister1rg View Post
    If you pushing out less then 20 and u have stock bov or bpv or whatever.....but your pushing more then the stock psi. say 18psi, and say you have an intake or the stock stuff deleted, does that sound chage at all or is it not affeected

2003 MBP 5MT (R.I.P)
    2000 Xterra SE
    2007 Civic EX Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by twoturbos View Post
    Yeah first gear does go quickly. Wait till you do AP if you haven't already, it'll be much smoother and quicker!
    +1 to that!

I had the AP a little longer than 2 weeks after i got the car!

AP FTW

Quote Originally Posted by 96accord View Post
    +1 to that!

I had the AP a little longer than 2 weeks after i got the car!

AP FTW
    I'm getting one next Monday. I'm stoked!
    Bugeye Mafia #130

'03 SRP WRX sedan. Engine mods - SPT intake, Perrin sport tone catback, stage 1 tune. Suspension mods - lots, excluding only the springs, struts, and tophats. Plans - dont screw this one up.

I'll do some more research on the AP... Have you found a place that sells them cheaper than other places?

I'll do some more research on the AP... Have you found a place that sells them cheaper than other places?
    If you want one cheaper, I'd say either try to find one used (even so, the price may not drop much at all), or find someone selling a V1.
    Bugeye Mafia #130

'03 SRP WRX sedan. Engine mods - SPT intake, Perrin sport tone catback, stage 1 tune. Suspension mods - lots, excluding only the springs, struts, and tophats. Plans - dont screw this one up.

Any suggestions?

*ducks behind desk*
    you can take other people's advice and go with the fluid change or the ap, or you can go the safe route and just learn how to drive your new engine/transmission. as with any manual tranny, rev matching is key. your throttle control should greatly improve as you get used to the awd drivetrain, turbo motor, and sloppy gearbox.

the ap is very nice for smoothing out the powerband, but if you are still not shifting this tranny right, you are going to cause increased wear (no matter how slight). you have to be careful when selecting your syntetic gear oil. many are purpose specific. if you do not fully understand the different types and what they do, don't change the fluid. if you are just having trouble with the sloppy stick, get the kb short shifter and all the shifter related bushings. from experience, this GREATLY improves shift feel, as well as the stick motion. throws are reasonably shorter and you can unmistakenly know when you are in gear. as stated above, no mod is an excuse to not learn how to do it right in the first place.

i may have misinterpreted your question, tho, so you feel free to correct me if i am talking of the wrong kind of shifting troubles
    Last edited by rex.effect; 06-23-2007 at 09:34 AM.
    -Taz
    Blobeye Syndicate #77

"Understeer is when you´re scared...
    Oversteer is when your passengers are scared"

Banned

Any suggestions?

*ducks behind desk*
    i had probs 2 first learning my subie..used 2 have an rx7 nd never had this "touchy" of a clutch..but 1 tip i found out..get stuck in traffic..i got stuck in the bronx for 2 hrs and learned evrything about my clutch!! (this is about 2 weeks after i bought it)...also i just put in an spt intake 2 days ago and honestly it is easier 2 drive and doesn't jerk as much (idk maybe i'm just crazy)...btw ive had the car 4 9 weeks 2day wit 5003 miles

i found that but holding a rpm for a few yards before shifting out of first makes it more subtle... its the sudden jump from a higher rpm to the next gear or a slightly heavy foot makes it jerk. I'm coming from a 6spd RSX-S which was just an awesome tranny.. so I feel your pain. Just have to take your time in 1st gear.

(///_-)

Quote Originally Posted by rex.effect View Post
    you can take other people's advice and go with the fluid change or the ap, or you can go the safe route and just learn how to drive your new engine/transmission. as with any manual tranny, rev matching is key. your throttle control should greatly improve as you get used to the awd drivetrain, turbo motor, and sloppy gearbox.

the ap is very nice for smoothing out the powerband, but if you are still not shifting this tranny right, you are going to cause increased wear (no matter how slight). you have to be careful when selecting your syntetic gear oil. many are purpose specific. if you do not fully understand the different types and what they do, don't change the fluid. if you are just having trouble with the sloppy stick, get the kb short shifter and all the shifter related bushings. from experience, this GREATLY improves shift feel, as well as the stick motion. throws are reasonably shorter and you can unmistakenly know when you are in gear. as stated above, no mod is an excuse to not learn how to do it right in the first place.

i may have misinterpreted your question, tho, so you feel free to correct me if i am talking of the wrong kind of shifting troubles

+1 Learn to revmatch. I can shift smooth as glass, or hard as a week old turd. It's about patience. Or you could just slip the clutch a bit - that should cover it up. You might also consider a lightened flywheel and crank pulley as it will reduce the amount of time it takes for the engine to move through the rev range, this can reduce the wait between shifts required for revmatching.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals