Points Removal?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Points Removal? within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; So I got nailed on highway 32 a few hours ago, apparently doing 84 in a 55 (wasn't going that ...

Points Removal?

So I got nailed on highway 32 a few hours ago, apparently doing 84 in a 55 (wasn't going that fast, but whatever). Is there any way to get points removed from your record so that the insurance won't go up? I know that my brother got one removed, but he lives in california so i don't know the rules here. If anyone knows anything I would really appreciate some info asap...
    bugeye mafia #116
    military militia #229
    super 16 powered...
    301 awhp
    261 awtq
    -a victim of the world becoming too soft.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by synergyknight View Post
    So I got nailed on highway 32 a few hours ago, apparently doing 84 in a 55 (wasn't going that fast, but whatever). Is there any way to get points removed from your record so that the insurance won't go up? I know that my brother got one removed, but he lives in california so i don't know the rules here. If anyone knows anything I would really appreciate some info asap...
    look into a point reduction class if ur state offers one
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

that's the thing...i don't know if maryland offers one
    bugeye mafia #116
    military militia #229
    super 16 powered...
    301 awhp
    261 awtq

that's the thing...i don't know if maryland offers one
    check your states DMV website
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

oh, and i'm a resident of california, have a CA driver's license, and that's where the car is registered for...i'm just here for school. i don't know if that makes any difference...
    bugeye mafia #116
    military militia #229
    super 16 powered...
    301 awhp
    261 awtq

oh, and i'm a resident of california, have a CA driver's license, and that's where the car is registered for...i'm just here for school. i don't know if that makes any difference...
    yeah I don't know. I know they have points reduction class in CA but I'm not sure if that matters if you are currently living in maryland and were given the ticket in maryland.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I'm almost positive your points wont go up if you got a ticket in MD and your license, car and insurance are all registerd in CA.

I got a ticket when i was in school in CA going 26 over and it didn't even show up on my record in UT.

Unless things have changed, your insurance won't even know about it.
    Stage II and loving it!

Research the CA DMV website, but I know that for me...

I am from New York. My car is registered in NY, my plates are NY, my license is NY. However, I live in Massachusetts. I got a ticket in my old RSX about 4 years ago. 85/65... $150. I paid Mass. New York does NOT accept points from other states (i think New Jersey is a partner state w/ NY and they share info).
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

From a website that answers questions for consumers:

"Maryland and California are both members of the Drivers License Compact which requires members to report traffic violations back to the state in which the motorist is licensed to drive. This means that the California courts or Department of Motor Vehicles will inform the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration of the speeding citation you received.

Some source information says that MD does not assess points for out of state traffic violations but the Maryland driver's manual currently states that once the MVA receives ticket information from another state they treat it as if the violation occurred in state. If the MD MVA does treat the CA speeding ticket as an in state offense than it would go on your driving record and could be assigned points.

To find out for certain if your Maryland License or driving record will be assessed points for your out of state speeding citation, contact the Maryland MVA. If not by their website then call their customer helpline at 1-800-950-1682."

i realize that your scenario goes the other direction with a CA licesnse and ticket in MD, but the point is that with both states conforming to the DLC, calling your home dmv is the way to find out this answer. good luck
    -Taz
    Blobeye Syndicate #77

"Understeer is when you´re scared...
    Oversteer is when your passengers are scared"

I believe you can fight it in court to get the points dropped. I also believe you can take classes in some states to remove points. Also, after a certain amount of time, years, the points drop.

Like it has been said before, CA will assign points based on the offense in MD. So your best bet is to go to court and try to get the ticket reduced. That way CA will give you points based on a lower fine/offense.

And you can take classes, but I don't know how that would work if you're living in MD, I would imagine you'd have to take a CA class to effect your CA license.

If you have a clean record other than this ticket you could see if you can take an MD class and have the ticket negated by completing the course. However that will be left up to the judge to decide if you can do that or not.

And insurance typically only checks your record when you initially set up insurance and then every 3 years after that. So your insurance probably won't go up immediately. But it might go up in the future if/when they check your record. But I've had tickets and not had my insurance change at all over a 3-4 year period after the tickets. So depending on your company and how many tickets you already have, it may not change at all, ever, due to this one ticket.
    -Jim

'02 Platinum Silver WRX sedan w/roof rack...bone stock. Ok, now that's a lie.

GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!!

your best bet is def going to be going to court. your violation is the highest "normal" speeding ticket you can get (broken by 1-9mph, 10-19mph, and 20-29mph). at 30mph over, they move you up to a reckless driving charge. even with a completely guilty plea on your ticket, you will almost always get the ticket reduced by at least one level, reducing points and the total fine.
    Last edited by rex.effect; 01-12-2007 at 07:09 AM.
    -Taz
    Blobeye Syndicate #77

"Understeer is when you´re scared...
    Oversteer is when your passengers are scared"

hey thanks a lot to all the replies, the information was rather helpful. i've decided i'm gonna go to court, if anything to try and find out the details on if i can get the points removed or not. thankfully i've learned my lesson and getting from point A to point B in the quickest manner is no longer a priority
    bugeye mafia #116
    military militia #229
    super 16 powered...
    301 awhp
    261 awtq

I have a feeling this isn't his first ticket ! If he didn't have any points against him, he probably wouldn't be so worried about this ticket. Good Luck !

actually it was the first one, but hey, thanks for the guess, better luck next time!
    bugeye mafia #116
    military militia #229
    super 16 powered...
    301 awhp
    261 awtq

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast