Snow in NoVA?

This is a discussion on Snow in NoVA? within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Whats the winters like in Northern Virginia? My RE92's are getting worn down and Im deciding if I should get ...

Snow in NoVA?

Whats the winters like in Northern Virginia? My RE92's are getting worn down and Im deciding if I should get 205/55/16s for my stockers or get wider ones for more performance (225/50/16). OR maybe I should get a set of V7 Gold rims just for the warm season?
    Canadian Tech Support:
    "ok, type su eh"
    Customer:
    $sua
    bash: sua: command not found
    ---------------------------------------------
    "Dont worry ma'am, we're college students, we know what we're doing"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Every WRX should have dedicated summer sneaks, therefore you need some winter shoes. You need to dress for the seasons.

This is what you need: 205/55/16 Dunlop Wintersport M3

/thread
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

i dont know much about the weather in va but i know re92s suck period and i dont think the come in any differnt sizes then just stock if you want winter performance get some blizzacks they rang from 98 to 150 a tire if you get a mid range tire 110 120 it should last you three winters. if you are nice to them maybe more then go get some good tires for summer lol

im not tryin to be mean it just bugs me when people think the re92s are god sends hopefully i helped man and good luck with the decisions
    Tomorrow isn't a guarantee.

Dont get me wrong, im in no way praising the RE92's, I was just waiting for them to wear down. I asked because i hear wider tires is bad in snow. So if NoVA gets a good amount of snow, then I'd stick with stock tire sizing. If not, i might as well get a nice set of winter tires (Continental ContiExtremeContact most probable). Then when spring comes along, I get myself a set of V7 STi gold wheels with ultra performance tires.

Just need to know if the snow in NoVA is enough to NOT go for 225/50/16 for winter tires and stick with stock 205/55/16s instead.
    Canadian Tech Support:
    "ok, type su eh"
    Customer:
    $sua
    bash: sua: command not found
    ---------------------------------------------
    "Dont worry ma'am, we're college students, we know what we're doing"

It rarely snows in Northern VA. When it does, it's less than a couple inches and goes away, for the most part, in a few hours. When there actually is a real snow fall, the city shuts down and you won't have to leave your home anyway.

Honestly, I survived for 2 years with only summer tires on my civic, and 4 years with RE-92s on my WRX up there. Never had an issue, even when we had 5-6 inches of snow.

I know there are better tires out there, but I really think the stock tires get a really bad rap. Anyway, to answer your question, you should have all season tires, or a dedicated winter tire. But, you don't need anything super aggressive for snow up there.

After re-reading your question. You can definitely get the wider tire. You won't really ever run into a problem with it up there. If you lived in the mountains, or much further north, I'd be more hesitant to suggest that. But the winters there are very mild as far as snow fall.
    Last edited by beastcivic; 11-08-2006 at 09:32 PM.
    -Jim

'02 Platinum Silver WRX sedan w/roof rack...bone stock. Ok, now that's a lie.

GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by beastcivic View Post
    I know there are better tires out there, but I really think the stock tires get a really bad rap. Anyway, to answer your question, you should have all season tires, or a dedicated winter tire. But, you don't need anything super aggressive for snow up there.
    Dunlop Wintersport M3 Handling and good snow performance.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I have lived here in NoVA for over 10 years now. In Jan 96 when I moved here we had a blizzard and by the end of February it was 70. Amount of snowfall here varies from year to year and you never know what you will get if any at all. Personally I would get high performance all season tires and be done. To me it is not worth the expense to have 2 sets of wheels and tires since your winter tires will be on for 2-3 months at most.
    06 Wrx Wagon, blue, 5spd
    05 350Z Roadster, super black, 6spd, Borla TD exhaust, K&N
    02 HD "Fat Boy" custom
    02 HD Ultra Classic - 95 hp & 109 ft-lbs
    02 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior - 92.4 hp & 114 ft-lbs
    01 Kawasaki Drifter 1500

Peachypumpkincheeks

As a resident of NoVA, I definitely recommend some nice all-season tires to replace the stockers.

I got the Kumho ECSTA ASX's from tirerack.com, and I have nothing but praises to sing about them! They're far superior to the RE-92's, and so far they've been great in the rain and humidity. I just got the regular stock size, I don't think the wider is neccessary. Are you planning on auto-xing?

And at only $62 a pop, it's definitely an upgrade worth doing.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....peed_rating=ZR

Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar