School me about Turbe TImer.

This is a discussion on School me about Turbe TImer. within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Hi all, I just got a '06WRX Wagon a week ago, and is my first turbo car. Every time after ...

School me about Turbe TImer.

Hi all,

I just got a '06WRX Wagon a week ago, and is my first turbo car. Every time after shut off the engine, there's always a burning smell that is pretty obvious. I can smell it when I got out of the car, but not from inside the cabin.

This got me thinking about turbo timer. Is it necessary or good to have one? Or, is it the same POS as a BOV?
    "The chain is only as strong as a weakest link"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned

Schooling...

1. Subies don't need turbo timers. You car comes with a water cooled turbo. Turbo timer = waste of $.

2. Delete your thread or people will begin flaming you for not searching and posting about a topic covered dozens of times.

3. Congrats on your 06 wagon, I <3 mine. That smell is normal and will go away shortly. Break her in nice and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by RexQME
    Hi all,

I just got a '06WRX Wagon a week ago, and is my first turbo car. Every time after shut off the engine, there's always a burning smell that is pretty obvious. I can smell it when I got out of the car, but not from inside the cabin.

This got me thinking about turbo timer. Is it necessary or good to have one? Or, is it the same POS as a BOV?
    let the car idle for about a minute - try not to drive it so hard when you are close to where you are going.

If the problem persists - post here and ask or take your chances at a stealership
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

When the cars new it will have some funny kind of burnt like smells. It will stop.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

What I've been doing is I kindda easy off when I'm getting close to the destination and let it idle for a minute also.

Good to know that this is one of the "new subby thing". Thanks for clearing this up, guys!!!

burnt smell is likely the cats breaking in but turbo timers are worthless but will not harm your can and can be handy i use mine as a volt meter and was helpful when my alternator started died others have boost gauges, a/f, even 0-60 times
    04 WRX Java Black
    Mustang Dyno 218 awhp 216 awtq
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    yea you know its modified
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

ahh that horrible smell from a new car, smells like fish but it goes away.
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mbs627
    1. Subies don't need turbo timers. You car comes with a water cooled turbo. Turbo timer = waste of $.

and you heard this from who , when you find out go give them the middle finger .

Quote Originally Posted by C89ZX7R
    and you heard this from who , when you find out go give them the middle finger .
    your kidding right?
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx
    your kidding right?
    no . just because its watercooled doesn't mean you shouldn't let it idle before shutting it off . but hey its your turbo lets take a hot turbo with no flow ( shut off ) you really think the water is still going to flow after its shut off lol . more like will start getting close to actuall turbo temps or boil while the oil is caking inside . but hey just a ex-conquest owner here which also has watercooled turbos on them , and rebuilt alot of them since no one would let them cool off . after you see the internals of a turbo that doesn't get a cool down cycle you will understand why .

following from http://www.turbomustangs.com/turbotech/main.htm

Turbo Cool Down

A turbocharger is cooled by engine oil, and in many cases, engine coolant as well. Turbo's get very hot when making boost, when you shut the engine down the oil and coolant stop flowing. If you shut the engine down when the turbo is hot, the oil can burn and build up in the unit (known as "coking") and eventually cause it to leak oil (this is the most common turbocharger problem). It is a good idea to let the engine idle for at least 2 minutes after any time you ran under boost. This will cool the turbo down and help prevent coking.

and of course at the bottom of that page says

This document was compiled by Spencer Brown. Half of it was written by Spencer Brown and the rest of it contains data from: Garrett, turbodriven.com, and Grapeaperacing.com Please visit those sites for more turbo information.

need anything else ? just ask , happy to supply info
    Last edited by C89ZX7R; 10-11-2006 at 02:12 AM.

D@mn, that's good!

Any place or reputable shop in NoVA you guys are using for your Subby needs?

From nastysock:

"WRX TURBO COOL DOWN PROCEDURE
    The heat contained in the turbo charger will begin to vaporize the coolant at the turbo charger after the engine is stopped. This hot vapor will then enter the coolant reservoir tank which is the highest point of the coolant system. At the same time the vapor exits the turbo charger, coolant supplied from the right bank cylinder head flows into the turbo. This action cools the turbo charger down. This process will continue until the vaporizing action in the turbo charger has stopped or cooled down."

~myke
    ::2004 JBP WRX::

Nah, dude. The WRX stock turbo is designed such that it doesn't need a cool-down procedure. When you say that it doesn't hurt to idle for a minute, yeah, you're right. But it's not required either.
    In short: HLGBGUAHUGLABLAGUHGALGHAGHL
    Mods::Pics

If I'm going on a sprinted or long drive, I will sit there and look at the radio for a minute or two. That's my 'turbo timer'. Save your money for performance modifications, man.
    LET'S GO COLTS!!!
    I have 5 infraction points. What do you have?