MD regulations?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on MD regulations? within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Hey guys, I just got my 02 out here from california, which is loaded down with smog regulations, aftermarket part ...

MD regulations?

Hey guys, I just got my 02 out here from california, which is loaded down with smog regulations, aftermarket part bans, etc. I really don't know what the deal is out here in Maryland, but I figure that it can't be as bad as California.

1) Are there smog regulations, and if so, how often are smog checks required?

2) Are aftermarket parts allowed at all? And how are cops with pulling people over?

Sorry to bug with newb questions, but I figure the easiest way is to ask here rather than at the DMV
    bugeye mafia #116
    military militia #229
    super 16 powered...
    301 awhp
    261 awtq
    -a victim of the world becoming too soft.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Maryland has no annual state inspections. Just an initial one when you buy a car or bring one in.

As far as emissions, I'm not sure which county you'll be in, but depending on which one it is, they may have emissions testing. If so, it's every two years and I believe MD has converted to the OBD-II system for checking for a passing or failing grade. They may check around to make sure you have all the parts (exhaust, cats, muffler, etc). But as long as you don't have an CEL's related to emissions and have all your readyness codes in the computer, you'll pass.

Aftermarket parts are kind of questionable. I've heard of people being pulled over for improper exhaust and things like that, but it really is hit or miss as far as getting pulled over. I know I lived and drove around up there for over 3 years with cars that had obvious aftermarket exhausts and never got pulled over for them. So I'm guessing as long as you're not being a jerk on the road and it isn't too loud/obnoxious they'll leave you alone. But if they want a reason to pull you over, the aftermarket exhaust or whatever you have may be reason for them to do so.
    -Jim

'02 Platinum Silver WRX sedan w/roof rack...bone stock. Ok, now that's a lie.

GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!!

I believe that since my residency is still in California, and I am keeping my California plates, that I am not required to get an initial test when I bring it into the state. I think. Does that sound right? Anyways, thanks a lot for the info, and I'm in Anne Arundel County, I live in Annapolis.
    bugeye mafia #116
    military militia #229
    super 16 powered...
    301 awhp
    261 awtq

I Support ClubWRX
    I think maryland gives you like 30-60 days to change over your plates if you are living here (unless you are here for school or something). Emissions wont have to be done in MD if it isnt registered here, but you will be required to maintain Cali's emission tests if it's registered in that state AFAIK.

Many people have passed with stg2 and no cats, to be safe I'd run a hi-flow cat for emissions. It's really hit or miss on the cops like said above.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

+1 what 302 said

MD is pretty lenient, BUT, they will target obnoxious automobiles. Loud exhausts are the most notorious for getting pulled over. Aftermarket exhausts are legal, but there is a noise ordinance clause, which is pretty debateable. Just don't act like an a55hat on the road, and you will be left alone.

As for emissions, it's usually a piece of cake. For car inspections, that can be tricky sometimes with aftermarket parts, but isn't generally an issue. Exhaust noise is probably the only worry.
    gary noonan | senior artist | animator
    Bethesda Game Studios

Yeah I'm running cobb stage 2 but with only one cat...i figure it won't pass a sneak and peak if they decide to do that, but you say it might pass emmissions? Oh yeah, and I'm here for school, so I shouldn't have to change the plates. I'm maintaing California registration so I guess we'll see how things turn out...once again, thanks a lot for the quick and informative response, this forum rocks.
    bugeye mafia #116
    military militia #229
    super 16 powered...
    301 awhp
    261 awtq

Make sure you switch to the 93 octane map, and enjoy. Also, what school are you out here for?? UMCP??
    2006 WRBlue WRX
    Cobb Tuned to Stage II, Helix Catted DP, Invidia 3" Catback
    Cobb: Short Shifter, Sport Springs, Shifter Bushings, Trans Mount, Front/Rear Sway Bars
    Redline Hood Dampeners
    20% Tint

oh yes, i will most definitely switch to the 93 octane map...how nice it will be to actually have gas as opposed to urine in my tank oh, and i'm at USNA...and how lovely it is...
    bugeye mafia #116
    military militia #229
    super 16 powered...
    301 awhp
    261 awtq

Registered User Ludicrous Speed's Avatar
    ^^^ pretty much what everyone else said.

Here's a link to the actual laws

Lots of reading and stuff, but good info to know in case you ever get pulled for anything. Welcome to the state, and honk if you ever see me (I'm always in Annapolis).
    You must unlearn what you have learned!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.