Anyone Know of a good ProTuner in VA w/AWD Dyno? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Anyone Know of a good ProTuner in VA w/AWD Dyno? within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; there is mach v in dulles.i got my car tuned there and let me say i regret every bit of ...

there is mach v in dulles.i got my car tuned there and let me say i regret every bit of it.highly recomend the trip to agile.heres mach v site they sell alot of good products but i wouldnt get tuned there. fastwrx.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 05wrx4U2nv View Post
    there is mach v in dulles.i got my car tuned there and let me say i regret every bit of it.highly recomend the trip to agile.heres mach v site they sell alot of good products but i wouldnt get tuned there. fastwrx.com
    everyone always says go to agile, but i HAVE heard of a horror story or two from there, too. i know our options are limited in terms of local quality tuners, but are they really up to all the hype? have you been tuned there? do you personally know anyone with a tune from agile? i am not trying to bash agile (or you) at all because they are good people from what i gathered from talking with hill and annie. i just wanted to clear up whether you have personal experience with them, or if you are going on word of mouth, etc.
    -Taz
    Blobeye Syndicate #77

"Understeer is when you´re scared...
    Oversteer is when your passengers are scared"

Quote Originally Posted by 05wrx4U2nv View Post
    Would you mind sharing why you regret getting tuned there? They're really close to me so I was thinking they could be ones to tune my AP.
    Canadian Tech Support:
    "ok, type su eh"
    Customer:
    $sua
    bash: sua: command not found
    ---------------------------------------------
    "Dont worry ma'am, we're college students, we know what we're doing"

info

whats up everyone; im sorry for stealing off your tread but this seems to be the closet AWD dyno.i was just wondering how far This tuner would be from Norfolk; as i am from NC, and currently live in SC. The drive would be fun and plus i could see my brother, party, do a road trip and get my car all tuned at once! Wow i love do as much with as lil as possibale!! thanks for the info!!

Quote Originally Posted by devarian View Post
    whats up everyone; im sorry for stealing off your tread but this seems to be the closet AWD dyno.i was just wondering how far This tuner would be from Norfolk; as i am from NC, and currently live in SC. The drive would be fun and plus i could see my brother, party, do a road trip and get my car all tuned at once! Wow i love do as much with as lil as possibale!! thanks for the info!!
    If you are referring to Mach V motorsports, which is located in Sterling VA...and you are in Norfolk VA, then it would be about 208 miles (according to google maps).
    Canadian Tech Support:
    "ok, type su eh"
    Customer:
    $sua
    bash: sua: command not found
    ---------------------------------------------
    "Dont worry ma'am, we're college students, we know what we're doing"

MachV will charge you an arm and a leg, Hows this for a fair first hand comparison between these two - 05 STi with a 55 turbo+UTEC = 340 WHP Tuned by Mach V. 05 STi Stock snail+alky+ AP = 369 WHP for 200 dollars less and still running strong Tuned by Agile.
    It`s up to you and not bashing anyone, just tossing up some comparos

Oh, TXS? Never in my life.

well thanks for the info. but is there on closer to Norfolk?

Quote Originally Posted by xjetx View Post
    MachV will charge you an arm and a leg, Hows this for a fair first hand comparison between these two - 05 STi with a 55 turbo+UTEC = 340 WHP Tuned by Mach V. 05 STi Stock snail+alky+ AP = 369 WHP for 200 dollars less and still running strong Tuned by Agile.
    It`s up to you and not bashing anyone, just tossing up some comparos
    That's not a terribly useful comparison. The single biggest variable is the dyno. Agile has a Dynapak at last check, which because it reads the hubs instead of the tires is ALWAYS going to read higher. There's all sorts of other variables of course, like the car itself, what safety margin the tune had, weather, area under the curve (as opposed to just peak hp) etc etc. Not saying Agile is bad but your comparison doesn't prove anything.

Here's the NASIOC list of Mid-Atlantic tuning shops:
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...0#post12095050

john

Quote Originally Posted by ButtDyno View Post
    That's not a terribly useful comparison. The single biggest variable is the dyno. Agile has a Dynapak at last check, which because it reads the hubs instead of the tires is ALWAYS going to read higher. There's all sorts of other variables of course, like the car itself, what safety margin the tune had, weather, area under the curve (as opposed to just peak hp) etc etc. Not saying Agile is bad but your comparison doesn't prove anything.

john
    John,
    I respectfully disagree. If you visit the DynaPack corporate homepage, Dynapack explains the advantages in measuring from the hubs:

"Dynapack™ attaches directly to the axle(s), thereby overcoming all the disadvantages of tyre distortion including noise, torque steer, loss of traction, tyre heat and design variations in the tyre. Precise engine results - no inertia to mask faults"
    http://www.dynapack.com/dynapack.html

More information can be found on Agile's dyno page: http://www.agileauto.com/dyno.php

I just get tired of seeing the myth perpetuated on the forums that Agile has a dyno that runs "high". Essentially it's misinformation that has been circled about the forums by people that have some sort of grudge with the shop.

The dyno at Agile has been certified as accurate by Dynapack. Not only that but you can put any given stock Subaru on the dyno and it will put down the power numbers expected of a stock car. Of course, I'm not saying that there will not be variations dyno to dyno, but all things considered you will achieve consistent numbers.

Besides, why would a shop ever want to gamble not just their credibility but also their legitimacy as a business toying with their dyno?

Joe

I think you have me confused with someone who has beef with Agile. I don't. I am just trying to express the idea that you can't compare two different cars on two different days on two different dynos (Mach V has a Dynojet). Any of those variables would be enough to make a comparison unscientific, but all three of them makes the comparison completely useless.

(edit: That stuff about the hubs and tires I'm having a hard time backing up. So you can ignore that. Someone told me that a while ago and it made sense to me.)

In addition to that there are various correction factors that can be used to change the numbers (TCF on the Dynapack, amount of SAE smoothing on a Dynojet, etc). We don't have the plots here so we don't know what corrections, if any, were applied to the two plots.

We also don't have a lot of other relevant information, i.e. area under the curve, AF ratios, and all the other stuff that makes a tune good or bad. Maybe the Mach V guy wanted a really conservative tune because they were going to track their car or something. Who knows.

Comparision between two cars that are both on a Dynapack (even on different days) is something else. That's where the Dynapack is apparently pretty strong. Technically speaking it's a great dyno.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeing StaRS View Post
    John,
    I respectfully disagree. If you visit the DynaPack corporate homepage, Dynapack explains the advantages in measuring from the hubs: *snip*
    I'm not claiming the Dynapack is inaccurate. Eliminating the wheels is a scientifically good idea. But the numbers produced from them are typically higher. One reference is Rocket Rally, Pat Richard's shop:
    http://www.rocketrally.com/managed/i...age&pageid=111
    23) How do I compare my dyno results to others with similar setups? For Subaru owners, there are enough internet resources to compare, but essentially, Dyno Dynamics and Dynapack are the only 'consistent' numbers, and Dynapack reads very high, Dyno Dynamics very low. We can help you seek out other similar results.
    24) How do I compare my pulls to Mustang Dyno, or a Dynojet, or a Dynapack? Every dyno is different. If you want dynojet or mustang-ish #s you have to multiply by 1.18 or so, 1.25+ for DynaPack. But remember, this is just ballpark, as it is not linear.
    More from Pat here:
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...5&postcount=64

John
    Last edited by ButtDyno; 12-02-2006 at 12:59 PM.

John,
    Okay cool. Like I said I wasn't trying to attack you personally. It's more the misinformation factor. I don't want the same facts to be perpetuated on and on. Figure I'd pipe up and say something.

carry on and no hard feelings

joe

Quote Originally Posted by ButtDyno View Post

john
    We`ve met before at fedEx so this wont be a rebutall of sort, I prefer Agile over any other tuner here in our area.

Nuf said.

Forgot about this!
    Quote Originally Posted by xjetx View Post
    We`ve met before at fedEx so this wont be a rebutall of sort, I prefer Agile over any other tuner here in our area.

Nuf said.
    Fair enough.. I have never been tuned by either them or Mach V

Quote Originally Posted by Seeing StaRS View Post
    John,
    Okay cool. Like I said I wasn't trying to attack you personally. It's more the misinformation factor. I don't want the same facts to be perpetuated on and on. Figure I'd pipe up and say something.

carry on and no hard feelings

joe
    All good. I found out I was wrong about the hub vs wheel thing

john

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.