Advice on an install
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Advice on an install within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; First, let me say that I have few tools and no place to do installs. (I live in an apartment ...

Advice on an install

First, let me say that I have few tools and no place to do installs. (I live in an apartment building) Also, I'm a complete noob when it comes to doing my own work.

I recently purchased a Kartboy SS, plus front and rear bushings. Precision Tuning says that install will cost $130. Additionally, I had been toying with the idea of buying some Whiteline steering bushings, but Precision says that will cost $120 to install.

I've done a lot of research, and I have a hard time putting up nearly $300 to get those installed.

Is there any other place that would charge less for an install, or would anyone be willing to help that has installed these parts before? I'm in Northern Jersey, btw.

Thanks for the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User uncle lewie wrx's Avatar
    PM me if you want some1 to install it for you for cheaper, their in Monmouth County and do excellent work (senior master suby tech).

I've never done the steering bushing install, but the SS install is VERY easy...the bushings are pretty simple too...but you have to crawl under your car and drop out the shift linkage...probably not something you want to do in your parking garage.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

I've done the bushings, they aren't bad it's just a matter of squeezing them between your steering hard lines. But like the SS you have to get under your car and the more room you have to maneuver, the better.

Know anyone with a garage and jack stands? That might only cost you a 6-pack or something.
    06 S40 T5 AWD
    Previous: 2004 WRX
    05 CBR600F4i

This is the tough part about being a relatively new transplant. I still don't know a lot of people around here. The install is really a little out of my league.

Oh well, maybe I'll just pay for Precision.

just post in the regional sections....I'm sure there's a local subie club with meets near you.

I just got help from the local SoCal guys installing a TGV-free intake manifold...now THAT's a scary job. just give it a few days and I'm sure a nice friendly local subie guy will offer to help you. they installs are REALLY not that bad. all you need is a socket wrench and a place to work. you're looking at 1.5 hours tops for both installs.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

yeah , def dont pay that to have the shifter and bushings put in. You can buy some tools for much much cheaper and do it yourself. Its a pretty darn easy install. you can do it in your complex or whatever.

The best way to learn about your car and begin to understand how it works is by installing parts by yourself. It may seem a daunting task at first, but if you take you time and start with simple things like the short-shifter, you'll gain confidence and experience quickly. Take the $300 you would pay a shop to do the install and spend it on tools instead. A good metric ratchet set and the basics is all you really need to do most jobs on the car.

Regarding an install location; when I was in college, I did everything - from a turbo timer to my VF22/Injectors/intercooler on the street. Wait for a nice warm day, get the car up on ramps and do it!

You can find great instructions for installing your parts here or on sites like www.scoobymods.com
    New England F4
    -----------------------------------------------------------

FOR SALE!!!

VF22/FMIC/UTEC/Pinks/ACT/STi RA's/Apex'i N1 Type-V's - Tuned at XXTuning, 270 WHP/ 270 TQ @ 18.5psi. 12.697@ 108.95

Whereabouts are you in NNJ?
    06 S40 T5 AWD
    Previous: 2004 WRX
    05 CBR600F4i

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.