Body Shop
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Body Shop within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Hello! So I'm looking for a trusted body shop that can fix some small scratches and scuffs on my rims ...

something else forever Germz to Japz's Avatar

Body Shop

Hello!

So I'm looking for a trusted body shop that can fix some small scratches and scuffs on my rims AND also paint them a deep metallic looking black. I have stock 2014 wrx sedan rims but want a more sporty and professional look for them. I figured the black rims would look good once I debadge the car and paint the "WRX" emblems red on all four sides. Plus if the body shop does a good job I might as well have them work on future cars or for friends to help them out. Who knows right?

If anyone can help me out don't hesitate to post and thank you so much ahead of time!

---

edit: by the way there are pictures of my car on my profile so let me know if a pure pitch black or a metallic black would look better for my ride... I always appreciate opinions...
    Last edited by Germz to Japz; 04-13-2015 at 08:29 PM. Reason: because I can do whatever I wanna do ;)
    Speak Your Mind & Let Me Know

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Google a local powdercoating shop. They will fix the rash on the wheel and do powdercoating on the wheel, which will last much longer than paint. Once you find a good shop stop by and talk to them and see what they offer for colors. The shop I go to offers many colors including metallics.

I Support ClubWRX
    +1 for powdercoating the wheels
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned by Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I appreciate the feedback but I read that powder-coating the wheels actually weakens the strength and durability due to the different temperatures. I came across the articles on Porsche and Viper websites though, so maybe our rims are different than theirs, but I can find the links later.

I do not want to risk any aspect of performance, safety, or reliability just for a cosmetic change to the wheels.

I Support ClubWRX
    I've never seen any adverse effects of powdercoating wheels. If what you are saying is true, then my guess is that the conditions in which the effects would show, would be on a track.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned by Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    I've never seen any adverse effects of powdercoating wheels. If what you are saying is true, then my guess is that the conditions in which the effects would show, would be on a track.
    yes that's exactly what the Porsche owner said... he said the cracks came after heavy track use...

but the question is though... what if you go to a track once a year or you have some spirited fun on roads once in a blue moon... wouldn't that cause a problem in the future or no?

I powdercoated the wheels on my rsx and they were flawless for two years of driving until I sold it. I never did trackdays but definitely enjoyed a bit of spirited driving.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Germz to Japz View Post
    I appreciate the feedback but I read that powder-coating the wheels actually weakens the strength and durability due to the different temperatures. I came across the articles on Porsche and Viper websites though, so maybe our rims are different than theirs, but I can find the links later.

I do not want to risk any aspect of performance, safety, or reliability just for a cosmetic change to the wheels.
    I've had my winter wheels (stock Sti wheels) powder coated for 3 years and they have been through three Maine winters. Also have had my bike wheels powder coated for over a year and those have seen track days. Both sets of wheels look brand new still and I have never had any issues with either.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Germz to Japz View Post
    yes that's exactly what the Porsche owner said... he said the cracks came after heavy track use...

but the question is though... what if you go to a track once a year or you have some spirited fun on roads once in a blue moon... wouldn't that cause a problem in the future or no?
    Honestly, I would venture to say no. I really don't think powdercoating does that even for a lot of spirited street driving and even autocross use. All around temperatures of the car, wheels and tires are significantly increased on a track as compared to anywhere else, including an autocross track or any sort of spirited driving you could do under normal circumstances.
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I Support ClubWRX
    By chance are Porsche wheels like bmw?
    By that I mean they have runflats, low profile, and soft wheels?
    BMW wheels crack all the time with that setup hitting big bumps too fast and potholes
    Stinkeye member 520

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you mean runflat tires? There is no such thing as runflat wheels. Low profile also refers to the tires as well. That's how much rubber is between the wheel and the ground.
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

well ok guys you convinced me and thank you again for all of the feedback and help!

hopefully I am able to find a legit place that does powder-coating in a reasonable amount of time and at a fair price!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    Do you mean runflat tires? There is no such thing as runflat wheels. Low profile also refers to the tires as well. That's how much rubber is between the wheel and the ground.
    Ya I was referring to the tires when I said that. I think it's too much tension on the wheels so any harsh hits crack them.
    Had to send bmw 5 series out to be welded
    Stinkeye member 520

So I have decided to have my stock wheels fixed from the small scratches and then powder-coated black. I'm having some serious trouble finding a legitimate shop in my area though. Some places I find either have no reviews or very few. I'm very concerned that if I get this work done somewhere unprofessional it will cause major problems in my future.

Does anybody know of a shop within a 50 miles radius of the zip-code 20170 that would be able to get this work done for me? Money is not an issue nor is wait time, but I'm sure a good shop should be able to get it all done within a 24 hour time period. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Thank you again all and I would greatly appreciate any help and feedback!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.