DC traffic and your Subaru

This is a discussion on DC traffic and your Subaru within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; I'm very new to the DC area, I live in PG county in MD and work in Bethesda. I previously ...

DC traffic and your Subaru

I'm very new to the DC area, I live in PG county in MD and work in Bethesda. I previously lived in NJ, in the middle of nowhere. It was 20 minutes to the nearest anything, and a 25mile (one way) commute on the highway took me 35mins on average.

Now, I commute ~10 miles and it takes me an hour on average! I ride a motorcycle when I can, and that definitely gets me from A to B sooner than a car.

Anyway, I'm just curious, how many of you commute in heavy traffic on a daily basis and drive a manual? I am not new to a manual trans and I am not new to traffic, but I have never been in traffic like this every day with a manual trans. Wondering if I'll get sick of it haha I just enjoy it way too much to not get the WRX with an MT!
    Aspiring WRX owner!
    '04 Explorer XLT 4x4 (Selling)
    '12 Kawasaki Ninja 650 (The DD)
    '11 Husqvarna TE250i

Searching for a WRX for sale!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hi Matticus91,
    I've gotten stuck in traffic with my WRX around the beltway and Rt70 myself, Obviously, it is more of a pain in the ars than a automatic, but I would not not buy the WRX because of it. The clutch is not that stiff to be of a concern.
    I see you have a 650r. I too have one. Mine is an '06 black. I did artwork in the lower gray fairings and installed an Arrow exhaust.
    Anyway, I don't think you'll regret the purchase of a WRX with the traffic you drive in.

Brandi

10 miles of heavy Orange County traffic in the morning.
    10 miles of heavy Orange County traffic going back.
    Plus x amount of miles if I get stuck in the lunch rush.

Don't still love my WRX.
    It depends on the person, if you love the car and love how it perform the traffic is never too bad =)

Yeah my previous DD was a manual and it was rare that I got sick of it. About the only time it bothered me was if I was tired and in traffic on a steep incline haha
    Aspiring WRX owner!
    '11 Husqvarna TE250i

Did my first morning beltway commute in my new WRX yesterday morning. I got to my office around 930 so I was right in the thick of it. I live in Tysons Corner and work in Bethesda so I take 495 north to 270 in MD. About 12-13 miles; takes about 15 minutes with no traffic and took about 35 min in traffic. I didn't really think it was that bad. And that was not only my first time doing the commute in my WRX but also my first time doing it with a manual transmission. Definitely easier in an automatic but nothing that will make me get sick of my Sub.

Nice I take the same route now. You may see me on my motorcycle one day haha. I get on 495 at exit 29 and get off at exit 36 to get to Bethesda.
    Aspiring WRX owner!
    '11 Husqvarna TE250i

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    I just avoid rush hour all together. But then again, I'm a student so I don't know how lenient your boss is compared to my classes. I just move my departure times forward or backwards by one hour and a half, usually works well. You hit the tail end of it or slide through at the beginning before it gets too bad.

Yeah, usually I'm at the office by 630AM and leave around 3PM so most days I miss rush hour traffic all together. There are definitely those days where I hit 270 at 315PM and theres already dead stopped traffic though.

I moved up to this area after college. After a few jobs I realized that one of my career goals would be to not have to use the beltway to get to work. You cannot buy happines, but you can negotiatie for it on good terms.

I'm from fredericksburg and go to D.C. maybe once a year. Took the Subaru up there in august and remembered why I refuse to go... I don't know how you do it.
    2011 Wrx Limited Sedan Silver. Nameless muffler delete, Kartboy Short throw w/ cobb knob, Rally Armor mud flaps, 30% tint... Goodbye warranty Cobb AP v3 and Sf intake. Stink-eye mob #1993

Ha, I live IN the city. Commuting out 66 to the toll road every day. Fortunately, I have a reverse commute to an extent so I get to work super early, and then leave early to avoid almost all traffic.

Roads to avoid at all costs;
    95 S starting at Springfield, at any time of the day...figure out another way.
    66 W of Tysons Corner, never will I ever get on this road again at any time of the day.
    270 N, beginning on 495 in Tysons during rush hour...what a mess.

Yeah I may also start commuting super early.
    Aspiring WRX owner!
    '11 Husqvarna TE250i