Beltronics STi Radar Detector?

This is a discussion on Beltronics STi Radar Detector? within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; This detector is supposed to be "undetectable" by the police. Is it? Since I live in Virginia, I'm not supposed ...

Question Beltronics STi Radar Detector?

This detector is supposed to be "undetectable" by the police. Is it? Since I live in Virginia, I'm not supposed to have one anyway. If I got caught, what fine/points would be worse, using a radar detector or speeding? Any of you guys have one? This is a hypothetical question btw

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If it's illegal, don't get one.

You'll lose your detector (the Bel isn't cheap) and receive a citation. Not worth it...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Hypothetically if you are caught speeding,you will get a ticket for speeding,you will get a ticket for the radar detector and will have to surrender it.You can also refer to local laws which state

46.2-1079. Radar detectors

"A. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle on the highways of the Commonwealth when such vehicle is equipped with any device or mechanism, passive or active, to detect or purposefully interfere with or diminish the measurement capabilities of any radar, laser, or other device or mechanism employed by law-enforcement personnel to measure the speed of motor vehicles on the highways of the Commonwealth for law-enforcement purposes. It shall be unlawful to use any such device or mechanism on any such motor vehicle on the highways. It shall be unlawful to sell any such device or mechanism in the Commonwealth. However, provisions of this section shall not apply to any receiver of radio waves utilized for lawful purposes to receive any signal from a frequency lawfully licensed by any state or federal agency.

"This section shall not be construed to authorize the forfeiture to the Commonwealth of any such device or mechanism. Any such device or mechanism may be taken by the arresting officer if needed as evidence, and, when no longer needed, shall be returned to the person charged with a violation of this section, or at that person's request, and his expense, mailed to an address specified by him. Any unclaimed devices may be destroyed on court order after six months have elapsed from the final date for filing an appeal.

"Except as provided in subsection B of this section, the presence of any such prohibited device or mechanism in or on a motor vehicle on the highways of the Commonwealth shall constitute prima facie evidence of the violation of this section. The Commonwealth need not prove that the device or mechanism in question was in an operative condition or being operated."
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Yea thats what I was thinking, why not just look for brake lights in front of me to indicate where the cops are

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TopGearAddict
    Yea thats what I was thinking, why not just look for brake lights in front of me to indicate where the cops are
    Which you should be doing with a detector anyway...

Drive with the flow of traffic, follow the 1:1 rule (every car you pass, one passes you), be attentive to brake lights / potential cop hiding spots, etc. and you shouldn't have an issue.

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TopGearAddict
    Just out of curiosity, is it illegal to have a radar detector (off and stowed away) in the car in VA because I make a lot of road trips out of state.
    When I visited VA last summer, I was told to have my detector out of the passenger compartment (e.g., trunk). As long as the officer can't say you were operating it (having it somewhere you can't reach), they can't harass you about it.

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Which you should be doing with a detector anyway...

Drive with the flow of traffic, follow the 1:1 rule (every car you pass, one passes you), be attentive to brake lights / potential cop hiding spots, etc. and you shouldn't have an issue.
    Good tips

Most cheaply made detectors release an EMI signal in which some cops can pick up. (ie the detector detector). But as long as you pay good money like for the V1 which does not emit an EMI signal you should be good. But you are still running at your own risk in that state. The only people I have ever heard getting "popped" in VA had it half way up the window and the cop was behind him and could see the red LEDs or my friend who had the dang thing on while he was pulled over. So think about a good spot like up by the rear view under a dark tint strip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MULEZSTI
    Most cheaply made detectors release an EMI signal in which some cops can pick up. (ie the detector detector). But as long as you pay good money like for the V1 which does not emit an EMI signal you should be good. But you are still running at your own risk in that state. The only people I have ever heard getting "popped" in VA had it half way up the window and the cop was behind him and could see the red LEDs or my friend who had the dang thing on while he was pulled over. So think about a good spot like up by the rear view under a dark tint strip.
    I have mine located there.

If you're using it and you happen to get pulled over and don't have it concealed completely, you'll likely get nailed for it. The last thing you want to be doing when you get flashing lights behind you is be screwing around trying to hide something.

UNYSOC

Well I live in MD with GA tags and I frequent thru VA all the time and I'll be damned if I'm going to pull over and remove it from my windshield and put it in the trunk. Besides the law says that it can not be operating. Didn't say it couldn't be off and mounted. And how would they prove my car had the radar detector on? Then you would be getting in a pissing contest but I think that is a valid point in my eyes anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel sorry for VA residents sometimes...lol
    - 2011 Subaru STI Limited in WRB -

kinda late, buuuut i know i met a few guys a couple weeks ago in Richmond that use theirs on a daily basis.