Snow and stock summer tires, how's it?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Snow and stock summer tires, how's it? within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Not sure what experiences people have had w/ the summer tires in the snow, what inch level are they good ...

Not sure what experiences people have had w/ the summer tires in the snow, what inch level are they good till?? 3 or 4"??? What are peoples recommendations for the mid-atlantic weather and summer tires? I've never bought winter tires, just all season and I've always had 4 wheel drive type tires, any recommendations for the WRX? I ordered my WRX first week of January, so I'll probably get it end of Feb or early march and we sometimes get slammed then.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Noodles Aren't My Concern twistedphrame's Avatar
    I split my time btwn Atlantic and Warren County NJ
    I Support ClubWRX
    I'm from jersey and just got my WRX this fall, I've been told that you DO NOT want to drive in snow or ice in the stock (summer) tires. They all get pretty hard bellow 40-50 degrees. I bought a new set of wheels and snow tires and am storing my stock wheels until the spring. If you can't afford the extra set of wheels, let's be honest it's a lot to spend especially when you just bought a car on top of it, all seasons are a good compromise. So far with all the snow and ice we've gotten this year I'm pretty thankful for the snow tires, it's been handling like a dream, even in the snow.

The stock summer tires are useless in the snow.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I tried out my summer tires in the snow after the first snow storm here in NJ, from personal experience....DO NOT take your car out in ANY snow with the stock summer tires on. If you need any further convincing, just stare at the treads on your stock Dunlops long and hard. They will tell you they don't belong in snow lol!

I did get "performance winter" tires and another set of rims, and it has been well worth the purchase price. I will leave them on through the spring and let them take the brunt of the pothole abuse.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    The stock summer tires are dangerous in the snow.
    Fixed. Summer only tires in the snow are a recipe for a crash.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

if your gunna drive your car with stock summer tires in the winter..you might as well just drive your car into a tree as soon as possible to save you the suspense of slipping out on the snow..find a decent set of winter tires used for half the price if money is an issue..i had to make a compromise and get all seasons cuz money was also my issue..soo far the all seasons are great in the snow we had over 24 inches here a few weeks ago and i never lost control

one word. SCARY.

Last winter my wrx stayed at home when it snowed. I took it out once in a "wintery mix" and decided that for its and my own good I would not be traveling in the snow again.

This year I put a good set of all seasons on it (it doesn't snow enough in VA beach to get dedicated snows) and even driving up north for xmas and back through that mess of crap.. (fyi Jersey was the worst hit state I crossed through) .. the car did well.

snow on summers is asking for bad news. Swap em out with some tread or stay home if you can.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I tried to use my stock summer tires in the snow, and ended up fishtailing on 42nd street in Manhattan. They are worthless in the snow. I have since switched to some A/S tires, and they are definitely better.

KHP
    It's a very bad idea to even try as everyone already said above. Also as "2w0r0x9" said if you're keen on driving your car in snow and/or ice with the OEM summers then should save yourself and everyone the trouble and just crash the car into a nearby tree. Your chance of striking a curb or another vehicle is pretty imminent.

Another way I look at it is a ~$1000 set of proper wheels and tires is a lot better than paying insurance deductible and just plain dealing with insurance. Also winter tires adds to the fun in driving in snow or ice. They inspire confidence (don't get over confident though) and it's also entertaining to wave at all the stuck trucks on the side of the road when you're passing by with out issues .
    Last edited by KHP; 01-15-2011 at 08:07 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    ^^^All of the above

Summer tires+ snow/winter = FAIL

I tried,it might get you going but the experience of trying to stop the car will give you an insight into how to maneuver a car on black ice.

I have posted my experience with a set of perhaps the least expensive winter setup available My 2011 winter setup
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Well, does anyone know if it's good/bad to just use one set of wheels and switch b/n tires? Are tires made to be switched like this?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Kesmo
    Well, does anyone know if it's good/bad to just use one set of wheels and switch b/n tires? Are tires made to be switched like this?
    You can do it, but if you pay for mounting/balancing (this can be upwards of $100 each switch), it adds up quick.

If I were you: pick up a set of stockers used from the classified section and keep a second set of wheels/tires around (since the space is already being taken up by the tires). Within a few years, they'll have paid for themselves.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I was just faced with the same exact dilemma, and the consensus was it is worth getting a second set of rims for the snow tires. I am glad I now have two sets, you will be spending 200+ per year switching back and forth, plus additional wear on your rims and tires if using only one set of rims. Im guessing you can find a used set of rims or steelies for around 200, or even Tire Rack offers steelies for 55 a wheel.

The stock, summer tires are not rated at all to an 'inch level'.

No tires are.

Since they are summer tires, though, the performance will degrade as the temperature drops, ending up at pretty much nothing around 35-40F.

Winter tires rox in teh winter.
    Stink-Eye Mob #666

2009 WRX Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Kesmo View Post
    The highly technical answer is that you'll stretch the beads on the tires, which compromises them, and that is a bad thing. I used to do this on my old 911 C4 that I drove as a daily driver in Boston for 3.5 years and swapped the tires every season and never had an issue. Honestly, I don't think it's a bad thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by wojo View Post
    I was just faced with the same exact dilemma, and the consensus was it is worth getting a second set of rims for the snow tires. I am glad I now have two sets, you will be spending 200+ per year switching back and forth, plus additional wear on your rims and tires if using only one set of rims. Im guessing you can find a used set of rims or steelies for around 200, or even Tire Rack offers steelies for 55 a wheel.
    This is the cheapest solution. Alloys are about $100 apiece if you want something a little nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleMongoose View Post
    The stock, summer tires are not rated at all to an 'inch level'.

No tires are.

Since they are summer tires, though, the performance will degrade as the temperature drops, ending up at pretty much nothing around 35-40F.

Winter tires rox in teh winter.
    While the rubber compound and how it responds to temps is important, that matters more on dry pavement. The tread pattern matters far more in the snow.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast