HPDE Classes?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on HPDE Classes? within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Anyone do any of these in the area? VIR or Summit? How was your experience? What should a first timer ...

HPDE Classes?

Anyone do any of these in the area? VIR or Summit?

How was your experience? What should a first timer know?

Thanks
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #008
    Mods:
    Fuzzy Dice

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I haven't done one in a long while -- used to do them every few months in my green Camaro -- but the premise is the same.

Make sure your car is in good working order. This is just common sense, as at Summit Point, even a tired 'ol GM product can hit 130mph at the end of the front straight. VIR is even faster if you are doing the full course.

I'm fortunate in that my brother is a mechanic, and even has a lift at home, so he can put my car up in the air and do a thorough "mini-Maryland-inspection" on it. If you can have someone else look the car over, that would be better (and some HPDE orgs require you to have a "pre-event inspection" done and signed off on before you arrive).

If you're doing it yourself, check your tires and brakes -- including the brake lines, brake pads, rotors, etc. A tire failure or a brake failure at the track can be Extremely Bad(tm). Check all of your hoses for leaks, bubbles, etc., as this could not only ruin your day, but a lot of other people's if you spill coolant and/or oil on the track. Once at the track, make sure you empty everything out of the car -- floor mats included and if you're in the Subaru, empty out that little change holder that's by the hood release. Don't ask me how I know to do that.

When it comes to your instructor, listen to what they have to tell you. Don't assume you are Speed Racer incarnate and just do whatever you want, especially if it's your first time and even if you are an accomplished autocrosser/motocrosser/dragracer/streetracer/whatever. If you are having.... "issues" with your instructor (sometimes there are personality conflicts), just talk to the lead instructor and explain the situation. 99% of the time, any problems are taken care of, either through a conversation with the instructor, or by having a new instructor assigned.

When a student goes into an HPDE with the proper attitude of "I'm here to learn how to properly drive my car at high speeds in a controlled environment," I haven't see anyone walk away unhappy. When a student goes into an HPDE with the idea of hoonery and shena****ns on track, they typically aren't happy afterwards because their instructor is "mean and holding them back," and additionally, they might not be allowed back with that organization.

I hope that helps!
    Karen Kraus
    2005 SCCA FS Southeast Divisional Champion | 2007 SCCA DSL National Champion
    2008 SCCA ProSolo L1 Champion | 2009 SCCA ESPL National Champion
    2010 SCCA ESP Northeast Divisional Champion
    2006 WRX (ESP 34) | 1996 Camaro Z28 1LE (ESP 34) | 1997 Camaro Z28 (DD)

Thanks good tips there.

I know I have everything to learn
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #008
    Mods:
    Fuzzy Dice

I Support ClubWRX
    good friends of mine run a company called TrackDaze (http://www.trackdaze.com). Jeremy and Eric are great guys. Tell 'em I sent ya.
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

I like trackdayz site, a lot of good info there.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #008
    Mods:
    Fuzzy Dice

I've spent 4 days with ther Ferrari club at VIR. Instruction was great both events. The first event was the North Course (around the Oak Tree), and the second was a full course. I can't speak to the specific classes available at VIR (Chin motorsports, NASA, PCA, BMWCCA all rent time there), but I can say that VIR is an amazing course. You can camp out next to the track, cook, drink, whatever, then roll over to the paddock area, and do your thing. It's a great place, and I can't wait to go back. I have never been out to Summit, so I can't compare. Watch some youtube videos to get a feel for the courses. The full course at VIR is over 3miles, and there's LOTS of track out there.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.