Virginia House Bill 674 - Repeal of Ban on Radar Detectors

This is a discussion on Virginia House Bill 674 - Repeal of Ban on Radar Detectors within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; There is now a chance that Virginia will repeal its ban on radar detectors. House Bill 674 has been advanced ...

Virginia House Bill 674 - Repeal of Ban on Radar Detectors

There is now a chance that Virginia will repeal its ban on radar detectors. House Bill 674 has been advanced to the House of Delegates and will be put to a full vote. If you live in Virginia and believe the ban should be lifted, please take action and voice your opinion. You can use this website to look up your delegate and send them a message:

Welcome to the Virginia General Assembly - Who's My Legislator?

Here's what I wrote to my delegate and senator:
    "Gentlemen, I wholeheartedly support the lifting of the ban on radar detectors in the Commonwealth of Virginia. As an engineer who specializes in electronic warfare for the U.S. Navy, I believe that banning signal detection of any sort undermines the basic right of people to test the world around them. The ban effectively prohibits the use of any spectrum analysis equipment in a moving vehicle on the off chance that a police radar signal may be detected. Passive detection and acquisition of signals should not be regulated in any manner, as it is difficult to define what signals should not be intercepted. It is easy for one to accidentally detect those signals when performing unrelated tasks, making otherwise law-abiding citizens into criminals.

Furthermore, the use of radar detectors by citizens also acts as a check against police officers who may make false allegations of speeding. I often drive in Maryland, and when I do I use a radar detector. I recently received a citation for speeding in Maryland in which the officer alleged that he determined my speed by radar. My radar detector, which is a high-end model and which I have found to be very reliable, made no indication that the officer was actually using radar. I contend that the officer is attempting to bolster his case by stating that he was using radar when, in fact, he was not. The case has not yet gone to trial, but regardless of outcome, I am thankful for the evidence that I can bring against the officer. At a minimum, I hope to raise awareness of this issue, and hopefully prevent the officer from using similar tactics in the future. Reckless speeding should be combated by police, but not through false allegations and fabricated evidence

I sincerely hope that you will support me on this issue. Either way, thank you for taking the time to read this and for your service to our fine commonwealth.
    2009 WRX Sedan, Stage 1
    Stink Eye Mob Member #3

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Figures it will probably get lifted just as I move out of VA. I suppose I should join the fight anyway.
    Float like a butterfly and sting like when I pee