Viginia Emissions

This is a discussion on Viginia Emissions within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; So after searching, it seems as though there are still a lot of questions regarding a TBE. I have found ...

Viginia Emissions

So after searching, it seems as though there are still a lot of questions regarding a TBE. I have found specific examples for states like Utah and Texas, but seeing as how I live in VA, it doesn't really do any good.

I would like to run a TBE, however I think using one cat would be a must. Does anyone here live in VA and like to shed some light on the situation?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Emmisions is county by county. I used to live in Northern Va where emmisions was required. Now I live In Fauquier Co where there are no emissions. But,unless things have changed,for AWD cars its a visiual check with a OBD II scan since the emissions dyno only has 1 roller.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

the VA emissions website agrees with that. However with a TBE and only a high flow cat in the DP, would that even be acceptable as a 'visual inspecation' cat? Even if there are no OBDII issues?

What type of inspection is performed?

Gasoline-powered vehicles:

There are three types of tests: two-speed idle test, acceleration simulation mode test and an on-board diagnostic system test. 1980 and older model year vehicles, and all vehicles with a manufacturer's designated gross vehicle weight rating of 8,501 to 10,000 pounds, receive a two-speed idle test. This test measures hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide at 2,500 rpm and curb idle.

Most 1981 and newer vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating up to 8,500 pounds receive an acceleration simulation (ASM) mode test. The ASM test is performed on a dynamometer (also known as a treadmill) which allows the inspector to run the vehicle at only 15 mph and 25 mph. This type of test is performed to measure nitric oxide, as well as hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide. Some vehicles may not be able to receive the dynamometer test due to mechanical features such as all-wheel drive, full-time four-wheel drive, or traction control that cannot be turned off. These vehicles will be tested using the two-speed idle test. Newer vehicles may receive a test of the vehicle's on-board diagnostic computer system instead of or in addition to the regular tailpipe emissions test. Most vehicles receive an emissions control component inspection. The inspector will check for certain emissions control systems that were originally installed on the vehicle by the manufacturer. Most vehicles will also receive a gas cap pressure test, and a visible smoke inspection.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Emmisions is county by county. I used to live in Northern Va where emmisions was required. Now I live In Fauquier Co where there are no emissions. But,unless things have changed,for AWD cars its a visiual check with a OBD II scan since the emissions dyno only has 1 roller.
    When did you move up here?