Fog light in my 09 wrx shattered - where should I take it?

This is a discussion on Fog light in my 09 wrx shattered - where should I take it? within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Hey- Whats going on everyone? I discovered today my passanger fog light on my 09 wrx (that i have had ...

Fog light in my 09 wrx shattered - where should I take it?

Hey- Whats going on everyone? I discovered today my passanger fog light on my 09 wrx (that i have had for like 2 months) is shattered.

It's due for an oil change (and I bought the prepaid maintenance) so she'll be going to a dealer in MD soon (I live in white marsh). In fact, it'll probably go sometime this week.

What are the odd's that a dealership is going to help me out and throw a new bulb and new glass/plexiglass on there? Or does the entire thing just get replaced? I'd like to avoid shelling out any money since I just threw down like 30K (TTT, extended warranty, prepaid maintenance, and an 09 wrx hatch) two months ago.

Also - Is there a better chance of me getting "hooked up" if I go to a specific dealership in MD? There is a younger guy up at Jones in Bel Air who has actually been really nice to me. I almost bought a car from him but he sold it 2 days before the day I came with check in hand. I have heard good things about the place in Glen Burnie and Annapolis. Should I drive the extra distance to go there?

Thanks guys!
    2009 WRX 5 door White - "wht out"
    1998 VW Passat 1.8T Black - blown engine
    1988 Porsche 944 Black - sold
    1999 Honda CBR 600 - sold

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    First off... if you take it to the dealership that you bought the car from... it's MUCH more likely that they'll take care of it for you at a discounted rate (or even free!). Subaru has a "good samaritan" policy that allows the dealership to cover up to $1000.00 in issues with the car that aren't warranty-able. But those issues have to get approved. So is it a possibility that they'll do it for free to keep you happy? Yes. Is it more so a possibility if you go the the place that you bought it at? Definitely. Is it a guarantee? Not in the least bit.

My opinion? Take it in there... be super cool about it, and explain that you'd like a new one, but since you just dropped such a large chunk of change at their dealership, you were wondering if they possibly had an over-stock one, or out of box one, etc that they'd be wiling to work with you on.

Good luck!!
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Thanks for the info - I contacted the sales man that I bought it from and he said he would look into it. Contacted me back 5 min later and said the fog light is one piece and that I'd have to buy (149.99) the entiring housing of it inorder to replace the plexiglass. ouch! I think I might hold off and see if I can figure something else out. I'd rather spend 150 bucks and get my windows tinted.

Thanks again!

Here's a little help...

I would suggest visiting
    https://www.chaplinssubarugenuinepar...parts_cat.html
    Looks to be pn# 84501FG020 that you need.
    $120 + shipping

Quote Originally Posted by brbauer View Post
    Thanks for the info - I contacted the sales man that I bought it from and he said he would look into it. Contacted me back 5 min later and said the fog light is one piece and that I'd have to buy (149.99) the entiring housing of it inorder to replace the plexiglass. ouch! I think I might hold off and see if I can figure something else out. I'd rather spend 150 bucks and get my windows tinted.

Thanks again!
    note that the lens of the light is NOT "plexiglass" - it is regular old glass. Tap it with your fingernail or something hard (nail or whatever) and you'll hear the "tink" of glass. Both of mine have multiple cracks in them (they have not shattered though and the lens still feels "solid", and I even have the Subaru fog light shields fitted (which ARE plexiglass).

It's clearly a manfacturing problem or a heat problem, since with the shields on there's no way a rock could have hit mine.

Nissan had this same issue with the maxima, which in 00-01 had "plastic" lenses on the fog lights and then they switched to glass for 02+ and everyone was cracking them in short order.

No clue why a car company with "rally-car heritage" would put glass lenses on fog lights down so close to the road that are sure to take debris hits,etc. Pretty stupid in my book.

I'm not even bothering getting mine fixed since they'll surely just crack again. Might just pull them and put some brake ducts there.

Yea - I realized it was glass after I got down there and looked it over.

Mine completely shattered. Do you think if I contact Subaru regarding it they'll do anything? I want to fix it b/c it looks bad, but I'm in the same boat as you. If I fix it, will it just hit another rock and shatter again?

Wow 150... Isnt the whole kit to install with two lights and the switch like 225? interesting...
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

Quote Originally Posted by brbauer View Post
    Yea - I realized it was glass after I got down there and looked it over.

Mine completely shattered. Do you think if I contact Subaru regarding it they'll do anything? I want to fix it b/c it looks bad, but I'm in the same boat as you. If I fix it, will it just hit another rock and shatter again?
    unlikely they'll fix it, as damage to the exterior isn't usually a warranty issue. I'm keeping my eyes open for a plastic lens that I can swap onto my fogs - there's gotta be some kind of car out there that has a plastic fog lens that is the same/similar size, and I"m gonna find it eventually

Wow. At $150/each I guess the $20 plexi-glass protectors may be a good deal.