emissions and catless vs catted in nova (vienna/tysons)
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on emissions and catless vs catted in nova (vienna/tysons) within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Hey guys, i've gotten a lot of different/vague answers on this subject and i wanted some more help in deciding ...

emissions and catless vs catted in nova (vienna/tysons)

Hey guys, i've gotten a lot of different/vague answers on this subject and i wanted some more help in deciding whether to get a catted or catless invidia downpipe. I will have an accessport so the cel won't be a problem, and I would prefer to get the catless due to the much lower cost and slightly better power/flow. However, i do not want to have to switch it out everytime i go in for an emissions inspection, nor do i want to flat out fail. If need be, i will get the catted if enough people tell me i wont pass. Who from va/nova has catless, how do you pass, where do you go for inspection, etc. Any info is appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

1clean02_rex
    PM'D........ i'm also curious to hear from other locals.... i have my cat-less dp.... just waiting to put it on....

What I did was buy the TurboXs TBE with highflow cat and bought the race pipe so I could be catless when I wanted it. And it only takes, if that, 20 minutes to change out. Now with mine I have never had emissions done on my car...I get waivers lol due to Im military and dont live in that state. If anything it is worth researching that TBE to see if it will pass emissions. Im sure it would work for what you want.

Hope this helps. Goodluck in your search.
    youtube/Pics
    Blobeye Syndicate #314

1clean02_rex
    i was told i could run a cat=less dp, but just put on an high flow right after the dp...

Quote Originally Posted by 1clean02_rex View Post
    i was told i could run a cat=less dp, but just put on an high flow right after the dp...

You could. Now the TurboXs downpipe is both. It is a shorter downpipe then other brands so you can exchange the cat or racepipe. Research the system and you will see what Im talking about.
    youtube/Pics
    Blobeye Syndicate #314

I Support ClubWRX
    Read your local emissions laws - if you require a visual inspection of the emission control devices, you'll need to retain at least one cat (or something that resembles a cat) in your exhaust system.

One thing to consider would be to get a shorty DP (e.g., Bosal) and gut the OEM midpipe cat - it has the look of a catted system, but the performance of catless. IIRC, Micah on here runs the setup I mentioned with good results.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

considering im a emmission inspector in nova area technicallt witha ap it will pass due to no cel in ecu but as far as visual inspection goes it wont pass cause you have to see a cat in the dp and up technically but from a subie owner go all catless more power and better response and when its time for emmission pm me and ill take car of you

Quote Originally Posted by guiltyone311 View Post
    considering im a emmission inspector in nova area technicallt witha ap it will pass due to no cel in ecu but as far as visual inspection goes it wont pass cause you have to see a cat in the dp and up technically but from a subie owner go all catless more power and better response and when its time for emmission pm me and ill take car of you
    that would be perfect, but don't they inspect for cats with the normal inspection as well?

no not for state inspection as long as it doesnt have any leaks thats all va inspection really cares about not worried about cats

no not for state inspection as long as it doesnt have any leaks thats all va inspection really cares about not worried about cats
    alright thats good to know, thanks.
    where is the place you work exactly?

pm sent

Well when I move there in February Ill have to hit you up if I run into problems. But might just keep my ohio plates.
    youtube/Pics
    Blobeye Syndicate #314

so will my helix catted dp pass the visual then?

Quote Originally Posted by shmee40 View Post
    so will my helix catted dp pass the visual then?
    from what he said yes. The 07 wrx doesn't come with a cat in the up pipe. And you have a visual cat in the dp. As long as they don't know that it doesn't come with 2 cats in the dp i suppose.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance#8089
    MODS LIST

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.