Where to take old coolant? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Where to take old coolant? within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Originally Posted by pzr2874 Who the hell would put "any old green coolant in their car?" On the same note, ...

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
    Who the hell would put "any old green coolant in their car?"

On the same note, OEM and Peak, along with a few others is all the same. If warranty is what you try to save, then why mod your car at all ?

What radiator did you get ??
    Ummm, it is what you just suggested!
    Quote Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
    I run 75 distilled water / 25% or so green coolant, 1/2 a bottle water wetter. But that's down here.... fat chance of it freezing hurr.
    You want silicate and phosphate free. Color means absolutely nothing. Subaru + head gaskets = very bad record (especially 2.5). That is why conditioner is now required for all coolant changes. I suggest you click the link that was provided.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I wasn't going to run "any old green coolant." That's why I created this thread. There is alot of great information that has been provided since the start of this thread, thanks guys! I'll also provide a link to the one I started over on NASIOC. Also, Unabomber has a great FAQ that discusses various aspects of coolant.

I'll also post the one I started on the "burping" technique that has a great wealth of info about it (since it's been such a PIA!!)

Rogan: Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly.
    Mods List Build Thread
    Bugeye Mafia #196 High Mileage Club
    Fully Built EJ257 HYBRID & JDM STI 6-Speed

Miniature Awesomness

I Support ClubWRX
    i spent hours trying to burp my wrx's coolant system.. Caught the MATCO truck in town, bought this:

And was done in 5 minutes.

Best $25 I ever spent on the motor build!
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

I want that

(what is it?)
    Mods List Build Thread

Miniature Awesomness

I Support ClubWRX
    Rogan o_0

Thanks for the help tonight Rick.

When I opened the radiator cap, it was maybe < 1/2 full. I have a feeling it's just leaking like a mother out of the pet**** valve..

I also found that kit that you pictured. I'm going to go over to Advance Auto Parts w/ my roommate in a little bit and buy it. He said that it'll be in the store tomorrow morning, but I have to pay for it tonight. That's fine, because it's dark and I have class until noon anyways.

I'm going to take the old valve and put that one in there I think. It'll be messy, but at this point, it's just getting ridiculous so I don't particularly care anymore. I hope that I can get all of this resolved tomorrow......

While we find your parts, please enter your ZIP Code at PartsAmerica.com
    Mods List Build Thread

Miniature Awesomness

I Support ClubWRX
    No problemo, Andrew. Call anytime.

The low level may be due to the leaking petcok valve, but I firmly believe it it still a big air bubble, especially since the top hose is hot and the bottom one is cold; huge sign that no coolant is flowing..
    Rogan o_0

Agreed. Either way, it's still kicking my butt. I'll get that funnel kit tomorrow and try doing it all over again in the afternoon on the ramps.
    Mods List Build Thread

Miniature Awesomness

I Support ClubWRX
    Let teh car cool off completely, remove the radiator cap, and start squeezing the top rad hose. Do you see bubbles? If so, there's your answer.

If the drain plug is leaking (it sometimes does due to the little O-ring thingie) you should be able to see juice. Is usually doesn't just steam, it'll hit the chassis or the ground.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Let teh car cool off completely, remove the radiator cap, and start squeezing the top rad hose. Do you see bubbles? If so, there's your answer.

If the drain plug is leaking (it sometimes does due to the little O-ring thingie) you should be able to see juice. Is usually doesn't just steam, it'll hit the chassis or the ground.
    I've been doing just that. I know it's air bubbles, it's just been a complete ***** getting all of them out.

And yea, the little o-ring split right in half. Should I just take it off and tighten it like hell or re-use the old one? The one off the stock radiator seemed more solid then this one...
    Mods List Build Thread

Miniature Awesomness

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by STI_KLR View Post
    I've been doing just that. I know it's air bubbles, it's just been a complete ***** getting all of them out.

And yea, the little o-ring split right in half. Should I just take it off and tighten it like hell or re-use the old one? The one off the stock radiator seemed more solid then this one...
    My opinion is that you need an o-ring, and one of the correct size. If you have the old one, you can buy a new one. Make sure you make it clear what the purpose is for, so that you get appropriate material.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    My opinion is that you need an o-ring, and one of the correct size. If you have the old one, you can buy a new one. Make sure you make it clear what the purpose is for, so that you get appropriate material.
    Alright, will do. I just hope I don't lose TOO much coolant when i open it up...I'll have to be swift.
    Mods List Build Thread

Miniature Awesomness

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123