Beware of this MD cop
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Beware of this MD cop within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Saw this in another forum. OP- Just because of the car i drive, does that give the officer the right ...

Beware of this MD cop

Saw this in another forum.

OP- Just because of the car i drive, does that give the officer the right to search my engine bay? Is my car or myself being profiled as a streetracer? I do not street race.

If the officer asks me to pop the hood, and I do not give consent for him to search my car, what are the consequences of saying no to consent? Is a warrant required for an officer to search my car or will the officer have the car towed if i say no

MD Cop-Just as an FYI I profile your POS rice rocket and YES I would have you pop the hood. It is not a search in MD to have you pop the hood. I am allowed by MD law once I have my PC for a stop to conduct a FULL vehicle inspection on the side of the road to include driving it for a breif distance if I so choose to. However thats a bit much. Poping the hood looking for the turbo or the NOS tubes is plenty enough for me.

If you refuse? Then you get to go to jail for failure to obay a lawful order and I yank you through the vent window, you go to jail, and I impound your car......after I inspect it.
    Cliffnotes: OP drives an evo and is aggrevated by getting constantly "inspected" under the hood in SoCal.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    Is this happening in MD or SoCal? In CA they can & will impound your car if it is not smog legal. It's the law & they have every right to do it. In MD, not so much.
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

Quote Originally Posted by 20WRX04 View Post
    Is this happening in MD or SoCal? In CA they can & will impound your car if it is not smog legal. It's the law & they have every right to do it. In MD, not so much.
    The OP is from SoCal. The cop is a MD state trooper. Im not sure about the state trooper though. He is talking about what he will do in MD.

With street racing getting worse and worse, cops have enough probable cause to search cars for aftermarket parts. Obvious things such as exhausts, front mounts and such. Most cops wont just stop you and search you but the occasional as$hole might.

Quote Originally Posted by sbzenth View Post
    The OP is from SoCal. The cop is a MD state trooper. Im not sure about the state trooper though. He is talking about what he will do in MD
    So, the MD cop will do this to the SoCal guy if he ever comes to MD? I'm still lost. It sounds like a stupid internet argument.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

Quote Originally Posted by 20WRX04 View Post
    So, the MD cop will do this to the SoCal guy if he ever comes to MD? I'm still lost. It sounds like a stupid internet argument.
    pissed off Evo driver asks a MD cop what the cop can/will do in his own state

it is an internet argument

Why do Officers always ask to pop my hood in SoCal? - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com

Whats to look out for? He is simply doing his job, those parts are all ILLEGAL and not for the street. Look at the boxes, they probably say FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY. If you cant deal with the laws set forth by your state for car expectations, move to a state where the police fight criime and could care less about a car, unless its falling apart or really needs some kind of mechanical attention. Like Michigan
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

^^ His Evo is stock.

pissed off Evo driver asks a MD cop what the cop can/will do in his own state. it is an internet argument
    Why do Officers always ask to pop my hood in SoCal? - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com
    I only read 2 pages. I got sick of the Evo driver beating a dead horse. But the so called MD cop was kind of a d!ck.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

so what parts are considered illegal
    Tyler - Aspen White 04' STI
    Blobeye Syndicate #40
    Stage 2 - 312HP ~ 339 lb ft. torque
    Live Gamertag - TMANN05
    NOTE: If you run a turbocharger beyond itís compressor efficiency range, it will turn into a flame thrower.

i completely understand it if the car is obviously illegal.

For example, my car is loud as hell, and has no cats. So... if i got ticketed... well i deserve it.

But this guy is driving a stock evo and was referenced to be a street racer on his ticket that he got going 10 mph over the limit. He is saying he constantly gets stopped and searched for aftermarket parts.

Quote Originally Posted by tmann05 View Post
    so what parts are considered illegal
    almost all aftermarket from what i understand. but ive yet to run into a cop in MD that truly cares.

However, when i as in a hit and run last week, i reported it and got an officer dispatched to me. He came over, looked my car up and down and said:

"Looks like you were racin and hit a curb."
    Now, the damage was on the fenders.. so i said
    me "are you serious? you think a curb did this?"
    cop "there is curb rash on your wheels. Yes."
    me "thats from another time from rubbing a curb. I did NOT hit my car."
    cop "have you been drinking tonight?"
    At that point i just wanted to say "Yeah of course. I was drunk, hit a damn curb, and called you to get in trouble."
    i did say, "no... not at all..."
    cop "im going to cite that you were in an accident with no second party."
    me "WTF! SOMEONE HIT MY CAR!"

the cop never filed a hit and run. The person who hit me did eventually come out.

The point of this story is that with a fast car, or a fast looking one, we will always be profiled.

my car is loud as hell, and has no cats. So... if i got ticketed... well i deserve it.

But this guy is driving a stock evo and was referenced to be a street racer on his ticket that he got going 10 mph over the limit. He is saying he constantly gets stopped and searched for aftermarket parts.
    My car is catless as well. I feel the same way about getting a ticket. I only have myself to blame.

The Evo driver needs to realize that it's just how it is. As long as there are cops there will be people that get pulled over, whether it be for a good reason or not. Welcome to the real world.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

if all aftermarket parts were illegal, then they wouldnt be so widely available. i can see the emissions testing for exhaust, like u guy said thats your own fault, but how is a front mount intercooler, CAI, and so on illegal?
    Blobeye Syndicate #40
    Live Gamertag - TMANN05
    NOTE: If you run a turbocharger beyond itís compressor efficiency range, it will turn into a flame thrower.

No doubt about being profiled. Having a stock car on top of it. If he gets stopped that much, he could have a good case for harrasment.

Illegal parts pretty much start from the intake to everything above it. If its aftermarket and is a "performance part" chances are its illegal. It comes down to how strict your state is. Unless your state approves use of the part. Like california, it must be a CARB approved part in order to drive on CA roadways.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

Quote Originally Posted by tmann05 View Post
    if all aftermarket parts were illegal, then they wouldnt be so widely available. i can see the emissions testing for exhaust, like u guy said thats your own fault, but how is a front mount intercooler, CAI, and so on illegal?
    they are starting to justify it with the parts' relations to street racing. not just emissions.

edit: i forget where it was, but a couple months ago, a parking lot meet was raided and almost all cars were impounded for having mods. It wasnt CA either.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmm06 View Post
    No doubt about being profiled. Having a stock car on top of it. If he gets stopped that much, he could have a good case for harrasment.

Illegal parts pretty much start from the intake to everything above it. If its aftermarket and is a "performance part" chances are its illegal. It comes down to how strict your state is. Unless your state approves use of the part. Like california, it must be a CARB approved part in order to drive on CA roadways.
    true it must be laws by state. id only agree with parts being illegal when on the box it says "for offroad use only" and its being used on the road. i havent been pulled over in my stock STI yet, hope i never do, but i think the cops should be looking for real criminals. you know, the ones with drugs
    Blobeye Syndicate #40
    Live Gamertag - TMANN05

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.