woo who snow! - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on woo who snow! within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Originally Posted by RAS Evening, all. Just picked up my WRX last week, and didn't even think of snows until ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RAS View Post
    Evening, all.

Just picked up my WRX last week, and didn't even think of snows until today's 4". I would be grateful for any/all suggestions.

This car is a hoot!

Thx

Are you looking for snow tires or just general advice for driving in the snow?

If it's a brand new 07/08 wrx then the best advice is not to push the car. The stock tires are awful. They will do fine getting you around but I wouldnt get crazy with the car unless it's on a clear parking lot with lots of space.

Other then that just use some common sense. You can take off like a bat out of hell but AWD wont help you stop any quicker. Keep some basic winter gear in your car (blankets, fully charged cell phone, possible an energry bar or two in the glove box, rope etc) and you should be fine.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    but AWD wont help you stop any quicker.
    Isn't it amazing how many people forget this?

RAS

Snow Tires??

Thanks, 302!

Yep, looking for thoughts on snow tires/wheels. I've been driving an 00 A4quatro - which has migrated to my kids - and living with snow for a long time. Good advice there.

I was about to pull the trigger on some Blizzaks this year until I considered that most of the time we drive in slush and bare streets here in Pittsburgh's winter. At the same time, I drive in the hills to go skiing a lot, and the WRX is my new SUV...So, I'm thinking about some higher profile rubber of some sort, if it's needed. Suggestions would be very helpful and welcomed.

I Support ClubWRX
    I have Conti's ts810's on my STI now and I feel they are fine for my needs.

When they wear out I'll probay pick up a set of LM25's and use them out. I by no means need a snow tire for MD weather but I obviously couldnt drive on the summer tires and didnt want to replace them with all seasons as that would be a waste so I found some used rims with snow tires and slapped them on.

IMHO as long as you go with one of the top picks (Blizzaks, Nokian's WR, and some other high performance snow tires) you cant go wrong. People have also praised Dunlops M3's.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by GuiltySparc View Post
    ya, i pumped the pedal a couple times at a light and it seemed a bit better. Whereabouts in maryland are you? My adventure would have been more fun with a partner, or even my wife, who is out of town all week
    I'm in Ellicott City, won't take me more than 15-20 minutes to get up to Sykesville or wherever around there.
    Charlie
    Blobeye Syndicate #41
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3017183

u lucky sob's
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

94 Anthracite 6spd Supra - 9.87@147

LS2 RX7-2014 Tundra DC-GD Race Car In Progress

RAS

Anyone ever use chains for extreme conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    I have Conti's ts810's on my STI now and I feel they are fine for my needs.

When they wear out I'll probay pick up a set of LM25's and use them out. I by no means need a snow tire for MD weather but I obviously couldnt drive on the summer tires and didnt want to replace them with all seasons as that would be a waste so I found some used rims with snow tires and slapped them on.

IMHO as long as you go with one of the top picks (Blizzaks, Nokian's WR, and some other high performance snow tires) you cant go wrong. People have also praised Dunlops M3's.
    Thanks for suggestions. I dug around on the WRs and M3s and they certainly look like well regarded choices.

Has anyone here ever tried using chains for extreme snow?

Banned
    never fails , when its cold out and its snowing . someone will wear a t-shirt .....

Thanks for suggestions. I dug around on the WRs and M3s and they certainly look like well regarded choices.

I'm using blizzak LM25s and i think they are perfect for maryland. You don't lose a lot of dry grip and i just powered through 6" of snow last night. They are da bomb.
    --== Hawkeye Alliance Member #096 ==--

2007 OBP STi
    Shorty Shifter, Boost Gauge

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar

chains are something i have never needed. i doubt you will with good snow tires either. where do you live that you might need chains tahoe?
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

Quote Originally Posted by SonicWagon View Post
    chains are something i have never needed. i doubt you will with good snow tires either. where do you live that you might need chains tahoe?
    +1, i was churning through 6" of snow during my play time without any problems.
    --== Hawkeye Alliance Member #096 ==--

2007 OBP STi
    Shorty Shifter, Boost Gauge

Quote Originally Posted by viaburn26 View Post
    never fails , when its cold out and its snowing . someone will wear a t-shirt .....
    I think I one upped that yesterday, didn;t want to get the new puma's wet so I wore flip flops out for a little
    94 Anthracite 6spd Supra - 9.87@147

LS2 RX7-2014 Tundra DC-GD Race Car In Progress

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeC View Post
    I think I one upped that yesterday, didn;t want to get the new puma's wet so I wore flip flops out for a little
    Im rocking the flops right now....
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

i found a sweet off roading trail last night on the new 43 extension that connects white marsh to essex, dirt trails, fields, a nice hill to climb, plenty of room to drive through, 6 inches of snow had a blast! and its off the road so nobody can see you haha. I have kuhmo asx's on my car and they handled the snow no problem...... made out with just losing a few bolts off my front bumper, no major damage
    2004 STI jbp/gold bbs
    fp green
    aps 525 fmic
    aps 70mm cai
    850cc pe injectors
    aps turbo inlet
    turbosmart dual port bov
    cobb springs/exhaust hangers/accessport
    defi bf imperials/aem wideband 02

383 whp 386 lb/ft tuned by hill @ agile

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234