Snow setups - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Snow setups within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; I'll add them to my potential list as well I suppose. The Conti's on there now did very well in ...

I Support ClubWRX
    I'll add them to my potential list as well I suppose.

The Conti's on there now did very well in the deep stuff and some slight ice I ran into when I was sking in Western MD.

I suppose just about any higher performance snow tire will be fine through in MD with the Impreza platform.

Cheaper one who I think will last the longest will win out when I go shopping I think.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

They out perform the RE92s in the dry and I swear they had better dry performance than my Ziex ZE512 AS.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S 225/45/17 on stock BBS wheels. The rest of the suspension is stock.

This will be my second season on them. The RE70's are def. too hard for cold mornings. I was going to wait another 2 weeks to put them on, but I ran over a screw Monday. The are scheduled to be put on this Saturday(stupid Thanksgiving).
    -Taz
    Blobeye Syndicate #77

"Understeer is when you´re scared...
    Oversteer is when your passengers are scared"

I Support ClubWRX
    225/45/17 Winter Sports here also. They're on ASA JH3's. Just got 'em used so I haven't tried them out yet. So far they're doing well in the dry weather and fair on wet days. Just put on some RA Classics for the boatloads of cinder PennDOT dumps at the first hint of snow.

I Support ClubWRX
    Going up to Manchester on Saturday and tossing on the snow BBS's.

I'm sick of riding on rocks when it's in the 40's for the first ten mins.

I Support ClubWRX
    The silvers with Conti TS810's are now on. They have a TON of tread left after looking at them. The only thing that really sucks is the dude I got them from did an Auto-X school on them before selling them. The outside is rather tore up on the edges of the tires. Center tread has ALOT of life before you get down to the "winter" warning let alone the "tire" warning bar. It's ashame but I honestly think there are only 2 years left due to the hard cornerings on the tires.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chazly413 View Post
    Those are rather wide winter tires?
    not really , all depends the way you drive . last rwd car i had , had 225s on it while it was fine in snow but my roomy hate 245's on his car and it sucked big time .

like to find four spare tire rims and mount some snow tires on them 135 size should be great for the snow .

I Support ClubWRX
    Blizzaks
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

My Blizzaks were put on last week
    05 STi for sale, 400hp, 50k miles, only 17k

Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT View Post
    225/45/17 Dunlop Winter Sport M3's go on Wednesday.
    Best 17" snow tires available. They look really wide, which would lead to worse traction but I had them last winter and I loved them. They are like no other snow tire, as they still drive amazing on dry pavement. Read the reviews at Tirerack.com

Here they are with my self painted wheels(Duplicolor):

Looks even meaner with the Thule ski racks
    2004 WRX Sti Cobb Stage 2
    GO COUGS!!!

Just put the stock BBS's with the Blizzaks on last week. It's hard to put the Gram Lights up for the winter

I'll throw in another vote for the Dunlop Winter Sports. I got a set of them from Tire Rack on those $100 apiece Sport rims (dont' know who makes them) with free mounting and balancing. Pretty good deal for the setup, and those Sport rims look pretty nice on the car. I had the Winter Sports on my 911 and the car could drive through any amount of snow. Their dry grip is amazing too. I will never buy another winter tire for as long as Dunlop makes them. If you look on Tire Rack, they're ranked every year as the #1 winter tire in every category by a pretty good margin overall.

During a huge storm one winter, I shoveled the top of the driveway at my condo and left probably 6" of snow. It's a pretty steep driveway coming out of the underground parking garage. I only had a few inches of clearance on either side of the car too so there was no room to slip around. There was a guy shoveling his driveway on the other side of the road and when he saw me pull the 911 into the entrance I saw him smile and laugh. I could see him picturing me getting stuck. The smile disappeared when I climbed right up the driveway through all that snow without slipping at all and went right out onto the road. Man I miss that car...
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Okay guys get ready for the snow in MD. This means it's mandatory not to go above 5 mph up hills.

I was just out and people are silly. I realize it's a tad bit easier in an AWD vehicle but let's be realistic here folks....your RWD car can be driven in an inch of snow. Yes it's going to take some time, yes you will spin, and yes you need to moderate the throttle input.

I wanted to stay out and play but honestly I felt unsafe just driving down the main roads. People are all over the place it's not even funny.

Hopefully once all the OMG SNOW people make it home I can atleast drive to work in a safe fashion.

Yeah it's pretty crazy out there... I have RE92's in over two or three inches of snow
    Charlie
    Blobeye Syndicate #41
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3017183

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    ... you need to moderate the throttle input...

i need to agitate the whattle stick now?

seriously, people in maryland are like retards chasing their ear when it comes to the snow.
    --== Hawkeye Alliance Member #096 ==--

2007 OBP STi
    Shorty Shifter, Boost Gauge

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast