Snow - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Snow within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Originally Posted by mycologist I dunno, unless you go with a studded tire there is maybe like a 25% difference ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    I dunno, unless you go with a studded tire there is maybe like a 25% difference between a good all season and a good snow tire these days. The all season will do substantially better without the snow though.
    I guess I ment "must" as meaning a "must" to have alot "more" fun. I agree all seasons in a Subaru should be more then enough for the average snow user on the east coast.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm vowing to drive the evo in the snow this year, working on getting another set of wheels & some snowies in preparation
    Probably run wastegate boost through march though

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333 View Post
    Snow ftl
    Death to the infidels

I love the snow. It makes my heart pump more so than any car ever will.

Quote Originally Posted by 20WRX04 View Post
    +1 on the VA drivers. I lived down there in '04. I actually live in upstate NY now. I put my WRX away for the winter, but the Legacy definately gets sideways!
    What a coincidence, I moved down from Rochester in 05 I kinda regret it, i was able to drive from Henrietta to downtown Rochester in 10-15 minutes in rush hour. Now it takes me 30-50 minutes to drive 12 miles down a 5 lane straight highway (66 in northern VA). And I dont drive as fast I as did in NY, due to the new really harsh penalties here, $1000 for speeding anyone?
    Oh wait, what was this thread about?
    Canadian Tech Support:
    "ok, type su eh"
    Customer:
    $sua
    bash: sua: command not found
    ---------------------------------------------
    "Dont worry ma'am, we're college students, we know what we're doing"

low 70s all of the time FTW!!!

snow is cool, but at the appropriate times. September is not one of those times.
    LET'S GO COLTS!!!
    I have 5 infraction points. What do you have?

I dunno, unless you go with a studded tire there is maybe like a 25% difference between a good all season and a good snow tire these days. The all season will do substantially better without the snow though.
    I have some studless blizzaks on another set of stock wheels for the winter. The difference between them and re92s is night and day. In snow with the re92s I slide haphazardly around turns, slowly. With the blizzaks I can pull clean drifts around turns, in a much faster manner. The difference in grip is very noticeable. I swap between the two tires constantly in the winter (the snow tires are loud as hell when it's dry) so I've been able to compare the two in similar conditions right after one another.

Also, that is based on aggressive driving(screwing around), the difference in daily driving situations is much less noticeable.

CNs : Snow tires are well worth the money, they pay themselves off in smiles alone.
    ~Selah

DUB
    It snowed a few inches in the foothills here in Lake Tahoe two nights ago.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    I have some studless blizzaks on another set of stock wheels for the winter. The difference between them and re92s is night and day. In snow with the re92s I slide haphazardly around turns, slowly. With the blizzaks I can pull clean drifts around turns, in a much faster manner. The difference in grip is very noticeable. I swap between the two tires constantly in the winter (the snow tires are loud as hell when it's dry) so I've been able to compare the two in similar conditions right after one another.

Also, that is based on aggressive driving(screwing around), the difference in daily driving situations is much less noticeable.

CNs : Snow tires are well worth the money, they pay themselves off in smiles alone.
    I agree about the stockers for sure - here is my take on it from another recent thread:

I haven't read all the comments but I think I get the drift.

I am going to buck the system here again. All seasons have come a long way folks - mostly following development by Nokian of tires for year round use in Finland in the early 2000's. You can see compared to the all seasons I run there is a wopping 2% difference in ice traction (at low speeds albeit) versus a performance winter tire, and a 25% difference with a *Q rated* full on winter tire:
    Attachment 74182

Note in the article this data is misinterpreted to indicate a clear advantage, which is not at all supported except for the Q rated tire.
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...ay.jsp?ttid=80

Yet in the dry and wet in summer these RE960 tires surpass my old proxes 4s in every way. I think it would show much more than a 2% improvement (or 25% as the case may be) compared to snows on dry winter roads. Also, I would not consider a Q rated tire for personal reasons.

BTW the stock tires are designed so that you can learn to slide your car around a little better before you replace them with just about anything else in the world, all of which will bet better in any given condition.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I was sitting at work today daydreaming about snow... mmmmm snow FTW!

Im definetly up for a spur of the moment snow night.

Blizzaks FTW

Yeah I'm dreaming about snow, too. I'm saying Snow snow snow to Smoke on the Water
    Charlie
    Blobeye Syndicate #41
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3017183

I Support ClubWRX
    These 90 degree days have to stop. I think come December I'll toss my snow tires on. That means it probaly wont snow until March.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I Support ClubWRX
    anything north of Oklahoma is too far north for me...

..yes, I'm in Virginia.
    ..yes, I'm too far north.
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

This winter will be "interesting".

Still researching my snow tires of choice, but looking at Nokian RSis.

Second snow of the season today. w00r!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.