Cleared Headlights Legal?

This is a discussion on Cleared Headlights Legal? within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Yeah, yeah. I know this topic has been covered plenty of times however each thread i have read fails to ...

Cleared Headlights Legal?

Yeah, yeah. I know this topic has been covered plenty of times however each thread i have read fails to adress the removal of the amber colored reflectors. If these are removed, are the lights no longer considered legal? By the way, im in New Jersey. I appreciate any help i can get. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

This isssue usually applies state to state... Its more state law than federal law. Look up your laws concerning automotive lighting... You may want to look into other states laws that you often drive in or drive thru. Use google and do a search.

Most of the time when you "clear" our headlights or side markers, there are amber bulbs to replace the clear bulbs keeping your orange glow when illuminated.
    NEW ENGLAND F4

TUNERNetwork.com
    Great site for anyone in the north east.

My headlights are completly clear and have all stock lights (not amber) I have not had an issues nor have i heard of any from the 2 other people i know with them. Im not in NJ though.
    ...If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first.

Blobeye Syndicate numero uno.

I Support ClubWRX
    Removing the reflectors would surely make them DOT illegal, but I doubt a state inspection would look for that. A state trooper might on a car stop.

No reflectors could pose a remote risk of liability. Suppose someone plowed into the car at night. A sharp eyed policeman (or more likely a state trooper) might spot no reflectors and mention it in the accident report.

It is a great looking mod for sure, but I would not go to that much trouble for a little appearance enhancement.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I'm in NJ and have no amber in the front. Havent been bothered yet. It's just a fix-it ticket anyway. Just dont do it if you regularly drive around with a pound of cheeba in your trunk
    05 STi for sale, 400hp, 50k miles, only 17k

Changing to amber bulbs woud be a given but the reflector is my main concern. I know the JDM 06 head lights have clear reflectors. If there was only a way to get a hold on those, make my own, or strip the yellow out of the exhisting ones. Is that possible?
    Last edited by WRX88; 03-06-2006 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WRX88
    Changing to amber bulbs woud be a given but the reflector is my main concern. I know the JDM 06 head lights have clear reflectors. If there was only a way to get a hold on those, make my own, or strip the yellow out of the exhisting ones. Is that possible?
    Just get some clear reflective plastic from Home Depot or something and stick in where the amber ones used to be.
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

I was thinking of that but the reflector is such a complex shape. Maybe i will buy some orange reflective plastic and try to find a way to clear it (soak in bleach, peroxide).

Quote Originally Posted by WRX88
    I was thinking of that but the reflector is such a complex shape. Maybe i will buy some orange reflective plastic and try to find a way to clear it (soak in bleach, peroxide).
    You could just get a clear plastic rectangular/square reflector and glue it to the chrome. Not sure how good it would look though, I'm sure if you did a good job with it it would look fine though.
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

i could cut it to shape with a dremel tool and heat it with a heat gun to form it to the light. that could work.