Up/Pipe Install.. DIY or Pay?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Up/Pipe Install.. DIY or Pay? within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Speedwerkz in Edwardsville, PA said they could install my up/pipe for 0.00 which seems like a really good deal. I'm ...

Up/Pipe Install.. DIY or Pay?

Speedwerkz in Edwardsville, PA said they could install my up/pipe for $130.00 which seems like a really good deal. I'm also pretty handy and don't mind getting my hands dirty. Should I install my up/pipe myself or let a shop do it?

I keep hearing about how much of a ***** it is to do the up/pipe so I'm wondering if it might be better to just let speedwerkz do it. I'm just worried that they will say around $130.00 and after it's done tell me $250.00.

If I DIY it anyone in the area willing to give me a hand? I'm in Wilkes Barre, Pa. I have access to a garage and air tools put your basic hand tools. I have ramps and stands also.

One last thing. I picked up a ERZ up/pipe but I keep heading don't use the gaskets that come with it. What gaskets should I use and where is the best place to buy them?
    2002 PSM utec Stage 4
    Mods

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

from what i hear its not that hard and its always great to learn a lil more about your car. there are alot of tutorials on a few of these impreza forums

DIY, I was thinking about haveing someone do mine too. Did it myself last weekend, was done in about 4 1/2 hours (including stg2 reflash) with no leaks, and no fitiment issues.
    !mpreza
    2002 WRB WRX: COBB AP stg2, STi TMIC, Crucial Racing U/P and D/P, Blitz Nur Spec R cat back, Eibach pro kit,
    Greddy TT

DIY, its a good learning experience. However if you don't have all the right tools it can be a real bear. The only good thing about having a pro do the install is if there is a leak you can go back and yell at them.

I used OEM gaskets with some copper gasket sealer spray. Don't reuse your old gaskets.
    06 S40 T5 AWD
    Previous: 2004 WRX
    05 CBR600F4i

Yeah I think I might DIY it. It will give me some kind of idea as to what is what in case I do the turbo swap myself also.
    2002 PSM utec Stage 4
    Mods

Im currently running a stage 2 with lowering springs, control arms, and front and rear sway bars. I've done everything myself BUT the up pipe. My friend works for Honda and he did it for $75 bucks and was done within an hour. Thats the ONLY thing I didn't want anything to deal with, but if you have the time and patience, go for it. Good Luck!

Keith
    2004 Platinum WRX sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Keith04WRX
    Im currently running a stage 2 with lowering springs, control arms, and front and rear sway bars. I've done everything myself BUT the up pipe. My friend works for Honda and he did it for $75 bucks and was done within an hour. Thats the ONLY thing I didn't want anything to deal with, but if you have the time and patience, go for it. Good Luck!

Keith
    Yeah I just found a good writeup for it but man it looks like a pain.. I'm just hoping half way thru my friend isn't kicking my azz for not spending the $130.00 to get it done.
    http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5157
    2002 PSM utec Stage 4
    Mods

That's the tutorial I used. Also, there's a guide for tightening order of the bolts to prevent leaks I'll see if I can find it.

Make sure you have all the tools!

EDIT: Here's the Vishnu uppipe instructions, which include step-by-step tightening instructions: http://www.xmtp.net/cgi-bin/piki/VishnuUppipeDirections
    Last edited by 04blkWRX; 08-24-2005 at 06:19 AM.
    06 S40 T5 AWD
    Previous: 2004 WRX
    05 CBR600F4i

Quote Originally Posted by 04blkWRX
    That's the tutorial I used. Also, there's a guide for tightening order of the bolts to prevent leaks I'll see if I can find it.

Make sure you have all the tools!

EDIT: Here's the Vishnu uppipe instructions, which include step-by-step tightening instructions: http://www.xmtp.net/cgi-bin/piki/VishnuUppipeDirections
    Sweet.. Thanks 04blkWRX..

Now my only question is about the gaskets.. The ERZ up/pipe came with them (copper looks like) but I'm not sure if I should use them or buy new ones. And if I buy news ones which ones should I get?
    2002 PSM utec Stage 4
    Mods

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.