Car Got Stolen - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on Car Got Stolen within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Originally Posted by WRC_Obsessed Folks, can we please not publish how to defeat security on public boards. There is a ...

Quote Originally Posted by WRC_Obsessed
    Folks, can we please not publish how to defeat security on public boards. There is a very good chance the thieves are reading the forums.
    See what I mean? Ridiculous.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by WRC_Obsessed
    Folks, can we please not publish how to defeat security on public boards. There is a very good chance the thieves are reading the forums.

+1!
    Dave
    01 RS

i se your point, cyril, and i agree somewhat, but i don't think "how to break into a WRX 101" should be broadcast.

If these topics are to be discussed, i think they should only be based on how to improve security instead of blatantly highlighting how to work around it.
    Dave
    01 RS

Quote Originally Posted by cyrilgrey
    See what I mean? Ridiculous.
    I would rather, as I have done in the past, share that info through PM.
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

these NJ guys aren't stealing them to drive them. they're stripping them down and selling the parts.

Autolock or not, they'll just drag it onto a flatbed.

dR

Quote Originally Posted by dark_rex
    these NJ guys aren't stealing them to drive them. they're stripping them down and selling the parts.

Autolock or not, they'll just drag it onto a flatbed.

dR

I haven't heard of a single one taken in this manner. It's easier to find a car and just steal it.

According to the NYPD Auto Crimes, this is a single group or network of thieves in the east orange area. Remember the story about the kids who crashed one with an adult in the car? They teach young teens how to steal for them.
    When I caught them they were very professional. Not phased by my approached, casually got into their stolen SUV with mass plates (NY cops can't check out of states plates for theft status as easily), and drove off. I chased them, they got onto a highway and a cop pulled up to me and asked what happened. (He'd seen me fly down the block after them.)

Like I said, thieves aren't reading WRX boards for info on how to steal cars. Anyone who thinks they are is smoking crack. There is basically one standard method for stealing cars. Anything outside the norm and they'll usually walk away and find another easy target.

Quote Originally Posted by bigd
    i se your point, cyril, and i agree somewhat, but i don't think "how to break into a WRX 101" should be broadcast.

If these topics are to be discussed, i think they should only be based on how to improve security instead of blatantly highlighting how to work around it.

Well, I guess many people will get a first hand lesson...when their car turns up. Point is that if it is out there, known, and owners see how easy it is they would be more likely to do something about it. That translates into less stolen vehicles.

I also think the info should be spread, i also think knowledge is power.. but it can endanger the vast majority of subaru owners who don't read these boards. and not everyone on "enthusiast" message boards can be trusted, that, i know for a fact.

And how do you know (for a fact) that thieves don't read message boards? some of the most intelligent criminals research every possible resource. they're not all retarded thugs with a crowbar looking for a quick buck.
    Dave
    01 RS

BUMP!
    Glad to hear your car turned up!
    I read through the whole thing and though I'm only 16 I turn 17 in 2 months and plan on getting my rex pretty soon. I always figured I would just buy a AP and put it on theft mode when i was gone. Now you guys scared me into not doing that. Can someone PM as to why AP cant be fully dependable? Whoever does I have another question about doing something to make sure my car is safe, because my friends truck was broken into and 15k worth of equipment was taken, because the thieves did something. So have a question bout that. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH
    If she takes it in the ass and is presentable she's a keeper.

The best safety device is to NOT advertise what you've got. I never listen to my stereo loud within several miles of my home or work, or friend's places. Don't display stereo stickers stickers all over your car, they're just advertisements.

If you're worried about having your car broken into, there are a few things you can do to make it more difficult, but breaking into a car is still breaking into a car. a coathanger, locksmith tools, crowbar, and a screwdriver will get you into just about anything.

If you're worried about having your car stolen, then, thats another story. If someone really wants your car, there's nothing you can do... well, better than storing it in a locked garage. You have to find ways of disabling the engine in ways that would take a thief hours to figure out how to get it working again.. For most people, finding a way to deter the "common" thief is sufficient. PM some of the guys on this thread for some ideas, or other people to talk to.. (I'm not a security pro, so I wouldn't be able to tell you much.) also do some searches for WRX security.
    Dave
    01 RS

Quote Originally Posted by bigd
    The best safety device is to NOT advertise what you've got. I never listen to my stereo loud within several miles of my home or work, or friend's places. Don't display stereo stickers stickers all over your car, they're just advertisements.
    Big +1
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234