Passing New York state inspection

This is a discussion on Passing New York state inspection within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; I am currently cobb stage 2, I was told by a local mechanic that I will not pass the inspection ...

Passing New York state inspection

I am currently cobb stage 2, I was told by a local mechanic that I will not pass the inspection because they plug into the car and check the state of the o2 sensors which will fail in my case. I told him about the re flashing the ecu he said that didn't matter. Has anyone passed New York state inspection or know of a way to if the access port doesn't do it?

-Mike
    '04 WRB premium package.
    Gutted Stock up, Godspeed dp, Cobb AccessPort (Stage 2), Omori Turbo Guage, Omori EGT Guage, Falken 512's

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have AccessECU, not AccessPort. I'm assuming they do the same ODBII test that Vermont does. You should do fine. Hopefully someone with an AccessPort can back me up or tell me I'm full of it.

The check makes sure the sensors show as "ready", and they do with the Cobb flash. The only thing the flash does is change the values that set off the CEL. It doesn't disable anything.

I was nervous before my first post-Cobb inspection too but it passed with flying colors.

You'll need a visible cat on your exhaust, too. Hopefully you have this. (Or doesn't NY require one?)
    Last edited by vtjim; 06-09-2005 at 11:53 AM.

To stop the uppipe cell I originally did the resister mod. Should Iremove the resistor now that I have the access port? Will the resistor change the state of the o2 sensors?

-Mike
    '04 WRB premium package.
    Gutted Stock up, Godspeed dp, Cobb AccessPort (Stage 2), Omori Turbo Guage, Omori EGT Guage, Falken 512's

I don't want to answer because I don't have the AccessPort. I'm sure you wouldn't need the resistor with the AccessECU. I don't have a resistor. I'm betting you don't need it for the AccessPort either.

Someone will see this thread and answer. You could call Cobb and ask them, too.

I'm pretty sure the resistor puts it into a "not ready" state which will fail you. Again, someone who knows more than me should answer.
    02 WRX Sedan, Silver ("Bugeye")
    TXS Up-pipe, Turbo-back w/cat, Cobb AccessECU Stage 2.
    97 Legacy Outback, White
    Stock. Very stock.

Thanks, I bet your right. I'm going to go out and remove the resistor. I wonder if I need to let the ecu go through a few cycles before it readies the o2?

-Mike
    '04 WRB premium package.

its illegal to remove any emissions control devies so if they cehck for cats and youre missing, youll be tagged