rukkie's HDR shots
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on rukkie's HDR shots within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I figure not everybody hops on nasioc to see these, and it appears that clubWRX has a dedicated photography and ...

rukkie's HDR shots

I figure not everybody hops on nasioc to see these, and it appears that clubWRX has a dedicated photography and photoshop sub forum which is a pleasant surprise... Anyway, here are a few recent shots:

*** note: please copy the url link of the image as well if you wish to re-post this image elsewhere. Thanks ***

New image:

and then a few older ones:

Questions, comments, critiques, suggestions all welcome.

-Herman

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

very nice pics... that bimmer is hott too
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

those look fantastic. You used HDR just right IMO. Some people's cars end up looking chrome - which just looks weird to me.
    - Anna

Wise men say forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.

I love your technique, wanna share any tips on how you got such smooth looking cars?

I Support ClubWRX
    Wow, that is extremely well done, IMO.
    I need to try some HDR car photos...
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout" chanwahyaoh's Avatar
    Nice job. Glad to see you used HDR in an environment where it could be applied usefully. I see too many people doing HDR just for the sake of doing HDR, and they have shots of their car in a parking lot in the mid afternoon that look turdly. Yours are great.

Good HDR shouldn't LOOK like HDR.
    Turtles are nature's suction cups.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is HDR and how can I do it? Those pictures look awesome. Well done.
    Try not, do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
    Mods

I Support ClubWRX
    Which program did you use?
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by psychobooe View Post
    Sorry for my ignorance, but what is HDR and how can I do it? Those pictures look awesome. Well done.
    HDR is high dynamic range. What you do is take multiple pictures at different exposures (bracket if your camera can do so) so that you have pictures that are 2 stops too dark and 2 stops to bright, as well as a properly exposed picture. You can do any number over or under exposed really for more range. Then you use a program like photomatrix, photoshop, FDR Tools, ect. to blend the pictures together so that there is more dynamic range in the picture, meaning more detail in the shadows and more detail in the highlights than normally allowed with a single shot.

Digital sensors have low dynamic range compared to roll film anyways. You often see pictures outdoors where the sky is completely white. Well taking another picture that is underexposed will properly expose the sky, and then when you plent them together you have a properly exposed sky AND subject.

Also, a tripod is recommended so that you dont have any ghosting and get a nice looking picture.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by xfloggingkylex View Post
    Digital sensors have low dynamic range compared to roll film anyways. You often see pictures outdoors where the sky is completely white. Well taking another picture that is underexposed will properly expose the sky, and then when you plent them together you have a properly exposed sky AND subject..
    A polarized filter works well too.

In the Snap Shot of the Day thread, this question has been answered along with a few tutorial links that ought to help you out.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    A polarized filter works well too.

In the Snap Shot of the Day thread, this question has been answered along with a few tutorial links that ought to help you out.
    true because they make blue skies blue-er

The other alternative to fixing blown out (white) skies is a split neutral density filter so that the sky becomes a few stops darker than the rest of the picture.

true because they make blue skies blue-er

The other alternative to fixing blown out (white) skies is a split neutral density filter so that the sky becomes a few stops darker than the rest of the picture.
    i've been debating with my friend on whether to go with GND filters or polarizers on landscapes. I went with the GND route and he prefers the polarizer. Honestly I find both to be great but the polarizer works quite differently when comparing to the GND where it truly shines in landscape shots especially shooting in mid afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Which program did you use?
    Mostly Photomatix in the Tone Mapping stage, but then heavily on Photoshop in post processing where I try to make it NOT HDR looking.

I love your technique, wanna share any tips on how you got such smooth looking cars?
    Honestly I don't have any special tricks or programs to make my shots they way they look. I think it's a combination of the location and subtle changes in the post processing that makes them look better than the rest. I always keep in mind to check whether I'm making constructive editing in every single adjustment layer in PS, and I toggle everything on/off to compare to ensure I'm doing it good than harm. I have my lame attempt posted on my [http://hermanau.blogspot.com]blog[/url] where I wrote how I did one of my shots.

Quote Originally Posted by chanwahyaoh View Post
    Nice job. Glad to see you used HDR in an environment where it could be applied usefully. I see too many people doing HDR just for the sake of doing HDR, and they have shots of their car in a parking lot in the mid afternoon that look turdly. Yours are great.

Good HDR shouldn't LOOK like HDR.
    I absolutely agree with you... the reason I started doing HDR is actually because I hated HDR so much that I decided to get it right myself. At this point, I honestly don't see a reason why HDR would benefit a mid afternoon shot, but I have yet to try it in person. I attempted a landscape shot once before I did all these car shots, and it failed miserably.

Thanks to all your kind words guys. Really appreciate it

That looks really fantastic.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    How long did it take to post process and generate the HDR's?
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 05-21-2007 at 09:03 AM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

The images come out looking like illustrations, but WOW, i like it.

Very very awesome pics. I saw one of them on NASIOC last night.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.