Digital Camera/SLR banding in low light

This is a discussion on Digital Camera/SLR banding in low light within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I noticed in some pictures taken with my Canon Digital Rebel XT that there is a banding/striping pattern showing up ...

Digital Camera/SLR banding in low light

I noticed in some pictures taken with my Canon Digital Rebel XT that there is a banding/striping pattern showing up in dark areas of a lot of shots. I was shooting in a high (800) ISO in a dark setting using the night portrait mode mostly. Has anybody else experienced this issue? It something wrong with my camera or is this just a characteristic of the camera?

I have attached an example of what I am talking about. Look at how the well lit areas are fine, but the dark areas have the stripe pattern.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails banding.jpg  
    - Anna

Wise men say forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Oh weird, Does the XT have a built in Noise redution filter? If so try turning it off and seeing if that helps. I have noticed my dslr at ISO 800 on extended exposures leaves a weird gradient effect to the sky sometimes, but its the Noise filter trying to work too hard.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I'll check into that! I was doing some reading and i saw on one respected site that another professional canon has a similar problem, so that helps to sort of put me at ease. I thought I would go ahead and poll the people here in hopes that somebody else owns the same model I do and might have some experience with it. I need to learn how to master decent night shots of people in settings that are fast paced. I am such an amateur at photography, but I want to learn. I am a little paranoid about my camera too since I know I knock it around quite a bit - but that's the reality of how things go with me taking it all over the place

Ideally I need a new flash. Maybe some day I will get offered a random freelance job that will help me buy something like that.

I will look through my manual to see if i have that function you mentioned, though. Thanks for the tip!
    Last edited by Irish.Car.Bomb; 05-20-2007 at 04:54 PM.
    - Anna

dont use night mode, put your camera on M for manual and never take it off. open your shutter up to something like 1/10 and shoot at your lowest aperture. Put your white balance on the FLash setting. if your not using flash put it on K and in your menu you can select the color temp. select 2800. it looks better then tungsten.

Quote Originally Posted by c00lbeans View Post
    dont use night mode, put your camera on M for manual and never take it off. open your shutter up to something like 1/10 and shoot at your lowest aperture. Put your white balance on the FLash setting. if your not using flash put it on K and in your menu you can select the color temp. select 2800. it looks better then tungsten.
    Thanks

I do shoot in manual.. especially in more controlled settings. I just find that I am always too slow at metering and my subjects are always on the move. Do you suggest keeping the shutter speed at one average will be okay for that sort of situation? I usually need to use a flash also because I am not steady at all and I don't us a monopod at parties.
    - Anna

as for the banding i dont really get it that bad on my 20D. the red channel does get significantly more noise and banding then blue and green. Shoot Raw and in the raw processor you can fine tune the color balance to desaturate red and you can probably get rid of some of the noise and banding. it will take a bit of playing around to figure it out but it can be done.
    these pictures were red/pink and noisy but after desaturating the reds a bit and messing with the blues. they came out nice and the noise went down a bit

Those look really nice I would definitely need a bigger memory card if i shoot raw. I average about 120 pictures each time I take my camera out with me to an event. Right now I just have a gig.
    - Anna

Quote Originally Posted by Irish.Car.Bomb View Post
    Thanks

I do shoot in manual.. especially in more controlled settings. I just find that I am always too slow at metering and my subjects are always on the move. Do you suggest keeping the shutter speed at one average be okay for that sort of thing? I usually need to use a flash also because I am not steady at all and I don't us a monopod at parties.
    yea when its low light you dont really need to meter. just slow down the shutter speed to something that makes the ambiant light show up nicely. Use flash to freeze the subjects. Remember shutter speed has no effect on the flash exposure, there is a separate setting in the camera that controls how stong the flash is. 50mm 1.8f is nice for no flash, you can put the camera agianst a wall and shoot pretty slow hand held.

I mentioned your banding problem to my Canon USA rep and he said that it is a sensor problem and you can have it sent back and fixed at Canon.
    Call 1800 OK CANON and they should be able to help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish.Car.Bomb View Post
    Those look really nice I would definitely need a bigger memory card if i shoot raw. I average about 120 pictures each time I take my camera out with me to an event. Right now I just have a gig.
    I saw a good deal on Adorama going through tot he 31st of May. i think a few members have picked up on this deal too.

Sandisk Extreme III 4 gigs for 40$!

Good luck and happy shooting!

~myke
    ::2004 JBP WRX::