My new DSLR Impressions........Sony A100 - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on My new DSLR Impressions........Sony A100 within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by nocturnal_wrx ISO is the "films" sensitivity to light. The lower the number (100) the better the quality, ...

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnal_wrx View Post
    ISO is the "films" sensitivity to light. The lower the number (100) the better the quality, but has a harder time with low-light shots. The higher the number (1600) the better low-light images will turn out, but with degraded quality.

Shutter speed is just how long the shutter stays open for. So 1/6 is a sixth of a second and quite slow, where 1/500 is a five-hundredth of a second, and quick.
    so just because a camera has a range of shutter speeds doesn't necessarily mean it is manually adjustable?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by efmd3 View Post
    so just because a camera has a range of shutter speeds doesn't necessarily mean it is manually adjustable?
    Nearly any camera is going to have a range of shutterspeeds, as well as aperture settings. It has to have some way of adjusting the exposure. Whether or not the operator has any control over it is a different question.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Nearly any camera is going to have a range of shutterspeeds, as well as aperture settings. It has to have some way of adjusting the exposure. Whether or not the operator has any control over it is a different question.
    <---camera n00b

I Support ClubWRX
    <---camera n00b
    Well, I'm certainly not on the level of c00lbeans, Verdugo, or any of our resident photogs. I know enough to get by when I need to do some manual work.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

so sorry to hijack, 06wrxforme, but why does the camera say ISO speed and would long time exposure not be similar to shutter speed???

I Support ClubWRX
    so sorry to hijack, 06wrxforme, but why does the camera say ISO speed and would long time exposure not be similar to shutter speed???
    I'm not who you're asking, but:

ISO comes from the film photography days, and refers to different "speeds" of film. In other words, how fast they react to exposure to light.

A long time exposure would be setting your shutter speed to hold the shutter open for a lengthier time, if I'm understanding your question.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I'm not who you're asking, but:

ISO comes from the film photography days, and refers to different "speeds" of film. In other words, how fast they react to exposure to light.

A long time exposure would be setting your shutter speed to hold the shutter open for a lengthier time, if I'm understanding your question.
    yea, i was trying to figure out the difference between sensitivity (iso) and iso speed

I Support ClubWRX
    yea, i was trying to figure out the difference between sensitivity (iso) and iso speed
    I think of them as the same thing.

<===could be wrong.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    I think of them as the same thing.

<===could be wrong.
    I think of them as the same as well Ray.

Shutter speed 4–1/1400 seconds, long exposure max 4 seconds
    Shutter speed is how fast the shutter opens and closes to allow light in to expose the film (or in our case the sensor). What that means is your camera has a range of shutter speed of 4 secs-1/1400secs. Obviously the longer The shutter stays open, the more light it lets in and the more exposure you get. Therefore, the darker it is outside the slower the shutter speed you are going to want.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    I think of them as the same as well Ray.

Shutter speed is how fast the shutter opens and closes to allow light in to expose the film (or in our case the sensor). What that means is your camera has a range of shutter speed of 4 secs-1/1400secs. Obviously the longer The shutter stays open, the more light it lets in and the more exposure you get. Therefore, the darker it is outside the slower the shutter speed you are going to want.
    Thank you for your help! I've been playing with the settings all day, taking pics inside, outside, in rooms with the lights off, etc. just fooling with those settings.

I Support ClubWRX
    Thank you for your help! I've been playing with the settings all day, taking pics inside, outside, in rooms with the lights off, etc. just fooling with those settings.
    Best way to learn Thats how I did. I had a Panasonic Lumix FZ5---Super Zoom (still do) which is a step below an SLR that really helped me learn. I took 11,000 pics in 2 years with that thing.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.