What do you think...?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on What do you think...? within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Not sure how I feel about my edit on this shot. I've attached the original (_MG_9341) and the edit (RachGreyShirt001sm). ...

Question What do you think...?

Not sure how I feel about my edit on this shot. I've attached the original (_MG_9341) and the edit (RachGreyShirt001sm). The orig is a super compressed file and the edit was done from a higher res file, so it might be a bit hard to fully judge, but yea... any input from you PSers and/or photogs would be much appreciated.

FWIW, I'm not the photog in this shot, I'm in it--so a critique on the lighting isn't what I"m looking for. Critique on the pose, expression, etc. is welcome too though.

And yes, I had FULL permission to edit my shots from this shoot.

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails _MG_9341.jpg   RachGreyShirt001sm.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

the edit is fine as pretty much takes care of the washed out spots in the original although i'm not sure about darkening the all blue 80s background. you might just want to edit the body and not the background. if i were you i would probably go with some lighter colored clothing next time as that won't whiten up your skin so much and then you wont have to bring it down so much. you probably want to stay away from pink as it'll wash out you skin\hair color, red heads usually shoot best with some sort of green on.

The background was actually that bright blue color--I didn't make any changes to it (though it may have darkened with whatever processes I used in editing--I dont remember and don't have the file here at work). I have a couple other shots (attached) of the same background, different outfits so you can see--they're all unedited.

I'm naturally blondeish reddish and naturally pale as all hell. My hair was dyed Oct 31 and it's growing out/fading (it was supposed to last 28-30 washes, and I assure you I've showered more than that since then! LOL! It was just way darker and waaaay redder than my natural color--think Dr. Pepper.). Here's an older pic of my natural color in natural light, and a bit of a tan + professional makeup:

(Taken by F22-Raptor on NASIOC actually--Don't know if he's got a name here)

My skin's actually almost translucent in places. And I turn blue when I'm cold. It's freaky.

So really, there's not much that can be done in studio lighting (esp hi-key) to make me not look as pale. I've decided to embrace the paleness LOL!

Typically I look fantastic in pink, even being more on the red side hair-wise. Unfortunately, I don't really have anything with my current color and pink.

Edit--duh, one of the attached shots is me in pink. :headdesk:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails _MG_9373.jpg   _MG_9383.jpg   _MG_9434.jpg  
    Last edited by Butterflie; 03-08-2007 at 11:01 AM. Reason: typo

Banned
    _MG_9434.jpg (8.2 KB, 1 views)

Peachypumpkincheeks

Quote Originally Posted by Butterflie View Post
    Not sure how I feel about my edit on this shot. I've attached the original (_MG_9341) and the edit (RachGreyShirt001sm). The orig is a super compressed file and the edit was done from a higher res file, so it might be a bit hard to fully judge, but yea... any input from you PSers and/or photogs would be much appreciated.

FWIW, I'm not the photog in this shot, I'm in it--so a critique on the lighting isn't what I"m looking for. Critique on the pose, expression, etc. is welcome too though.

And yes, I had FULL permission to edit my shots from this shoot.

Thanks in advance!
    Personally I like the undedited shot better (_MG_9341) because the overall picture and lighting softens up your look and the lighting works really well with the clothes. It's more of an 'artsy' type approach though, and one you would find in an editorial spread. In comparison, not one you would put in an ad. In the edited picture (RachGreyShirt001sm), your face looks a lot harsher and you look like you're in pain (not the good broken-heart pain, more like the 'I'm constipated' kind of pain). Also, in the second picture there is too much contrast between the clothes and the background nothing pulls me in specifically, and your face just becomes part of the overall picture rather than the focal point. Basically the picture is 'bigger than you'.
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Peachypumpkincheeks

BTW, Butterflie, I <3 you subie girl! So don't be offended by anything I say, I'm just trying to critique you from experience so you have the best shots for whatever you're using them for (your portfolio perhaps?).

_MG_9373.jpg (8.4 KB, 1 views)
    --Too washed out and your face is lost behind the glasses. Even with dark glasses on, your face should still look posed.

_MG_9383.jpg (14.2 KB, 1 views)
    --Boring facial expression. You're missing the 'fierceness' behind your eyes that would make this a much better shot. Also, you should wear a 'punch' of color because the light blue is competing against the B&W you're wearing. Perhaps turn this into a B&W shot?

_MG_9434.jpg (8.2 KB, 1 views)
    --Excellent color on you and good body pose. Only critique I have with this picture is the hair in your face. This is a HUGE model no-no for glamour shots. Get that hair outta your face! A natural beauty should not be hiding behind her hair.

Conclusive pointers: with your 'look' and skin tone, you should totally be rocking bright yellows, dark purples, bright red, and pinks. Definietly mix and match those colors. I'd also love to see the redder hair on you, because I'm sure it pulls out your facial features more. The overall thing missing from your pics was a sense of identity...you're not just a model, you have to play a part to embody the emotion, but you can still do this while looking pretty/beautiful/sexy. The first pic was the only one with any real emotion, but didn't convey it while still maintaining a 'softness' in your face. I'd be happy to critique any other photos you have, just send them my way.

P.S. One of the best photos of you is the one where you're all in black with black boots, lying on the ground. That's what you should capture.

Thanks Heather That's more along the lines of what I was looking for And I think you're right about what the edit did to my expression--perhaps that's why something felt 'off' about it.

Ron (the photog) is a lighting GOD. I can send you some others I've shot with him to illustrate, but I'd rather not post the bulk of them here (because of posts like the one above your 2 ). The black boots pics your referring to is one of his as well. I adore shooting with him--he captures me very well

The pics I posted aren't necesarily ones I'll be using--just ones that I pulled from the low-res batch the photog sent me that I currently have access too (have everything hi-res at home) to show that background was indeed a fantastically nearly-80's turquoisey blue And them being low-res has kinda distorted them too I think, blah.

Here's another shot (3 I compiled) from the same shoot. Prob embodies a bit more of what you were sayin':

We shot a ton that day (as usual--haha he and I can shoot for hours without even noticing--our first shoot together was 14 hours long, no breaks!) and had a blast (again, as usual).

Ok, and now I'm rambling.

Banned
    this is a nice thread, I like your pro pics

Peachypumpkincheeks

Quote Originally Posted by Butterflie View Post
    Here's another shot (3 I compiled) from the same shoot. Prob embodies a bit more of what you were sayin' [pic]
    Now that's EXACTLY what I'm talking about! Especially the first shot. You're body is doing something crazy and physical, but you are still able to maintain control over your facial expression and keep it soft/pretty. Love it!

I also just looked at your myspace pics and saw your new ones and that's TOTALLY what I was trying to convey!

The "Copyright 2006 Christian Starr" one...totally fierce!
    The "PINK Girls" and "Twinkies!" pics are the PERFECT colors on you.
    Overall you have several very strong shots, so keep up the good work! You don't have to work everything, just do what works for you!

I Support ClubWRX
    I like the unedited one the best, too.

What are your goals for these pics - or are they just for fun?
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

your skin is too blue in the second pic, otherwise the contrast is fine. um lighting should be with soft light but you didn take it.....

your pose is pretty good, and the cloths look good, but there needs to be a fill card on your hand on your hip and that side of your body to brind out some detail in the shadows. decent picture all around. in a nutsheel use a fill card and softer light and maybe a tanning bed

Quote Originally Posted by c00lbeans View Post
    and maybe a tanning bed
    :snort: Thanks! Made me laugh.

I model just for fun... don't really expect to "go anywhere" with it. In a nutshell, my measurements aren't really "ideal" for anything but figure studies/art nude work, and I'm not looking to go in that direction. If I wanted to go with an agency I could consider petite modeling, but I really don't want to deal with an agency. SO yea, it's all for fun

Going to revisit these all a bit later. Might totally trash that edit and play with some other shots.

Heather, thanks

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.