I want to start photography
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on I want to start photography within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm planning on picking up photography soon what are some recomondations from people who are more experianced then i am ...

I want to start photography

I'm planning on picking up photography soon what are some recomondations from people who are more experianced then i am for a good starter kit if you will i dont really wanna spend more then 2500 on it for right now
    Tomorrow isn't a guarantee.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

anyone???

Yo- my friend just picked up a canon rebel xti - it's a 10.1 MP SLR that retails for well under $1000. That should free you up to spend another grand on lenses and whatnot. It's a really good starter camera with all kinds of capabilities. If you want to go higher end on the body, the canon 30d is the next step up. I know nothing of nikon so I'll leave that for the nikon people on the board, and there are many of them. Everyone has their preferences between those two, but when it comes down to it, they're really comparable in build, quality and price.
    Dead is Hard. Life is Much Easier. Be Adequite.
    -Lindsay Lohan

coo thanks man

$2500 can get you alot. Get a used 20d or rebel xt, 18-55mm 2.8f, 50mm 1.8, and some decent zoom telephoto like the 70-200mm f4. You will be set for alongtime before you want or need any other lenses.

I have a 125$ digital camera
    CGM

Quote Originally Posted by c00lbeans View Post
    $2500 can get you alot. Get a used 20d or rebel xt, 18-55mm 2.8f, 50mm 1.8, and some decent zoom telephoto like the 70-200mm f4. You will be set for alongtime before you want or need any other lenses.
    sweet thanks a lot man

"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout" chanwahyaoh's Avatar
    Honestly, I would first spend my money on books/classes and learn as much about photography before I invested in any expensive equipment.

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-...e=UTF8&s=books

http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Digi...e=UTF8&s=books

start reading the forums at www.photography-on-the.net
    (Do lots of searches, read the FAQs, then ask lots of questions)
    Turtles are nature's suction cups.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

Title: I want to start photography

First, you can't start photography. That's already been done, a very, very long time ago. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Reading before doing:
    Brad, that's no fun. Half of the fun is spending the money then feeling remorseful about it afterwards. j/k

Your point is good; however, for my feeble brain, I always found that while I could learn techniques from reading, it was the practical application that pulled it all together. Seeing the results is what solidifies learning for me. (see feeble brain comment above)

+1 for c00lbeans
    I'm a big believer in buying (quality) used equipment. Look where professionals frequent the forums for the best equipment at a fair price. Personally, I avoid eBay - too many horror stories. If I'm going to spend $$$$ on equipment it will be from someone with a good reputation as a photographer, as well as a good rep for selling their equipment to other photographers who can vouch for him.

Prices of DSLR bodies plummet quickly, but good lenses (Canon L-series, Nikon high-end) hold their value well over time. Buy the best body you can justify and need based on your type of shooting - IE: sports, etc., but splurge on glass. I have lenses that have outlasted all the DSLR bodies I've owned.

Peace,

Curtis

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by chanwahyaoh View Post
    Honestly, I would first spend my money on books/classes and learn as much about photography before I invested in any expensive equipment.

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-...e=UTF8&s=books

http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Digi...e=UTF8&s=books

start reading the forums at www.photography-on-the.net
    (Do lots of searches, read the FAQs, then ask lots of questions)
    I am actually going to start taking up photography also, I was looking at some classes and talking to people who have taken those classes and they say you need to have a digital SLR at least at your disposal. The person I talked to who had gone thru the classes said he started by borrowing, but he needed it so much the person who owned it got kinda upset and he just bought his own. That is just here in my area, I dont know about yours, or where Newks is but it may be the same.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dsel View Post
    Yo- my friend just picked up a canon rebel xti - it's a 10.1 MP SLR that retails for well under $1000. That should free you up to spend another grand on lenses and whatnot. It's a really good starter camera with all kinds of capabilities. If you want to go higher end on the body, the canon 30d is the next step up. I know nothing of nikon so I'll leave that for the nikon people on the board, and there are many of them. Everyone has their preferences between those two, but when it comes down to it, they're really comparable in build, quality and price.
    I cannot seem to find any info on anything higher than the canon rebel xti, like the 30d you mentioned. I have a canon powershot s2is right now, so I would like to stick with canon since I know how to use it.. Somewhat..

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

whatever camera you buy, buy better lenses.

if you buy a $1500 camera & a $100 lens, you will probably be really upset with the quality. as TurbeauxREX said, lenses hold their value, while bodies lose their's as they age.

i would recommend handling the camera's and find one that fit's you. don't get caught up in teh megapixel debate

decide what you are going to photograph. this will help you choose what equipment to buy.

also read alot before you make the purchase.

I started with a rebel XTi and the 50mm1.8. This setup will keep you well under 1k and when you realize the limitations of the nifty 50 you will know exactly what you want.

Sn
    ale Power: -BriTon
    06 STi=dead

RSTi Swap FTW
    Hawk-Eye Allience #013

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.