Couple of Digital SLR questions from a 35mm guy
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Couple of Digital SLR questions from a 35mm guy within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys... I'm about to get back into the photography game after about a 7 year break. In high school ...

Couple of Digital SLR questions from a 35mm guy

Hey guys...

I'm about to get back into the photography game after about a 7 year break. In high school I used to shoot with an old school Pentax K1000 in B&W and develop my own film and prints. For some reason I just lost interest, but I'm amped to get back into it and buy a DSLR. I don't have a ton of cash to spend, but I know that I'll get back into it and love it. I want to buy a camera that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, but has good "modding" potential. I'm looking at the Canon Rebel XT (350D) and I have a couple of questions.

First off, for anyone that has this or has used this camera, I would like your input. What do you like about it? What do you not like about it? Is the "stock" lens worth it or should I just buy the base unit and a different lens? Does anyone have any sample pics from an XT with/without the stock lens?

The Rebel XT is the only one that I'm looking at right now, but are there any other cameras in the same price range that I should look at?

Thanks guys. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If I were in the market now, I would get the XTi, which has 10.2 megapixels. I have a 20D, and I'm really happy with it. There are nikon guys here too, but you can't really go wrong with either brand. The lenses are at least as important as the body, but the XTi is a great setup. What is the package lens?
    Dead is Hard. Life is Much Easier. Be Adequite.
    -Lindsay Lohan

I've been using the Rebel XT for more then a year and would not replace it with anything else. Sure there are better, more expensive, and more sophisticated cameras out there, especially from Canon but considering that the XT is an entry level professional camera I think it is well more then enough for an amateur professional (note the professional part, you can do A LOT with this baby).

Check out some of the galleries of pics I've taken with it:
    Gallery_1
    Gallery_2
    Gallery_3
    Gallery_4

I even went as far as taking it for a professional photo session at my friend's wedding. They loved the pics.

As far as the stock lens kit - well, it's ok to start out with but it is not the best lens, so if you are considering getting just the body and another lens later on I'd really suggest doing some research for a wide purpose lens other then the stock one.

I don't know about the new Rebel (D400) but I've heard opinions that the higher pixel count works against picture quality. Something about more noise especially in low light situation.
    Blobeye Syndicate #1337
    man vs technology blog
    MvT@YouTube

i've been using the rebel xt for a lil over a year now also
    it's been an amazing camera, the kit lense is decent... but other lenses will produce sharper images and the kit lense has a little more trouble focusing in low light.

if i were on the market right now i'd be buying the rebel xti
    The large list of added/upgraded features are very much worth the extra $100

the nice thing about the kit lense is that it will do 18mm wide angle shots and for the money it's almost unbeatable from that respect

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm Nikon fan.

D2Xs ftw!
    Last edited by TheJ; 11-13-2006 at 07:24 PM.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    ^^u go TheJ

i have both Canons and Nikons
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Quote Originally Posted by WagonGuy View Post
    I don't know about the new Rebel (D400) but I've heard opinions that the higher pixel count works against picture quality. Something about more noise especially in low light situation.
    More pixils in the same space make more heat and more noise, BUT the 400d has an improved sensor from the 350d(they didnt just put more pixils on it) so it creats less noise. Plus the 400D has a self cleaning mode and some other things, the most important being the 9 point autofocusing system from the 30D.

They kit lens is only a 100 bucks so you might as well get it. Any decent zoom lens is going to cost at least 400.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug05WRX View Post
    Hey guys...

I'm about to get back into the photography game after about a 7 year break. In high school I used to shoot with an old school Pentax K1000 in B&W and develop my own film and prints. For some reason I just lost interest, but I'm amped to get back into it and buy a DSLR. I don't have a ton of cash to spend, but I know that I'll get back into it and love it. I want to buy a camera that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, but has good "modding" potential. I'm looking at the Canon Rebel XT (350D) and I have a couple of questions.

First off, for anyone that has this or has used this camera, I would like your input. What do you like about it? What do you not like about it? Is the "stock" lens worth it or should I just buy the base unit and a different lens? Does anyone have any sample pics from an XT with/without the stock lens?

The Rebel XT is the only one that I'm looking at right now, but are there any other cameras in the same price range that I should look at?

Thanks guys. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!
    Doug,

What is your budget for a camera & lens?
    (Don't forget extra batteries)

While I don't personally have any variant of the digiRebel, several of my friends have the original version and love it and get great images from it. Having said that, unless you are opposed to buying used equipment, you may want to look into a good-condition, low-clicks 20D. These are going for ~$700 and if you buy from a pro-photographer's site (ie: NOT eBay) you can make a sound purchase.

The digi-Rebel may fit your needs perfectly, but, be aware of its light wieght construction and limited features as compared to one of Canon's prosumer cameras (10/20/30D) or pro models (1D/1DMkII/1DMkIIn/1Ds, etc). While costing significantly more the performance differences are proportionate to their price. Namely, as price increases, so does performance. Specifically in the area of autofocus speed, low-light performance (AF and noise reduction) , expanded selectable autofocus points, to name a few. Of course, at this point, none of this may be of concern to you. Once you know what you want from your camera and type of shooting you want to do you may be more interested in the aforementioned features.

Good luck with your decision.

Peace,

Curtis

I have a Rebel XT and like it, but going back, i think i might have gone with a 20d or 30d mostly because they are faster.

3fps on the Rebel is still ok for most people, especially if you are not doing a lot of action shots, but with doing pictures at the dragon, the 5fps would make a huge difference.

I do really like my XT. If you are able to and want to stay in that same range, get the new XTi as mentioned by someone else.
    For the money, the XT and XTi camera are going to probably be the best bang for the buck, especially if this will be your first DSLR. Once you outgrown the XT or XTi, they are pretty easy to sell on ebay or you can keep it as a spare camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

Quote Originally Posted by WagonGuy View Post
    I've been using the Rebel XT for more then a year and would not replace it with anything else. Sure there are better, more expensive, and more sophisticated cameras out there, especially from Canon but considering that the XT is an entry level professional camera I think it is well more then enough for an amateur professional (note the professional part, you can do A LOT with this baby).
    Huh?

While I appreciate your enthusiasm Wagonguy, your statement "but considering that the XT is an entry level professional camera", is totally misguided and only something that a camera salesman would say. Canon does not promote the Rebel line as an entry level professional camera, nor would anyone whose ever been within 10 feet of a professional camera.

While perfectly capable of making excellent images (within its range of use) it is in no way, shape or form a professional camera. This is not merely my opinion, mind you, but a factual statement.

That's not to say that a professional photographer would not use a digiRebel, I'm sure some do, but, don't be fooled by the commercials on television. Just watch any sporting event on TV, or press conference coverage and notice what's being used.

Sorry to all you Rebel owners who've already posted; no insult intended. Just correcting a very, very false statement.

Peace,

Curtis

i agree for the most part on it not being professional camera...i would not think that very very few pros use it as a primary camera. In the canon line, i would think the 20d would be the base they use.

The rebel XT is more a beginners DSLR with some good features that might be able to produce SOME professional type results if used the right way. Compared to point and shoot cameras, it is fanastic and you might think it is the best thing. For most people it will be more than enough DSLR for them since it does have some great features.

some will outgrow it and move up to the 20d or something, but for most picture takers, it is a good inexpensive (compared to other DSLRs) way to get some great photos and have many new tools available that were not available in the point and shoot section of cameras.

for those of you that do the professional thing, you probably dont have an XT or XTI unless it is an extra camera and/or was one you handed down to someone when you started doing it on the current level.

while the XT is a great camera, as mentioned, it is not going to be a camera you see at an NFL game being held by the Sport Illustrated crew...

if you are new to DSLR, you probably cant go wrong with the XT or XTI. If you plan on pursuing photography on a more than entry level, you may want to consider paying more initially for a 30d or something (Im a canon guy) instead of having to buy a 2nd camera down the line when you outgrow the XT.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

Both Canons and Nikons are great cameras...Im a Nikon guy so Im gonna suggest a D50 or a D70...both of those are very reasonably priced.
    -03 WR Blue WRX - -Cobb Stage 2 w/Uppipe and Intake-

Thanks very much guys. I really appreciate all of the feedback. I still have to really decide how much money I can spend. Most likely that will be the determining factor. I've been spending a lot of time on bhphoto.com just looking at the different packages for the Rebel XT, XTi and some others. I'm pretty sure it's going to come down to one of those two. It's a tough decision, but I'm sure either one will blow me away considering I've only used a Pentax K1000 in the past.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm a satisfied D70s owner. I also strongly considered the XT; the decision was made based on small things; you can't go wrong with either brand.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

<--rebel xt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast