Couple of Digital SLR questions from a 35mm guy - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Couple of Digital SLR questions from a 35mm guy within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have an xt and my only real complaint so far is the AF on the kit lens. Other than ...

I have an xt and my only real complaint so far is the AF on the kit lens. Other than that its a great step up from an slr to a dslr. You can get the camera cheap from http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...SubCategory=12
    Wheel Painting Guide
    Bugeye Mafia Mbr #86 Takin it to da matresses.....

Kennett Fire Company No. 1 Station 24

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You know you don't HAVE to go with a Nikon or Canon right? Since you have used a Pentax k1000 maybe you'll have some lenses, you should look into the Pentax DSLRs. They have a new one coming out that is getting lots of hype the k10d, I think it's supposed to come out November 22nd. I personally am considering jumping to that or the D80, just waiting for the reviews of the k10d to come out.

The great thing about the k10d is that it has anti-dust features (like the XTi or Sony A100), image stabilization built into the body (like the A100), and it has weather seals (D200ish). I know the lens based image stabilization of Canon and Nikon is considered better, but if you don't have craploads of money to spend on lenses with VR or IS than the k10d seems pretty sweet.

Oh BTW the Nikon D80 is getting better reviews than the Canon XTi so you should look into it. I think the general consensus is that the D80 takes better pictures, but it does cost more (but also comes with a pretty good 18-135mm lens). Also, try out the Canon before you buy it because for me the grip is wayyyy too small and is very uncomfortable. That's enough reason for me to exclude the XT and XTi.
    -Eric
    Originally posted by lanevoell
    stand up for yourself, painter!
    Wesome +1

sorry for this being so long:

I am also in the market for a DSLR and have a lot of the same questions. I am comparing specs online and trying to pick the best one for me.

I have a very extesive video/film background with a tiny bit of still photography experience. I own a Canon AE-1 that I shot with in college. I got out of the video game in 04-05 because the new HD cameras that were coming out, I just couldnt afford to compete in the wedding videography business anymore, less experienced people with expensive cameras and editing equipment basically ran me out of business(I'm still bitter).

Anyway-- my dad recently got a Nikon D50 and I absolutely fell in love with it and am really excited to get into still photography (not professionally just as a hobby for now). I found myself borrowing my dads Nikon almost every weekend to take pics of my car, plus seeing some of the photos on this site that some people are capable of blew my socks off..

In the video world it is very well known (or at least it was 5 years ago) that Canon makes the best glass on the market, so naturally I was attracted to the XT and the XTi series until I found out that they are kind of small and I would rather a large camera (like the Nikon D50). I absolutely hate small flimsy video and still cameras, but the companies keep making them smaller cause people are lazy... So now I am looking at Nikon, either the D50 or the D70s and trying to decide if the differences of the D70s are worth the extra price.

I honestly dont feel I need a 10.1 mp DSLR-- im not gonna be making huge prints.

D70s pros:
    viewfinder grid
    depth of field preview
    CF card format
    better kit lens
    white balance fine tuning

D50 pros:
    price!
    rave reviews
    almost physically identical to the D70s (minus the above and a few others)

the D80 is out of the question for me price wise

so anyone with a D50 or D70s speak up
    Last edited by ElBartoRex; 12-08-2006 at 10:00 PM.
    Current: 05 Mini Cooper S R53
    Former: 06 Acura RSX Type-S
    Former: 00 Integra GSR
    Former: 07 Mazdaspeed3
    Former: 04 WRX Stage 2+
    www.jscspeed.com

I Support ClubWRX
    I have really loved my D70. I photographed the birth of both of my children with it. It is an outstanding camera.

However, I wouldn't mind upgrading to a D80 if somebody bought my D70 (body only) off of me... PM me if interested.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

D70 or D70s?
    www.jscspeed.com

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ElBartoRex View Post
    D70 or D70s?
    D70. As far as I know the only difference between the D70 & D70s is the lcd screen is slightly bigger on the "s" but it didn't come with the MS-D70 disposable CR-2 battery holder.
    Last edited by TheJ; 12-09-2006 at 09:37 AM.
    -The J

i got a D80 for my first DSLR camera. the controls are very easy to learn

if you are tight on money, i would go with a rebel xt or a D50. not as high tech as the higher end cameras but they still get the job done
    SOCAL F4#02 OG member

2002 PSM WRX stage 6
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    D70. As far as I know the only difference between the D70 & D70s is the lcd screen is slightly bigger on the "s" but it didn't come with the MS-D70 disposable CR-2 battery holder.
    My D70s 0wns joooo!!!

Kidding. I love my Nikon. I was led to believe from reviews that the kit lens with the 70 was better than with the 50. (Not enough of a lens expert to comment further)

The Rebel XT was the other contender in my price range. The specs I saw implied that the D70s would take more continuous pics (holding the button down) and at higher speed than the Canon. This was a consideration for me, since I photograph my kids in action a lot. You have to take a barrage of shots to find that one that works.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    This was a consideration for me, since I photograph my kids in action a lot. You have to take a barrage of shots to find that one that works.
    +1 Sometimes I take so many pictures, so fast, that it looks like stop action video.
    -The J

My D70s 0wns joooo!!!

Kidding. I love my Nikon. I was led to believe from reviews that the kit lens with the 70 was better than with the 50. (Not enough of a lens expert to comment further)
    this is true from what I understand- the D50 kit lens is a 18-55mm and the D70 kit lens is an 18-70mm.

things I dont like:
    neither the D50 nor the D70 or D70s have a B&W shooting mode-- has to be done in post

D70 uses CF card, D50 uses the smaller card

D50 has no depth of field preview

D80-D70 major differences:
    10.1mp compared to 6.1
    no battery grip on the D70
    135mm zoom on the D80 kit lens (70mm on the D70)
    In camera retouching on the D80
    Last edited by ElBartoRex; 12-09-2006 at 02:57 PM.
    www.jscspeed.com

I Support ClubWRX
    this is true from what I understand- the D50 kit lens is a 18-55mm and the D70 kit lens is an 18-70mm.

things I dont like:
    neither the D50 nor the D70 or D70s have a B&W shooting mode-- has to be done in post
    Interesting. I've actually read that it's desirable to do it in post, anyway. Is it your impression that B&W mode on a camera gets better results?
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I use a rebel xt, and while I have taken some nice shots sometimes im not completely satisfied, here is a larger image of the shot in my avatar,,

and a couple more

Interesting. I've actually read that it's desirable to do it in post, anyway. Is it your impression that B&W mode on a camera gets better results?
    I actually read the opposite, that if you are into B&W than its better to have a true B&W shooting mode rather than just make it in post. The source I read siad

"No Black and White Mode

If your passion is black and white photography, then the D50 isn't the right camera for you.

Many other digital SLRs like the Olympus E-330 and Canon 350D let you take photos in black and white.

The Nikon D50 does not have a black and white mode.

While it's easy enough to remove color from your photos using a software program, true black and white enthusiasts will want to consider other digital SLR cameras."

from http://www.digital-slr-guide.com/nikon-d50-guide.html
    www.jscspeed.com

I Support ClubWRX
    "No Black and White Mode

If your passion is black and white photography, then the D50 isn't the right camera for you.

Many other digital SLRs like the Olympus E-330 and Canon 350D let you take photos in black and white.

While it's easy enough to remove color from your photos using a software program, true black and white enthusiasts will want to consider other digital SLR cameras."

I guess what I'm wondering is why it's superior to have the mode on the camera, versus creating the greytones in post-processing. Not questioning it, just curious. The article doesn't really give a reason.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I actually read the opposite, that if you are into B&W than its better to have a true B&W shooting mode rather than just make it in post. The source I read siad

"No Black and White Mode

That is wrong.
    you should never shoot in BW mode if you want the most from your pictures. BW photography uses alot of filters becuase diff colors can look the same shade in BW. For example in food photography a red and green pepper might look the same so you use a filter to change the contrast and make the shades different between the too. When you shoot color and convert to BW you can controll this effect with the channel mixer and apply pretty much the eqivilant of any color filter to the photo to get the perfect contrast of tones. Of course if you want BW shoot film cuase its 100 Times better. http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...lack-white.htm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast