Hi all, need advice!

This is a discussion on Hi all, need advice! within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi all, it's been a while I'm enjoying the GTO life but I do miss this place, I come here ...

Hi all, need advice!

Hi all, it's been a while
    I'm enjoying the GTO life but I do miss this place, I come here every few days and lurk around a bit to see who's up to no good

Anyway, I know alot of the members here are awesome photographers, and I figured this would be as good a place as any to ask for some advice...

So I'm looking at getting a digital SLR camera. I know next to nothing about the technical aspect of them as far as what kinds of specs I should be looking for. I'm planning on prints as large as 16"x16" so I need something good quality, and preferably under 1000 bucks.

I've been developing my own film for years and I love it, but I'm tired of smelling like developer all the time

Anyway, any particuar brands or models you recommend?

Oh, and I raced a modded STi earlier today....he beat me
    New England F4
    www.OddTopic.net - my pet project, come say hello!
    '02 BUGEYE
    "One's level of fear is directly proportional to their preparedness for it's source"
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered Whippersnapper mustangtx63's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kush View Post
    Oh, and I raced a modded STi earlier today....he beat me
    he he he....
    ~ Retired Blobeye Syndicate #063 ~
    2011 Ford F-150 ECOBOOST 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by mustangtx63 View Post
    he he he....
    In my defense, I was spinning my tires through third gear, but yeah, he beat me fair and square. Gotta get those drag radials I gues hahaha
    Stupid RWD cars......
    New England F4
    '02 BUGEYE
    "One's level of fear is directly proportional to their preparedness for it's source"
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    I am by no means an "expert" on photography. However, I am a fan (and user) of Nikon SLRs. I have a D70 but it's old news now. For the size shots you are looking for, I would look at the D80. You can check it out on CNET, Nikon or other sites for the specs but suffice to say, it is very nice. You can pick one up for under a grand but that would be for the body only. Spend a little more and you can get a kit with the Nikor lens included...
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    http://www.dpreview.com/

Great info here.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

well i'm pretty much from the other side of the fence(canon) so take that into consideration. my general take on the nikon vs canon debate is that generally i think nikons have a better feel\build quality but i think you get more bang for your buck with canon. that said, i've never had any issue with any canon i've ever owned so i'm not saying they break all the time, i just think nikons feel a bit more substantial. think bmw vs subaru. now all that said if i were looking to spend a grand i would probably get a rebel xt or xti and a decent lense or two. you could probably find a 20D for under a grand now but then you're stuck with the kit lense which isn't great by any means. I actually started my foray into digital with a 20D but decided I didn't really need it and downgraded to a rebel xt. While there are a couple of features I do miss I haven't really noticed a difference in picture quality. So in my experience I think money is better spent on a nice varitey of lenses rather putting everything into the body.

anything dslr with 6 or more mp and you will have at least 10x15 inch prints. 8 mp and 20x30 easily. rebel xt or xti or 20d or 30d will all work well. Or nikon d50 d70 or better will work fine too. Canon glass > nikon glass, Nikon flash > Canon Flash.

Quote Originally Posted by Kush View Post
    In my defense, I was spinning my tires through third gear, but yeah, he beat me fair and square. Gotta get those drag radials I gues hahaha
    Stupid RWD cars......
    come back to awd
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Quote Originally Posted by rr1911 View Post
    come back to awd
    NEVARR!!!!111!!11

Actually in a few years I'll have the cash to look into a second car, I'll seriously consider another rex, hopefully an STi if I have the money. I need something for the wintertime - I can't drive the GTO in the snow, it barely stays straight in the rain hahaha

Thanks alot for the advice on the cameras guys!
    New England F4
    '02 BUGEYE
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

what color is the gto ?
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

They call it Cyclone Gray Metallic, it's pretty much gray with some blue tinting.
    Bad pics, but you get the idea:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0299.JPG   gto.JPG  
    Last edited by Kush; 11-02-2006 at 06:26 AM.
    New England F4
    '02 BUGEYE
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!