Sunday Drive(56k) 10-8-06

This is a discussion on Sunday Drive(56k) 10-8-06 within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So this week I actually woke up in the morning and got started right around 9. It was entirely too ...

Sunday Drive(56k) 10-8-06

So this week I actually woke up in the morning and got started right around 9. It was entirely too cold for early October and the outlook for the rest of the day was significantly lowered. It ended up being a nice little day though as the sun finally came out. This one is a bit shorter than the last one mainly because I got hungry and was near my house but anywaysÖEnjoy.

Otterville Rd SR643
    -2 lane double shot treated tarmac
    -no posted speed limit
    -?.?Mi (Iím not sure I want people knowing where I live)
    This is where I live so this is where I start. Simple enough right?

Cloudy Morning

Jopling Rd SR643
    -2.5 lane double shot treated tarmac
    -no posted speed limit
    -4.6mi (122 to 43)
    I realized today the reason I like this road. Itís wide. Usually the standard country rd is just 2 lanes wide so it takes so getting used to in order for passing to occur. This road on the other hand is probably the widest of itsí type Iíve been on. I decided I needed some breakfast so I thought I would check out the apple orchard.

This is a fun little turn in the winter when you can actually see through it

To the orchard

Wheats Valley SR640
    -2 lane double shot treated tarmac
    -no posted speed limit
    -2.2mi (to apple orchard)
    Well I forgot it was Sunday so of course the good Christians at the apple orchard were not working. I ďfound oneĒ on a tree and turned back. Itís a decent little road and actually continues past the orchard for a while going past the reservoir.

Turkey Buzzard silhouette

43N
    -2 lane asphalt
    -55\35mph
    -4.2mi (643 to the Blue Ridge parkway)
    This is the fun section I was talking about last week. Basically it has 4 or 5 nice tight switchbacks right before it turns into the parkway.

Headed up

The horses tail makes it

Switchbacks

Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP)
    -2 lane asphalt
    -45mph
    -9 mi to sunset fields overlook
    Well right when I got on the parkway I was smack dab in the middle of the fog. It actually made for some very cool shots. I stopped at the peaks of Otter Lake and the falling cascades. The trail for the falling cascades is posted at 2000ft but it seemed a bit longer.

Entrance to the BRP

Peaks of Otter Lake shot

and another one

cool little root path

Flat top trailhead

Starting to turn to fall

Path to the falling cascades

The falling cascades

SR812
    -2 lane loose\medium pack gravel
    -3.3 mi (BRP to apple orchard falls rd)
    Last week when I said occasionally you will find a gem in the fire roads this is what I meant. To be honest I have been down this road before but I though I would go check out apple orchard falls. The gravel on this road is generally very well kept and the roads path is about as crooked as the devil if I may use the expression (I do live in the middle of nowhere). While 3.3mi is all I did, this road goes on forever and branches out quite a bit if youíre in for more.

Crazy wide gravel

rex tracks in the fog

Apple Orchard Falls Rd
    -1 lane mud\compressed gravel
    -2 mi
    This road was not nearly as well kept. It was quite muddy with a number of exposed rocks and uneven surfaces. Side note: The foot trail to apple orchard falls is about 1\2 mile for those that would like to take the hike.

Bridges

Apparently this is what I drove\hiked all the way here for

Bridge to nowhere

The rex is a bit dirty at this point

SR812 (coming back up)
    -2 lane loose\medium pack gravel
    -3.3 mi
    Just coming the other way but always notice I like going down a bit more than going up. Generally the tail is a little happier on the way down.

Back up in the fog

BRP
    -2 lane asphalt
    -45mph
    -14.5mi (sunset fields overlook to 501)
    Back on the parkway the fog lifted a bit in sections; it seemed to be hanging in the middle of the mountain. The leaves have definitely started changing but mostly at high elevation. With the rain I would guess it will be another 2 weeks before they get completely golden.

Cleared right up on top

Above the clouds and dirty

They were chasing me though

501 N\S
    -2 lane asphalt
    -55mph
    -.8mi N (BRP to H&H market) 4mi S (H&H to 501\130 intersection)
    I needed a drink and some gas so a trip to the H&H was in order. Not really significant but what is significant was my purchase there. Anyways after that I headed north to take a run on the mountain.

My purchase

501\130N
    -2 lane asphalt
    -55mph
    -6 mi (501\130 intersection to what I consider the end of the mountain)
    I got a nice little run on the mountain in as this is pretty much a must on the Sunday drive. Snapped a couple pics with my new toy and continued on.

Oh yeah itís gettin down

this really is gettin down

Sometimes this program is on point and sometimes the stitch lines are pretty blatant

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

5 ///M5s
    So maybe a mile after Iím finished with the mountain I notice a BMW M5 going up to the mountain. Then I noticed 4 other M5s right behind him. Now one m5 around here is rare enough but you just donít see 5 of them running around together so I decided they were up to something and turned around to investigate. At this point I didnít really have time to stop and take pictures or check the mileage so this section is simply the 5 m5s section. To their credit they were driving a lot harder than I would have assumed a bunch of m5 guys would be driving. I would say on the mountain(take into account Iíve driven this road a million times and my car is 1000+lbs lighter) I was going about 7\10ths of the Subaruís ability. Obviously they would pull in the straights but it was nothing I couldnít make up in the next corner. After the mountain we turned onto 501s and got on the parkway (where I had just come from). At this point the burgundy m5 parted ways. We continued on up the mountain on the parkway towards the peaks of otter occasionally getting hemmed up. At one point we ran up on an old subie 2.5rs and he led the pack for a while until he dropped to the back and let the m5s lead. When we finally stopped at the peaks of otter, I found out I had met the guy driving the leading m5 on Friday at the dealership where he was getting some stoptechs put on. They were good people and we took some pictures and I headed down 43 so I could get some shots of them from the front. After that, my stomach started overpowering the sounds of the cars and I went home for lunch.

Definitely donít see this everyday

On 130

BRP through the fog

A 2.5rs joined in

E60

Hawaii Plates

Doesnít the plate sort of defeat the concept?

Trying out the new stoptechs

All together now

From the back

I finally left them alone after this

Hurricane Dr SR 639
    -2 lane compacted gravel
    -4 mi (643 to 122)
    This wasnít really part of my Sunday drive but I ended up taking it to go to a friendís house and I figured I should probably include it. This road seems to have suffered a similar fate to Oslin creek as the gravel has gotten really compacted with potholes popping up more often. This is a great road when it gets new gravel as the country is just amazing as it opens up into fields in the valley.

Beautiful day

NASCAR ainít got nothin fer this

Cow shot for the day

501S
    -2 lane asphalt
    -55mph
    -10 mi (122 to Boonsboro)
    This is sort of another extension I just threw in as it would be a shame to not include it. This is the lower section of 501 that goes into Lynchburg. Previously Iíve only written up the upper portion. This road has some very nice wide and tight turns but some of the sections are spaced out a bit. On a surfacing note: The long sweeper going up the hill after the paper mill got some brand sparkin new asphalt and was feeling very nice. Unfortunately it doesnít last long.

Another Wide shot

New Pavement

Until next week

I Support ClubWRX
    Wow! Outstanding pics!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Nice pics. Looks very moist.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

beautiful. Looks like you had fun!
    -Bruce