The Last Photo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on The Last Photo within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Below is one of the very last photos (1 of 3) that I shot of my good friend Jose, approximately ...

The Last Photo

Below is one of the very last photos (1 of 3) that I shot of my good friend Jose, approximately five minutes before he lost his life in a horrific accident this past Saturday evening, October 7, 2006. The time stamp on the image was 16:46:38 (4:46:38); however, my camera clock was five minutes fast; therefore, the actual time was 4:41:38 PM. My cell phone call log indicates that I dialed 9-1-1 at 4:47:03 PM CDT.

Jose was a friend of a little over ten years, first meeting in the New Orleans Delta Region SCCA Chapter. We would later serve on the Board of Directors; he the Regional Executive, I the Editor. He ran in BP in a Corvette, I in CSP in an RX7. He would later run in SS in a Viper, then Z06, then most recently in his new 2006 Viper GTS coupe. He was extremely generous and had a great sense of humor.

We met up with Jose at the road races Saturday afternoon at our local track, No Problem Raceway in Belle Rose, Louisiana - about an hour southwest of New Orleans. We were on our way home when we caught up with Jose traveling on La 3127, a relatively smooth, two-lane black-top road on a clear blue, early fall evening, the sun lowering in the sky behind us. I shot three frames, and then we passed him by to settle in for the ride home. He waved at Shawn (my 18 yr old son) and me and gave a big smile and we cruised on with him and another friend in tow.

A few minutes later Jose came around us on the left in the northbound lane, heading south and continued in that lane, not moving back into our lane after passing us. There were no other cars in front of us. He had cleared us by at least two hundred yards when I first saw the oncoming vehicle in the north bound lane; the same lane Jose was traveling south in. We kept waiting for him to move back into our lane, but he didn't – we’ll never know why. I began slowing and moving to the shoulder to allow all the room possible for what I feared was about to happen. At the last possible moment, with maybe 100 - 200 feet between the rapidly closing vehicles, they both moved in the opposite directions - each to their respective right, with Jose coming across our lane, leaving the road onto the grass becoming airborne over a ditch, cart wheeling at least once, shedding two corners of the suspension and all of the Viper's body panels and glass and coming to rest on its roof. And he was gone. The other vehicle continued on down the road, thankfully, undamaged, although I'm sure, its occupants shaken.

Between Shawn and me we have taken hundreds of photos of Jose over the past ten years at various autocross events and club gatherings. We had been talking as recently as this past Friday night (my 47th birthday) about getting together to shoot his new car, if we could only find the time. Even when we met up at the track his car was so dusty from driving down the shell access road to where we were shooting in Turn 1 that I didn’t bother taking any photos. If I had only known things were going to turn out this way, huh? Strangely enough, my Yugoslavian friend Coco told Shawn and I no less than five times Saturday, in his best broken English, “Man, don’t stress out over money and work and all that stuff. Life is too short. We are only here for a few minutes.” I just laughed and told him, “If I had your money I would worry a lot less.” When Coco returned to the accident scene later that evening I couldn’t help but think how prophetic his words now seemed in light of what happened later that day.

Respectfully, I ask that you do not deteriorate this thread into a “crash” topic. That is not what this is about. I wrote this to provide a story behind a photo that I shot this past weekend. Its importance being that it is the last photo of my friend…period. You never know when you are taking your last photo so make them count.

Jose was a dentist. I always called him “Doc” out of respect for his profession and what it took to get him there.

Godspeed, Doc, Godspeed.

Curtis

EDIT: I revised the photo to correct a greenish color cast and the grammatical error of the text. cvb

Last edited by TurbeauxREX; 10-15-2006 at 01:07 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I dont even know how to respond to this. nice picture, and he will be in my prayers.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry about your friend Curtis.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    Sorry about your friend Curtis.
    Same here. Really nice post.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Princess Moderator

I Support ClubWRX
    Great pic.

Sorry to hear your loss, Photos are forever lasting memory. I hope his family the best... and you as well.
    Jennifer - "Consigliere" for the Bugeye Mafia
    ScoobyDMCtt - Blobeye Syndicate #007
    04 STi ECU - with Protune - FSTi Garrett GT40 -- 422whp-more to come... 12.86 @ 105

BoBBy TuNED@ preracing.com --- DIFFERENT STROKES

Wow. This really touched me, I'm sorry dude.
    <--- Robert

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Peachypumpkincheeks

Wow, amazing post! Thanks for sharing that touching story and photo. Your dear friend will be in my thoughts and prayers.
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Thank you all for your kind words and sentiments.

Peace,

Curtis

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    I'm sorry to hear the tragic news. RIP Jose.
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 03WRX_YELLOW
    Great pic.

Sorry to hear your loss, Photos are forever lasting memory. I hope his family the best... and you as well.

ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Sorry to hear this.. RIP Jose
    New England F4
    Bugeye Mafia
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500
    03 Subaru WRX (SOLD)
    01 CBR 929 (SOLD)
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    nothing funny about stubble on the man-marbles.

That is a truly tragic story. As stated, pictures are a lasting memory of the good times you so eloquently remember. I hope all is well for his family, friends, and you. In my prayers for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by 03WRX_YELLOW
    Great pic.

me too man !
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Sorry to hear about the tragic loss. My condolances.
    My water heater has a blow off valve.

Again, thank you all for your kind sentiments. This has been a tough one.

I've been through some hard things in my life, personally; cancer & heart disease to name a couple. But nothing has hit me like witnessing this accident and the helpless feeling I had. If we would have at least had a chance to help revive him, but, he was gone in an instant. At least, I hope, it was painless.

Thanks again. You're all good people. Take care.

Peace,

Curtis

Tell the ones you love, that you love them....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast