Snapshot of the day - Page 473

This is a discussion on Snapshot of the day within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by WRXie That's awesome! I love rolling shots. +1...you can see that back right wheel off the ground....

Quote Originally Posted by WRXie View Post
    That's awesome! I love rolling shots.
    +1...you can see that back right wheel off the ground.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

you know your haulin' A** when your doors are flying open due to side to side g forces!!

Flirty User That's Younger Than the Chunks of Corn in Brian's Crap

Someone should teach me how to take those.
    2002 WRX Yellow Blaze

Bugeye Mafia #216

High Mileage Club

goofin around, shot a few pics when I got home

All are edited, some just a touch and some quite a bit. Enjoy
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Nice! And I totally hadn't noticed your license plate before - love it!
    2002 WRX Yellow Blaze

Bugeye Mafia #216

High Mileage Club

Thanks

yeah I've had that plate on there a while now. Va personal plates are CHEAP .. so I got some. lol Only an extra $10/yr over the normal registration.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    Thanks

yeah I've had that plate on there a while now. Va personal plates are CHEAP .. so I got some. lol Only an extra $10/yr over the normal registration.
    I haven't looked at how much vanity plates are in TN but I don't think they're cheap.

EDIT: I just looked it up, it goes from $35 to $70 depending on what kind of plate I'd be looking into
    2002 WRX Yellow Blaze

Bugeye Mafia #216

High Mileage Club

A rolling shot?

You just need a really fast shutter speed for the most part. There are other components to make the shot look as good as Rogan's but a fast shutter speed is the key thing. Depending on speed of the car, anything faster than 1/250 and a steady hand will work well.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    A rolling shot?

You just need a really fast shutter speed for the most part. There are other components to make the shot look as good as Rogan's but a fast shutter speed is the key thing. Depending on speed of the car, anything faster than 1/250 and a steady hand will work well.
    Rogan's shot is a panning shot...a rolling shot is a bit different, usually taken either car-to-car or rig-to-car.

1/250 shutter is WAY too fast for a rolling or panning shot, unless your goal is to pick up water or dirt that's being splashed by the car or some type of collision with bits and pieces flying everywhere. The reason why 1/250 is too fast is because you'll pretty much stop motion on the wheels spinning, and the car will look like it's just motionless.

Generally, for panning and car-to-car rolling shots, you want to set your shutter to the inverse of the speed of the car. Thus, if the car is going about 60 mph, start with setting your shutter speed to 1/60. If you set it a little faster, you'll get more definition on the wheel spokes, and if you set it a little slower, you'll get more of a sense of speed.

For example, this shot was taken at 1/40 sec:

This one was taken at 1/60 sec:

But this one was taken at 1/125 sec:

And these two were taken at 1/160 sec:

Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Rogan's shot is a panning shot...a rolling shot is a bit different, usually taken either car-to-car or rig-to-car.
    just to clarify....is your definition of a panning shot, that you are stationary just turning your body to keep the car in the same spot on the camera and not blur with the background??

Good lesson!!!

So a panning shot requires a slower shutter speed (inverse to mph) and moving the camera with the object you wish to have in-focus? Must you be stationary for this?

And if you're using a faster shutter speed and taking a rolling of a car and the photographer is in a car next to the subject car how do you utilize a blurred background but still use a shutter speed quick enough to keep the focus on the car clear? Would that just require setting the aperture/fstop correctly for field of depth focus?

I'm trying to remember what I learned in class, but we learned so much it gets jumbled up in my head.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 1speed...FAST! View Post
    just to clarify....is your definition of a panning shot, that you are stationary just turning your body to keep the car in the same spot on the camera and not blur with the background??
    This is absolutely correct.

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    Good lesson!!!

So a panning shot requires a slower shutter speed (inverse to mph) and moving the camera with the object you wish to have in-focus? Must you be stationary for this?

And if you're using a faster shutter speed and taking a rolling of a car and the photographer is in a car next to the subject car how do you utilize a blurred background but still use a shutter speed quick enough to keep the focus on the car clear? Would that just require setting the aperture/fstop correctly for field of depth focus?

I'm trying to remember what I learned in class, but we learned so much it gets jumbled up in my head.
    Panning shots are stationary, and "slower" is relative...like I said, it all depends on how fast the car is going. If the car's only going like 20 mph and you use a shutter speed of 1/100, no doubt the wheels will have little motion to them. Then again, trying to do a panning shot at 1/20 sec is extremely difficult.

As for car-to-car rolling shots, the blurred background is going to depend more on the speed of the car than messing with the aperture. If the car is next to a wall or barrier, the closeness will make that blurred, but stuff far away will look rather still. Here's an example of this...notice the wall is very blurred, but the clouds and landscape are not:

If you guys haven't seen it, check out my automotive photography tutorial on NASIOC:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1263892

Or, I can just repost it here in this forum if you like...whatever works.
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

Rolling shots are easy. Panning shots are a *****.
    Rogan: Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly.
    Mods List Build Thread
    Bugeye Mafia #196 High Mileage Club
    Fully Built EJ257 HYBRID & JDM STI 6-Speed

Miniature Awesomness

This is all news to me.
    2002 WRX Yellow Blaze

Bugeye Mafia #216

High Mileage Club

Lol at RWD Scion...beast of a car though!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying