Random photos
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Random photos within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; These were taken with a Digital Rebel XT, with the stock 18-55mm lens or a Canon 75-300mm telephoto lens. I ...

Random photos

These were taken with a Digital Rebel XT, with the stock 18-55mm lens or a Canon 75-300mm telephoto lens. I see alot of great photographers on here so if you have any suggestions I'd like to hear them!

Wheel Painting Guide
    Bugeye Mafia Mbr #86 Takin it to da matresses.....

Kennett Fire Company No. 1 Station 24

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

shoot manual, crop the horizons to be level, add some saturation and levels in photoshop

Read up on the 'Rule of thirds'. Resist placing your subject in the center of the frame. If your XT has selectable focus points, learn how to use them. This will allow you to determine what area of your view finder (and image) will be of the central focus.

And, I've got to ask, what is that creature in the second shot?

Peace,

Curtis

^^^^^^^^

Yep, as gunna say all the same things. It is visually more interesting for things to be off center. Learn to use your focus hold button (for lack of a better term) it is the star button that is on the back of your grip (left button of the 2 zoom in zom out buttons). Focus in the middle then hit that button then shift your scene around and it will keep focus on your original object.

For Example:

That was shot in the American Museum in DC using that technique. Nice museum!

Your shots are pretty good man, just be more mindful when you take pictures. Experiment with taking the most interesting perspective. Take one shot of a subject then get up and move around and take another of the same subject.

Enjoy and keep shooting!

~myke
    ::2004 JBP WRX::

Thanks for being so helpful. I'll try to remember everything when I go shooting next. Ive also been reading alot of the tutorials that I found links to on this forum, so hopefully I have alot that I can try to apply when shooting next. I used manual mode for the dog (2nd pic, its a westhighland terrier) and the cat. The skiing shots were done in action mode, Im just not good enough yet to adjust the shutter and apeture that fast. As far as levels go, are the shots still overexposed? I adjusted levels a bit in photoshop already, but Im not a good judge of exposure.

-Mark
    Last edited by MarkF4E; 09-16-2006 at 11:05 AM.
    Wheel Painting Guide
    Bugeye Mafia Mbr #86 Takin it to da matresses.....

Kennett Fire Company No. 1 Station 24

Mark, man, your photos look really good! The black and white stuff is pretty solid, for sure, and you seem to be doing pretty well with using a good depth of field to highlight the subject.

A all the advice in here is pretty good. Rule of thirds is one of those rules that can be key, but is also made to be broken. Proper alignment of the subject is really important, but it's also important to get the crop just right. I rarely use the whole frame of a picture I shoot, but crop it down to really bring the focus on the subject.

Some people like photos with high saturation (I tend to), while others like a more muted photo. Depends on the taste of the viewer, and (moreso) on the taste of the photographer! You've got the right idea, though! Keep it up, shoot as often as possible, and don't be caught wihtout your camera!

Can't wait to line something up with you, man. I'm looking to open up a little in mid-october. Are you going to be making it out to any more of the Philly/AI events?
    In short: HLGBGUAHUGLABLAGUHGALGHAGHL
    Mods::Pics

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.