Still Trying (GTO Pictures)
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Still Trying (GTO Pictures) within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have been trying to find some time to sneak a few pictures of my car lately and finally got ...

Still Trying (GTO Pictures)

I have been trying to find some time to sneak a few pictures of my car lately and finally got a chance last night. As you will see, I have not had much practice and still really suck at photography. At any rate, I had just cleaned and polished the GTO and figured I'd try to get a few pictures in. I would love any and all comments/criticism on these shots as I need some help figuring out where I'm going wrong. The pictures were taken with a tripod with a Canon Digital Rebel XT through a Sigma 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 lense (trying it out from a friend, I only have the kit lense ) I used a Speedlite 420EX on some of the pictures. All of them were taken in RAW but I just have the standard processing software that it came with. I know I need to invest, but I am trying to nail some techniques down first.

What should I have done to eliminate those spots of glare?

Sorry for all the pictures, thanks for all the help.
    Last edited by bvbull200; 08-01-2006 at 05:10 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My unprofessional opinion:
    One needs to show the rest of the car.
    Two should be from the side or come around to show more of the front.
    Three should show the whole wheel and tire.
    Four is tilted a teensy bit.
    Five is blurry but isn't bad.
    Six is cropped to tight.
    Seven see two.

Is the car orange btw?
    tim price
    Blobeye Syndicate #100

your not going to eliminate the shiny spots when the car is that clean, unless you are good a photoshop. Ask armin..hehe

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Not bad for a first try or so...here's some suggestions...

1. Don't cut off parts of the car unless you're trying to focus on something in particular. For this shot, there really isn't much of a focus on anything, so it almost looks like you just accidentally clicked the shutter.

2. Be mindful of your frame...you cut off the edge of the front bumper on this one. As for the glare (aka lens flare), the simple solution is to not shoot directly into a light source. That's the main cause of lens flare. You could try using a lens hood but I don't think it'd make a difference in this particular case.

3. Again, don't know what you're focusing on here exactly, aside from the fact that the picture is a little out of focus overall.

4. This shot would've been pretty decent if the car was in focus and you didn't have the nasty lens flare. It's tough to shoot at night, so don't worry too much...you just have to pay extra special attention to your light sources.

5. See #3

6. This shot is a little too tight...not enough space around the sides, making it feel cramped. You also have the shadow side facing the camera, which doesn't work all that great, aside from being a little out of focus overall.

7. You've got some lens flare again, along with shooting on the shadow side and being too tight of a crop.

You're off to a decent start...just keep these in mind for next time
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Vice President and Editorial Manager, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 15 Audi S3 "Ella" | 2010 A4 (traded in) | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

Thanks for the comments (and anyone else, feel free to chime in). I think the majority of the shots that I have taken are very "run-of -the-mill" subject in the middle pictures. I think I'm probably trying a little too hard to make something out of nothing. I see what you mean by having a focal point. I had a few pictures that didn't leave out part of the wheel and such, but they turned out VERY blurry. Maybe I'll give it another go tonight while the car is still clean!

Is the car orange btw?
    It does look like that with some of these pictures. It is Torrid Red (like the standard "Fire-Engine Red" or any other sports-car red), but seemd to turn up kind of orange with the way some of these shots turned out. I guess because of my inferior skills/equipment for RAW conversion?
    Last edited by bvbull200; 08-01-2006 at 10:37 AM.

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bvbull200
    It does look like that with some of these pictures. It is Torrid Red (like the standard "Fire-Engine Red" or any other sports-car red), but seemd to turn up kind of orange with the way some of these shots turned out. I guess because of my inferior skills/equipment for RAW conversion?
    You've just gotta make sure you get the white balance right. Easy fix
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Vice President and Editorial Manager, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 15 Audi S3 "Ella" | 2010 A4 (traded in) | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.